Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 09:59 PM

5 posts, read 7,044 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a good website that provides reliable statistical crime data on Houston?

We are considering moving closer to town to shorten my commute to work but am bit skeptical. Not sure if it's that safe even though many people claim that the coveted areas such as Montrose, Memorial Park, Garden Oaks, Timbergrove, Heights, etc are fairly safe areas. Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 07:57 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,287,717 times
Check with HPD website...but really this is a non issue. The areas mentioned are just as safe, if not more so, than many burbs.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:10 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Houston.Everyblock.com is a neat little website I just found. It tells you what happened overnight in your neighborhood. Roberries, tickets, wrecks fires, etc. It also has eatery reviews, new homes listed, news articles for that area. It's really kinda neat.

HPD is good, but about two months behind. I know for a fact not all crimes get on their site.

PS- Ignore all the car theft reports in the city. If you leave your car in the street, or near the street in the driveway, you run the risk of it getting broken into.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:38 AM

5 posts, read 7,044 times
Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 08-21-2010, 07:49 PM

225 posts, read 597,366 times
As a parent, before I move I always check the Texas DPS site to see whether I'm moving in next door to a registered sex offender.

You can search by zip code and see where they live. Most profiles include the original charge and risk level (low, moderate, or high). Not sure whether that means anything, and of course things can change, but I'd rather be informed.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:33 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
I know for one that the montrose area is ranked as a high crime area ( almost as many reports as 3rd ward) most of the reports are petty crimes though, so be wary of quantity look for quality

Old 08-22-2010, 11:23 PM

162 posts, read 554,124 times
so many people and so many threads about crime.
doesnt matter where you live, crime might happen to you. You can live in a gated community in a suburb 30 miles from downtown.

also, living next to, or even near a sex offender does not increase your chances of being raped.

....white people.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:35 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Family Watchdog

I look at this but remember that EVERY zip will have some. Don't get so paranoid that you finally determine nowhere is safe. What I interpret the numbers to mean is that some zips will have more than their fair share of apartments. No matter how hard some of those apartment managers try - some of the other managers willl screw up everything by relaxing standards. If they are accepting felon sex offenders, they are also accepting felon assault, felon robbery, etc. Expect crime at that point. The key is where are they and how close and what are the rest of the demographics?

BTW, all of the neighborhoods you mentioned are fine.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:26 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,172,989 times
There's no such thing. I forget who said it (Samuel Clements?), but, there are three kinds of lies:

1. Lies
2. Damnable Lies
and
3. Statistics.

Ronnie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: