Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:02 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
Money worries force Metro to slow rail plans | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

I just don't know what to say. It's one obstacle after another. How embarassing would it be to have one freaking 6 mile toy line and nothing else. We voted for rail and they need to make it happen. I'm tired of the excuses. And if the the FTA under a Democratic Administration will not secure funding for Metro, that means Metro must really be a screwed up organization.
Oh, but Mr. Barack Obama said during his campaign he's going to help beef up infrastructure in cities nation wide. He stressed that over & over again.

Another empty promise by the "anointed one".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 11:17 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Oh, but Mr. Barack Obama said during his campaign he's going to help beef up infrastructure in cities nation wide. He stressed that over & over again.

Actually hes delivered fully on his promised , pumping billions into my state. About 14 Billion$$$ in Transit and Infastrature Upgrades and Expansions. Ive noticed not every agency has gotten its fair share of $$$ , only the ones that are organized like NJT/NJDOT , WMATA , CDOT. But agencies like Septa and the NYC MTA didn't get as much or spend it wisely.....

Old 08-22-2010, 11:52 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Might help if Perry didn't give him the finger while simultaneously turning down all federal money every chance he gets. But I know, I know, we are Texans. We don't need federal money. Now please, PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE don't cut NASA funding

Old 08-22-2010, 12:26 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Might help if Perry didn't give him the finger while simultaneously turning down all federal money every chance he gets. But I know, I know, we are Texans. We don't need federal money. Now please, PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE don't cut NASA funding
Exactly right. Well put. To try and blame this on Obama is pathetic. I can't wait until Perry is out of office.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:35 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
Yeah everybody's mad because Obama is only human and doesn't have the magic wand to instantly turn everything around inside of only 1 1/2 years of being in office.

People fail to realize that he took on a daunting task by becoming President (IE America's 1st BLACK president) in the middle of one of the country's largest depressions and having to deal with the largest oil spill in history on top of that. I guess its easier to just sit back and criticize.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:54 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Actually hes delivered fully on his promised , pumping billions into my state. About 14 Billion$$$ in Transit and Infastrature Upgrades and Expansions. Ive noticed not every agency has gotten its fair share of $$$ , only the ones that are organized like NJT/NJDOT , WMATA , CDOT. But agencies like Septa and the NYC MTA didn't get as much or spend it wisely.....
Hmmm...high population density of traditionally democratic voters getting project $$$. What a coincidence.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:57 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
As pertaining to this thread, yeah they are going through some budget problems. But they are not dismantling any of the plans. I follow by newsletter, they will do it slowly but they will continue to expand the lines and add new ones.
It will now be delayed from 2012 to 2013 (October) for the opening date, but thats fine, I can live with that as long as they keep moving forth with this. And they are, they simply can't afford not to anymore especially given the amount they've spent already on all 6 lines. METRO has already realized what not expanding the lines will do to the city infrastructure and its something they're willing to bet on all odds to do, and get done.
So I'm not really worried, yeah I am bummer that most lines wont open in 2012 like they were supposed to, but I just want it in general, whether 2012 or 2013, its coming and I am mostly satisfied.

Also as a side note, the BP Oil Spill wasn't the largest or most catastrophic Oil Spill in history, only in American History it was.
This was the most catastrophic Oil Spill in History, it has been leaking for 50 years now and has entirely destroyed the eco system where it has been dormant for 50 years, total chaos: Niger Delta bears brunt after 50 years of oil spills - Africa, World - The Independent

Old 08-22-2010, 04:05 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
^^^ And on top of that, METRO is shooting themselves in the foot by not building it because the costs to build the damn thing quadruple the longer they put it off.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:59 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Hmmm...high population density of traditionally democratic voters getting project $$$. What a coincidence.
Kinda , most of the areas in my state that are getting the Rail Expansions are Republic Areas , same with CT. Republicans in the Northeast are moderates. Your right about the High Densities , dense suburbs and cities.....

Old 08-22-2010, 07:10 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,159 times
Yeah, so Metro sucks. What else is new?

I agree that Metro needs to be dismantled...they are really run by a bunch of idiots.

They want to save money? How about using smaller, less expensive buses? I have been on many Metro buses and there are so many huge buses that go virtually empty at most parts of the day...not even anywhere near halfway full. Wasteful and stupid. Public transportation should NOT cost $1.25 each way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston