Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Houstonians have a thick southern accent?
Yes 23 22.12%
No 81 77.88%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 05:53 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times

Advertisements

Why do people assume Minneapolis/St. Paul residents have Minnesota accents? Accents are always weaker in urban areas than rural areas.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:20 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Why do people assume Minneapolis/St. Paul residents have Minnesota accents? Accents are always weaker in urban areas than rural areas.

Oh really? LOL.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:25 PM

As to Houston, the only real quirks I can pick up are

'Uge. The dropping of H's by natives.
Ummmm said with pursed lips and a drawl.
Ya'll, but it's not as common as it used to be.

I don't hear "brang" or "narth"...where the heck did that come from? I haven't heard "Twoosdee" outside of the Piney Woods and NC.

It's Texas FootBALL...not bowl, everyone knows that.

Some of these terms seem far more Far east Texas/LA/Alablama than Houston.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:32 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
With Houston being a draw for Louisiana and Mississippi people, there may be a noticeable accent in Houston.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:39 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
It's true, all of us natives sound like the people in all these videos. And all us whites really do sound like Paul Wall.

On a more serious note, I think this article pretty much nailed it. Kept me from losing in IQ point as I flipped through this trainwreck.

Some of you really need to get away from your block a little more.
yeah, that's what i said. every single person in houston sounds like the people in those videos ....the only point i was trying to prove was against those people saying there is no southern accent in houston.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
As to Houston, the only real quirks I can pick up are

'Uge. The dropping of H's by natives.
Ummmm said with pursed lips and a drawl.
Ya'll, but it's not as common as it used to be.

I don't hear "brang" or "narth"...where the heck did that come from? I haven't heard "Twoosdee" outside of the Piney Woods and NC.

It's Texas FootBALL...not bowl, everyone knows that.

Some of these terms seem far more Far east Texas/LA/Alablama than Houston.
did you watch the videos posted? it was clear that these people born and raised in houston spoke with undeniable southern accents. you will definitely hear things like "brang", "tuesdee", and "huerston" in this city.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
did you watch the videos posted? it was clear that these people born and raised in houston spoke with undeniable southern accents. you will definitely hear things like "brang", "tuesdee", and "huerston" in this city.

I tend to listen to the natives around me, not those selected for a video.

I'm native and I don't say brang, tuesdee or huerston. Sorry, that's not native but country. Two different things.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I tend to listen to the natives around me, not those selected for a video.
those were natives

Quote:
I'm native and I don't say brang, tuesdee or huerston. Sorry, that's not native but country. Two different things.
oh lord ....you're missing the point. once again, i am not saying that EVERYBODY in houston speaks like that. what i'm saying is that in those areas of houston that are the least infected by outside influences (settegast for example), you will find that southern accent

a majority of houstonians are either not originally from the area, or live in a part of the city where there are thousands of people from all over the country and the world, so of course houston's southern accent won't be prevalent. that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:48 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,568 times
Al Green, you don't live here. You aren't a Houstonian. You aren't a native Houstonian. I am. You're wrong. Wrong in every Houston post. Why keep posting here? Why?

Old 08-15-2010, 09:56 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Al Green, you don't live here. You aren't a Houstonian. You aren't a native Houstonian. I am. You're wrong. Wrong in every Houston post. Why keep posting here? Why?
ha, he was the first person I encountered when I joined the forum, who constantly made far off assumptions about Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston