Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 50,519 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I did a search, but couldn't find any relevant information to my question of traveling through Houston.

I am traveling from Austin to Pensacola, FL for a wedding on labor day weekend, and had planned to take hwy 71 to I-10, then straight through to FL. We are looking to leave Austin at 5 am on a Thursday, so I am naturally worried about getting stuck in rush hour traffic at 8 am with an infant on board - (we have too much stuff to fly, and are trying to keep travel costs low).

Alternatively, I was thinking of taking 71 to Bastrop, then 21 to hwy 290. From there, taking the Sam Houston toll road (I have a TXTag) around Houston back down to I-10.

Do any of you Houston natives know of a better way? 5 am is our anticipated time to leave, but if you all think it is necessary, we "could" push it up to 4 am if that would help out tremendously, but no later than 5:30 am because we don't want to be on the road too late into the night with our newborn.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 02:23 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,370,070 times
71 to 10 is your best bet. They have Pay/HOV lanes now, so if you want to avoid any chance of a back up until you reach 610, that's you best bet. Even on the regular lanes you will move pretty well to just inside 610. Then you will crawl for about 15 minutes and then you will take off again. It's really not that bad anymore.

Don't hit 290 at any point for any reason! You will be parked if you do.

PS, most of the morning traffic is over with at 8:30 am if that helps you.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:34 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,564,242 times
Ditto 71 to 10 and forget about 290.

If things get jammed up on I-10 inside the beltway, you can hop on it (tolls) and go south, then back around to I-10. The south and south-east parts of the beltway flow fast 24/7.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:47 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,171,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dawg_02 View Post
take hwy 71 to I-10, then straight through to FL. We are looking to leave Austin at 5 am on a Thursday, so I am naturally worried about getting stuck in rush hour traffic at 8 am

think it is necessary, we "could" push it up to 4 am if that would help out tremendously
Your plan is good. If you leave earlier (4am), you will hit Houston at 7am, traffic is not terrible yet. You'll be thru traffic fairly quickly. Remember, once you hit downtown, you are going against inbound traffic, and won't have any significant traffic.

It sounds like you will have 2-3 or more in your car. You can use the HOV/carpool lanes on I-10 inbound (Katy towards downtown) for free. That will make it even easier.

You shouldn't have a problem.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:08 PM

234 posts, read 677,711 times
I-10 to BW8 South - Back to I10 or even a scenic route where u can exit Hwy 225 on BW8 and take the Hartmann Bridge over the bay and reach I10 further eastwards..... good luck.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:43 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,769,041 times
I was thinking leave around 6, cause that would put you near the end of rush hour in Houston at 9am...right?

Old 08-18-2010, 06:59 PM

16 posts, read 125,159 times
Thumbs up I have driven several times to Pensacola and here are my suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Your plan is good. If you leave earlier (4am), you will hit Houston at 7am, traffic is not terrible yet. You'll be thru traffic fairly quickly. Remember, once you hit downtown, you are going against inbound traffic, and won't have any significant traffic.

It sounds like you will have 2-3 or more in your car. You can use the HOV/carpool lanes on I-10 inbound (Katy towards downtown) for free. That will make it even easier.

You shouldn't have a problem.
I agree with astrohip. We have driven to Perdido/Pensacola probably twelve times in the past year from Houston. Be careful when you get to to central downtown area of Houston on I-10 as you have to be in the center lane to maintain course on I-10...otherwise you will be forced to take an exit you should not be taking. This was always a problem for us. Also when you enter the large bridge at Baton Rouge, LA you will encounter the same problem with lane changes/exits. It is my opinion that you should get in the left lane prior to entering the bridge as the right lane at the base of the bridge merges with another which thus creates traffic in the middle lane so the left lane is best in my opinion. When you get halfway over it I would lane change to the middle lane so that you can make the appropriate exit you need to take to maintain course. There is also a traffic site something like geaux baton rouge that I would highly suggest logging onto as the last few times we drove there was construction in Baton Rouge on I-10 which will slow you down a good 20-30 minutes. Also when you are in Alabama stop for gas if you are running low as there are no gas stations for several miles prior to entering Florida. I think the first set of gas stations in Florida are at Pine Forest Exit and their prices are much higher there (I tell you this from experience b/c we coasted into Florida on fumes and had to purchase gas at one of the stations that probably "banks" off of those of us who have made that mistake).

Few other tips. In Houston I am accustomed to aggressive drivers but Louisiana is much worse. People will drive right on your tail end. Also do not speed on the low lying bridges that you will be crossing (the ones that last for miles as there are always cops there to ticket you...I think it is the Henderson Swamp/Atchfalya basin - excuse my spelling). Believe me they will pull you over on this bridge and ticket you so do not speed. Also I would not stop at most places along I-10 in LA to eat or go to the bathroom as it is really hit or miss. There is a place called Desi's at the beginning of the Louisiana portion which has clean bathrooms. I think there is a Chick Fil A north of I-10 in Baton Rouge that is nice as well. I would definitely plan out the bathroom portion as so many of the places we stopped were disgusting.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:00 PM

346 posts, read 736,111 times
Dont even worry about traffic just take I-10 and if you want to take a loop use 610 not beltway 8 around the northeast side because there are lights and stops and the traffic is still terrible not to mention major construction along that section of the beltway especilaly around hwy 90. So just hit 10 and ride that much shorter, and don't worry about the traffic, because at rush hour there is no such as avoiding traffic.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:41 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,902,696 times
Look, dude, you need to avoid IH-10 in downtown Houston like the plague, ok? I drive that every day to work and if you are unfamiliar, that is bad clams. The design is terrible and, to top it off, it's under construction. You need to know the exact lane to be in or you're in trouble.

You've got two options:

1. Take IH-10 to IH-610, go around the NORTH side (take the 610 NORTH exit off IH-10), and go around. It'll dump you back out on IH-10 East, and you're home-free. (Assuming GDawg means "Georgia Dawg"). Think of the Georgia running back blasting past the Tennessee defenders to sprint to the goal line. It's under construction but it's usually not hideous.

2. You can take the SAM HOUSTON TOLLWAY (that's what the signs say), a.k.a. Beltway 8, SOUTH from IH-10 all the way around to IH-10 East. It's a long way, and it's tolls all the way, but it is by far the least stressful on your nerves and your marriage....stay in the left lanes and let your TX Tag do your talking...

Assume you have an internet phone.

Use this link:

Houston TranStar Real-Time Traffic Map

Houston TranStar gives you live traffic; the EZ Tags are tracked electronically and this map shows you EXACTLY what the traffic is doing at any given moment. If that link doesn't work or is removed, go to w w w dot houstontranstar dot org and select "traffic maps".

That way, you can see how it looks wherever you're going.

I echo the comments from above: you need to leave earlier or later than your target departure date. Hitting west Houston at 7:00 am is HUGELY different than at 7:30 or 8:00. Traffic will stack on IH-10 at Dairy Ashford and again at 610. You DEFINITELY want to take the HOV lane, which will be a-ok for you. Don't be scared, just do it.

Avoid 290 like you'd avoid a Florida fan. You don't need ANY of that. You'll add a solid hour to your trip going that way. Take 71 to IH-10.

Enjoy your trip; if I can help, let me know. SEC has to stick together, baby. We're going to kick your a** in Athens! (Arkansas Razorback here But if you were here, I'd buy you a beer!

Old 08-18-2010, 08:46 PM

16 posts, read 125,159 times
Default Beltway 8 South is a LOOOOng way

I agree. Beltway 8 South is a long way...out of the way. I used to take that too and it takes forever and there are so many tolls! I would not recommend taking it.

If you leave early and hit I-10 in Houston at or before 7 a.m. you are home free and should just stay on I-10. Trust me I live on the I-10 corridor inside of Beltway 8 and 610 near Wirt Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston