Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:34 AM

448 posts, read 699,074 times

Advertisements

Not sure, but I think the point that he was getting to is the fact that most red light violation accidents are caused by things that are very difficult if not impossible to prevent by putting up a camera. They are caused by road conditions, DUI, texting and driving, inattention, police chases etc. A red light violation accident caused by someone deliberately running the light is fairly rare, if the worst red light runners look to see if the coast is clear before they blow it. If the idea is that the cameras are supposed to reduce red light violation accidents and most accidents are caused by things a camera can't prevent then why are they there and can the really be effective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
While I can see the many sides of this debate, and appreciate the varied reasonings many have presented, this is one I don't buy AT ALL. Who cares what the excuse is? Someone ran a red light. Pay the price, and hope you didn't kill anyone.

You still broke the law. You made a right on red without coming to a stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 11:57 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,191,620 times
Quote:
While I can see the many sides of this debate, and appreciate the varied reasonings many have presented, this is one I don't buy AT ALL. Who cares what the excuse is? Someone ran a red light. Pay the price, and hope you didn't kill anyone.

Let's say a young father to be is pulled over and cited for speeding on his way to the hospital as his wife was in pain from labor. Should he get a ticket? He just has an excuse that his wife was giving birth. He was speeding afterall.

You don't have to answer, you get my point. Without compassion, our court systems will be like Hugo Chavez's court. You can't assume everyone is guilty for no reason.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:14 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,433,087 times
Quote:

How many times do cops give out tickets for making a right turn at a light?
I have never heard of it.
Why should I receive a ticket via a red-light camera for something that a cop would never give out a ticket for?

Old 08-26-2010, 02:50 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,555,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
How many times do cops give out tickets for making a right turn at a light?
I have never heard of it.
Why should I receive a ticket via a red-light camera for something that a cop would never give out a ticket for?
Agreed ! and also "NO LAW" was broken. What he did possibly do was violate a DMV code. There is a difference. Thats how the cops can change it to a non moving violation. ( they make the rules and codes ).

Old 08-26-2010, 04:11 PM

It is interesting, when they issue you a camera ticket they can't actually accuse you of violating the state law on running a red light, because that would be a criminal offense, they instead accuse you of violating a city ordinance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Agreed ! and also "NO LAW" was broken. What he did possibly do was violate a DMV code. There is a difference. Thats how the cops can change it to a non moving violation. ( they make the rules and codes ).

Old 08-26-2010, 04:20 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,555,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baytownb View Post
It is interesting, when they issue you a camera ticket they can't actually accuse you of violating the state law on running a red light, because that would be a criminal offense, they instead accuse you of violating a city ordinance.
Exactly the point, how are you going to be able to question the accuser (the camera) at a criminal hearing ? you can't, therefore your rights will be violated under U.S. Title 42, 1983. now if I could only get that across to people on this site. "knowledge" the most valuable thing we have and need today.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:39 PM

635 posts, read 1,699,897 times
Closed this thread please. The economy is in the tank, unemployment at an all time high and people complaining over getting a ticket because they broke the law.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:49 PM

You know if you don't like it you don't have to participate. There are a lot of threads out there. if you aren't interested in this subject go find another one you are interested in. Plenty of people, like me, that don't break the law "complain" about the cameras and their abuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emirate25 View Post
Closed this thread please. The economy is in the tank, unemployment at an all time high and people complaining over getting a ticket because they broke the law.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:01 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,219,446 times
I hate the red light cameras, and I am a pretty cautious and relatively slow driver (most of the time). The thing that gets me is that red lights are not a black and white situation, but with the cameras they are treated as such.

What if the person in front of you decides to slow down in the intersection while the light is yellow? You are blocked, and the camera flashes...

What if you are turning left at a red light with no arrow? Do you pull out in the intersection (risking a red light violation, but keeping traffic flowing), or do you wait at the light until the coast is totally clear before you turn, risking the ire of the mile long line of traffic behind you.

Point is, there are a load of grey areas that the red lights can't account for. People in the city have been driving aggressively for a LONG time now, and consequently there are situations where the red light cameras may even exacerbate the problem. Personally I wish they could do something about cell phones, texting, and tailgaters. That happens much much more than red light violations.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:20 PM

404 posts, read 1,026,610 times
Ban talking on the phone while driving. Simple as that...other states and cities have already done it. There's no reason Houston or even Texas shouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston