U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 15,341 times
Default Small Towns near Houston

I have lived in Houston my entire life, and really don't like big city life. I would love to move to a small town near Houston to get away from the city. However I am 29 and single. I want to move somewhere where I won't be considered an "old maid" for being 29 and not even being in a relationship. Seems like a lot of small towns everyone is married by the time they are 30. But I hate living in the city and want to get away. Anyway, know of any good small towns to move to that might have singles my age as well? Right now I am thinking of somewhere along the texas gulf coast, but don't know of what small towns would be good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 07:06 PM

796 posts, read 2,443,005 times
it seems you may like the suburbs..kind of in-between..not city but not small town. There's alot to choose from all around Houston depending on which side of town you want to live on..

Old 08-21-2010, 07:11 PM

346 posts, read 387,717 times
kemah? clear lake? if thats to big still galveston? woodlands? You need a small town that has everything that you will need so you don't find yourself still having to go to the city for everything. Just something to think about.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:55 PM

3,537 posts, read 7,036,186 times
College Station

Old 08-22-2010, 05:11 AM

796 posts, read 2,443,005 times
I would agree with Kemah and Clear Lake, not College Station if I was 29 and single. On the north side, I would say Montgomery, The Woodlands and Klein. Alot of stuff to do and places to meet people..

Old 08-22-2010, 07:05 AM

3,334 posts, read 4,425,048 times
Bellville or Rosenberg.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:25 AM

443 posts, read 752,917 times
Sealy

Old 08-22-2010, 11:26 AM

15,273 posts, read 14,667,529 times
With BAE losing that contract, I would guess there are a few deals on homes in Sealy.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:54 PM

443 posts, read 752,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
With BAE losing that contract, I would guess there are a few deals on homes in Sealy.
They are actually keeping several hundred or maybe a thousand workers at the plant working on other things. There have been some initial layoffs but it's not a total wipeout.

The Houston media misreports how much the BAE plant affects Sealy. The majority of workers actually commute in from Katy/Houston and other parts of the area. There's no doubt that it affects lunch crowds and other consumer driven services in the city but I lived in Sealy for 26 years (my parents have been there for 45 years), know many people in town and don't know one person who works for BAE. There are actually two new restaurants that have opened in town this year (a BIG deal in a small town) and they are widening hwy 36 between sealy and belville in anticipation of further growth.

It's a pleasant small town with great people, affordable housing and easy access to the west side of Houston. It takes me 40 minutes from Sealy to the Galleria most days. The small town country life isn't for everyone but if you are looking for small towns in the Houston area Sealy should definitely be on your list.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:31 PM

214 posts, read 303,726 times
Friendswood.

To meet other singles, you may try church (if that's your thing) or maybe some type of hobby club. I do agree that small town/suburban life can be tough for singles. Lots of folks around just assume you're looking to get married ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston