Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 05:33 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,904,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gboyce View Post
I made the move from the bay area to Houston three years ago. Texas is a whole different world from Northern California, and yes very religious and conservative. Too religious and conservative for my tastes. Some of the drawbacks of Houston for me were, brutally hot summers, mosquitos, $400 electric bills over the summer, tex-mex food (horrible), everything being closed on sundays, and people who are very intolerant of other races, they don't seem to think so but compared to the bay area it was quite noticeable to me. Also property taxes are pretty high out there so what you save in the cost of house you lose on property taxes and utilities.

I did like some things about Houston also, such as cheap houses, good schools for the kids, bbq, cajun food, and no state income tax. But being a native Californian, I found it to be to drastic of a change, I missed the diversity of California. Texas has no mountains, an ugly coast, and the cities are nothing like San Francisco, I only lasted 1 year and moved back.
Yeah, enjoy that 10% California state income tax while you're at it (-0- in Texas). The Cali state income tax = a wash with the TX property taxes.

I'm sorry you found us lacking in diversity. In my office, I'm a white male; there is one white female (both of us over 50); 6 African American females, 3 hispanic females. We all get along great and care quite a bit about each other.

Mosquitoes = teh suck.

You've simply got to be kidding about the Tex-Mex. But hey, whatever floats your boat. Me, I don't like tofu, but there you have it.

Brutally hot = no argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 05:41 PM

15 posts, read 39,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gboyce View Post
But being a native Californian, I found it to be to drastic of a change, I missed the diversity of California. Texas has no mountains, an ugly coast, and the cities are nothing like San Francisco, I only lasted 1 year and moved back.
So much of everything is perspective. We moved originally from Chicago to San Diego, and that was amazing. I truly fell in love with San Diego and Southern California. I didn't want to leave, but we took a chance on an opportunity in San Francisco. I have had a like/hate thing with SF since day one. I can see how people that grew up here wouldn't change it for the world, but that's perspective, you know?

Ultimately, my first choice would be to move back down to San Diego/La Jolla. Given the things we've been discussing in this thread (quality of life, real estate, weather), I see Houston as a lateral or step-up move from San Francisco. If we were in another part of the Bay Area I might feel differently; we've considered Marin, which is nice. But San Francisco (The City) itself is just not my cup of tea.

The mountains are nice, the trails are nice, but the beaches here are cold and ugly compared to Coronado and the mexican food (to me) is no bueno.

In other words, while our opinions differ, I dig where you're coming from. It's all perspective.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:45 PM

22 posts, read 67,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
Yeah, enjoy that 10% California state income tax while you're at it (-0- in Texas). The Cali state income tax = a wash with the TX property taxes.

I'm sorry you found us lacking in diversity. In my office, I'm a white male; there is one white female (both of us over 50); 6 African American females, 3 hispanic females. We all get along great and care quite a bit about each other.

Mosquitoes = teh suck.

You've simply got to be kidding about the Tex-Mex. But hey, whatever floats your boat. Me, I don't like tofu, but there you have it.

Brutally hot = no argument.
The diversity I was talking about is in the landscape not people. You don't have much variation in scenery, that's what I was getting at.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
I love baja mexican food, and definitely dig tex-mex. So much of the mexican food up here in San Francisco is this weird, watered-down stuff where your $8 burrito is packed with rice and very little zip. So weird.

There is some good mexican in the city, but you have to look in specific neighborhoods or know different spots. Very hit-and-miss.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:49 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,404,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getupandgogotupandwent View Post
Welcome to the Bay Area! Redwood City is quite nice. Isn't the commute up to the city rough?

You don't have to go all that far out of San Francisco to get nice weather. As a matter of fact, the SOMA neighborhood tends to be warmer and sunnier than most other parts. But you're still packed next to people, and with SOMA you get the added value of homeless folks sleeping on your front stoop.

But the ocean, the narrowness of the city, the bay, and then the heat inland seem to conspire to pull all the cold wet ocean air over the city like a blanket. It's a marine layer thing, and it's just how the topography works here.
Thanks! I love living in the Bay Area! The weather and nature is outstanding!

The commute is not bad if I take 280. If I take 101 I am on my motorcycle and I never have to sit in traffic. I actually ride my motorcycle to work as often as possible. Being from Houston the commute to SF from Redwood City is a cake walk. I prefer a commute then to live in SF. (no offense anyone!) Redwood City is very nice. It only takes me 25 minutes to get to work. The traffic is a breeze there compared to here. I suggest you live close to your job in Houston as the commute can be extremely long due to heavy traffic.

Good luck on your decision and move!

Old 08-21-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:

The mountains are nice, the trails are nice, but the beaches here are cold and ugly compared to Coronado and the mexican food (to me) is no bueno.

In other words, while our opinions differ, I dig where you're coming from. It's all perspective.
If you like Mexican food you'll hate Tex-mex. Nacho cheese, hamburger meat, and lettuce have no business on a taco.
As far a beaches go, forget about them, the beaches really suck in Southeast Texas, and it's all flat, no trails either. If you like oil refineries, then you'll love the Houston scenery.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:00 PM

so gboyce, what you're saying is that you really liked Houston?

PS: I've had tex-mex many times in many places—including Houston, no less—and have liked it.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:01 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,404,438 times
[quote=Malvie;15569846]Yeah, enjoy that 10% California state income tax while you're at it (-0- in Texas). The Cali state income tax = a wash with the TX property taxes.

The California state income tax is not a straight 10% it is a tiered system. California Income Tax Rates - California & other state tax rates information. CA tax calculator.

The pay for many professional jobs is a lot higher as well...which will offset the higher COL and state income tax. I make 25K more in SF doing the same job as I did in Houston. I have more $$$ and live better then I did in Houston.

That 10% rumor scare was almost the deal breaker for me but after further investigation I found it to be just a totally false and blown out of porportion. I am glad that I took the plunge!

Last edited by TVC15; 08-21-2010 at 06:12 PM..

Old 08-21-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
so gboyce, what you're saying is that you really liked Houston?

PS: I've had tex-mex many times in many places—including Houston, no less—and have liked it.
Not my favorite place but they do have some excellent public schools out there and very affordable real estate. I can't totally knock it, but to me, San Francisco is a very special place and it was a huge culture shock for me. I may have to move next year and Houston is a possible place I may go considerring a already have a home there. I'll just be a little more prepared this time on what I can expect. Funny thing about when I was out there my neighborhood had 4 families from California and we all had the same complaints, 2 of us moved back within a year and the other 2 were holding out because the Houston economy was still pretty strong, although they said they really wished the could move back.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:08 PM

TVC15,
great profile pic! Be careful on the bike on 101 (and pretty much everywhere else).

Jobs-wise, I am a tech guy, so there's no shortage of jobs in the Bay Area—some really great ones, too. But my wife's career dictates our location, so unless I work remotely for SF companies I'll be taking a pay hit. It is what it is. Pay was lower in San Diego, too—they called it the "sunshine tax".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston