Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 06:23 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 786tech View Post
We can always take an average person off the street and make them into a good bean-counter or skilled craftsman, not the case with engineers!
Ubiquitous engineer arrogance at its finest.

The average person off the street is too soft to be a good skilled craftsman.

And plenty of good "bean-counters" with the gift of gab are engineering and/or project managers.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:22 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Wow, wages and salaries really have been stagnating over the past 20 years. I kept hearing that and did not believe it. No wonder families need 2 people working.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:29 AM

224 posts, read 527,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post

And plenty of good "bean-counters" with the gift of gab are engineering and/or project managers.
There's too many people out there that think holding a wrench and feeler gauges makes them a journeyman....that couldn't be further from the truth. This appears to be the general public's perception, but for myself as an engineer - I can tell you finding skilled trades (millwright/electrician etc) is becoming a serious issue, as trades are the people who engineer's rely on most for information and troubleshooting help (at least in my industry). Good tradesmen make big bucks and are worth their weight in gold.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:07 AM

295 posts, read 1,168,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 786tech View Post
We can always take an average person off the street and make them into a good bean-counter or skilled craftsman, not the case with engineers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post

I LOLed at these.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:22 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkitgto View Post
There's too many people out there that think holding a wrench and feeler gauges makes them a journeyman....that couldn't be further from the truth. This appears to be the general public's perception, but for myself as an engineer - I can tell you finding skilled trades (millwright/electrician etc) is becoming a serious issue, as trades are the people who engineer's rely on most for information and troubleshooting help (at least in my industry). Good tradesmen make big bucks and are worth their weight in gold.

Agreed 100%.

The engineers who speak like 786 are likely recent college grads or 100% desk jockeys with little or no experience overseeing what they design actually come out of the ground, which means no experience interfacing with the people who make it happen. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But to "demand better wages" one needs experience from both sides, which means stepping out of your comfort zone for awhile. There honestly are not a whole lot of office-type engineers who can (will) do that, and many who try it out scurry back as fast as they can to their cush cubicle chair.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:34 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Aren't there CE's that don't have a degree and make over 6 figure?

Old 01-06-2011, 03:00 PM

295 posts, read 1,168,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
there used to be a lot during the oil and gas boom about 3 to 4 yrs ago. a lot of piping and civil designers/draftsman making more than $100k+/yr.

i'm sure there are still many right now but most of them hold lead or area lead positions.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:19 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post

Rather difficult to be a CE, assuming you mean Civil Engineer, without a degree or PE license. Typically they make a bit less than Chemical or Electrical Es.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 8,739 times
Ok Ok, I was a bit unreasonable about the "anybody of the street" comment. My apologies to the accountants and craftsmen.

Going back to the original post, my lead engineer is a PhD. No idea how much he makes, but he is the only one in our department (EPC firm). I guess most of them work for the operating companies doing research (higher salaries I would imagine).

Old 10-25-2014, 07:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,335 times
Does anyone know if exxon Mobil pays signing bonus to new experienced hire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: