Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 07:00 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,347,919 times

Advertisements

TheStupid: The officer pulled me over for cutting through a parking lot.

I didnt know this was against the law either. I'm so sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 07:26 AM

404 posts, read 1,241,659 times
The $180 fine and having the infraction become a permanent part of your driving record and affecting your insurance premiums seems way too steep for the terrible offense you committed, too. I think about $25.00 would be a more reasonable deterrent, but then we live in a world where common sense no longer dictates.

There is a place where I have to make a left-hand turn from an HEB but the cars are backed up in the direction I need to go with drivers usually unwilling to make room for another vehicle. It's practically impossible to turn left so I end up having to make a right turn, go past the lines on the other side of the street, turn left into a strip center and turn back around and exit out of that to get at the end of the line of traffic...wonder if that's against the law too.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:01 AM

192 posts, read 435,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Dangerous?? Is it really that dangerous???

I'm not really understanding the dangerous part and I agree about obeying the law, but I don't really see how it's considered dangerous.
It is dangerous. I work in an office whose parking lot is constantly used during rush hour as a shortcut by jerks who don't want to wait their turn to make a left turn. We have had many instances of employees (myself included) either in their own vehicles or on foot, nearly getting struck by people speeding through our parking lot, to the point that we have had to install speed bumps in the lot. This has helped but not eliminated the problem. It's just a matter of time before someone gets injured.

So to the OP, pay the fine and learn your lesson.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:13 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,142,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbbphh View Post
It is dangerous. I work in an office whose parking lot is constantly used during rush hour as a shortcut by jerks who don't want to wait their turn to make a left turn. We have had many instances of employees (myself included) either in their own vehicles or on foot, nearly getting struck by people speeding through our parking lot, to the point that we have had to install speed bumps in the lot. This has helped but not eliminated the problem. It's just a matter of time before someone gets injured.

So to the OP, pay the fine and learn your lesson.

Yes indeed.

Parking lots pose enough problems w/o jerks using them as shortcuts.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:16 AM

225 posts, read 517,897 times
I received one of these tickets before. I asked for a judge trial and they dismissed it at court before trial. I was still in the parking lot when the cop gave me a ticket and atleast 100 ft away from the exit of the parking lot.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:54 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,113,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Yes indeed.

Parking lots pose enough problems w/o jerks using them as shortcuts.
The parking lots people tend to cut through are usually gas stations or some small parking area. I doubt it's going to experience extreme traffic to the point people are putting others in danger by cutting through it.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The parking lots people tend to cut through are usually gas stations or some small parking area. I doubt it's going to experience extreme traffic to the point people are putting others in danger by cutting through it.
Our office parking lot is relatively small, not much different from the area of a small gas station. That doesn't stop people from using it as a shortcut and creating a dangerous situation.

Why not just acknowledge that this is illegal because it is dangerous?

Old 08-26-2010, 10:48 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,271,139 times
That is the stupidest ticket I've ever heard of. It is the STATE'S job to fix traffic lights to STOP TRAFFIC JAMS. It is the STATE who hires police officers. If you ask me, you are doing the STATE a favor when you cut through a parking lot by reducing traffic at the traffic jam THEY CAUSED.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
That is the stupidest ticket I've ever heard of. It is the STATE'S job to fix traffic lights to STOP TRAFFIC JAMS. It is the STATE who hires police officers. If you ask me, you are doing the STATE a favor when you cut through a parking lot by reducing traffic at the traffic jam THEY CAUSED.
Really? It's the state's fault that the typical work day ends at 5 pm and rush hour traffic results? Maybe the state should outlaw personal ownership of motor vehicles; that would take care of the problem.

As they say, driving is a privilege, not a right. Don't want to sit in traffic, or wait for your turn to make a left turn? Fine - then don't drive.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:08 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,142,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post

If I was on a debate team and the subject was rationalizing away bad/illegal behavior, you would be our captain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston