U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 09:49 PM

433 posts, read 609,695 times

Advertisements

One of the few decent entertainment options in town goes down the drain. How could a city this large not be able to support this industry? Do people in this city even care to view independent and foreign films at all?

Angelika Film Center closes doors for good | khou.com | Khou.com - News, Houston news, Texas News, Headlines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 09:55 PM

571 posts, read 1,128,683 times
River Oaks theater is still open. But I generally agree with you. I have seen some pretty good films at the Angelika and at River Oaks. It's a pretty niche industry you must admit and it's a shame.

I wish Angelika wouldn't close its doors "for good" but would just move to say Montrose or The Heights. I feel like in those parts of town, they'd get more business. The types to frequent that part of downtown are more interested in the "it" scene and the bars....not foreign/independent films despite the fact that it's located in the theater district.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:15 PM

433 posts, read 609,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
River Oaks theater is still open. But I generally agree with you. I have seen some pretty good films at the Angelika and at River Oaks. It's a pretty niche industry you must admit and it's a shame.

I wish Angelika wouldn't close its doors "for good" but would just move to say Montrose or The Heights. I feel like in those parts of town, they'd get more business. The types to frequent that part of downtown are more interested in the "it" scene and the bars....not foreign/independent films despite the fact that it's located in the theater district.
River Oaks theater is ok, but they only show a few flicks at a time. I truly enjoyed the options you had even within the niche industry @ Angelika. A shame, indeed.

Montrose or the Heights would be ideal. If there was a market for it, they would've found another location to house a theater, though. The crowds were similar in the area. It just might mean that the city doesn't support the theater district much.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:58 PM

14,373 posts, read 26,118,963 times
"There's nothing to do here, so let's sit at home and do nothing on the Internet....oh wait, turns out we did have a few things to do and one of them isn't around anymore."

There's a spot at the intersection of Shepherd and West Alabama that would be perfect for this...

Old 08-30-2010, 12:42 AM

571 posts, read 1,128,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
"There's nothing to do here, so let's sit at home and do nothing on the Internet....oh wait, turns out we did have a few things to do and one of them isn't around anymore."

There's a spot at the intersection of Shepherd and West Alabama that would be perfect for this...
AAAHHH! You beat me to it! Seriously though...if somebody, somewhere doesn't see this as an ample opportunity then I have just lost that much more faith in humanity.

That said, I would agree that the foreign film/indie film industry in Houston has never really taken off...but for those of us who DO enjoy these things, W. Alabama and Shepherd needs to happen...stat...

Old 08-30-2010, 04:57 AM

5,414 posts, read 12,597,904 times
Default Hmm...

Quote:

jfre81, do you mean Shepherd and West Gray? If not, I guess I'm missing out on something?

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 08-30-2010 at 05:06 AM..

Old 08-30-2010, 07:52 AM

14,373 posts, read 26,118,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
jfre81, do you mean Shepherd and West Gray? If not, I guess I'm missing out on something?

There's a hint here.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:56 AM

18,509 posts, read 28,047,509 times
I nearly cried when I heard the Angelika was closing. so sad. I had a lot of first dates there

Old 08-30-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:

There's a hint here.
The Alabama Theater sign? No theater though, hasn't been in decades, it is a book store.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:11 AM

Default Hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I nearly cried when I heard the Angelika was closing. so sad. I had a lot of first dates there
Uhmm... you are a woman, yes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or