U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,847 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Houston and I heard of the flooding that occurs from time to time and would like to live in a more elevated part of town. I looked for topographical maps but found none I could access right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 01:48 PM

3,334 posts, read 4,742,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa Whitsel View Post
I am moving to Houston and I heard of the flooding that occurs from time to time and would like to live in a more elevated part of town. I looked for topographical maps but found none I could access right away.
Between 40 and 50 feet, depending which part you're standing in.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:54 PM

2,232 posts, read 4,748,288 times
You will encounter street flooding no matter where you live. Maybe not on your street but at some point you will be driving home or somewhere and a gully washer will hit flooding the streets.
The Heights is probably the highest place in Houston hence the name. If your looking to buy just dont buy in flood plane and buy flood insurance wherever you end up.
Museum district is a great area and you most likely will not have issues there.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:03 PM

7,732 posts, read 18,300,106 times
Elevation above sea level doesn't mean a whole lot as far as flooding goes around here.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:29 PM

11,398 posts, read 17,530,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Elevation above sea level doesn't mean a whole lot as far as flooding goes around here.
For that matter, there are parts of Central Texas 200-300 feet above us that can flood worse than much of Houston.

Generally speaking, areas around the bayous lie lower than parts further away. The Museum District is something around 50 feet above sea level, on averagel; go south toward Brays Bayou and that drops some 15-20 feet. Elevation does vary here more than it would appear just driving around town, but it's a very gradual thing. You probably go "downhill" a good 10-15 feet on Main Street between Binz and the Brays without realizing it.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:19 PM

519 posts, read 503,989 times
Yes, flooding occurs in the Museum District! Some years back, Houston had another one of its "Hundred Year Floods" and the Contemporary Arts Museum lost everything in its basement offices, including catalogs of their landmark exhibitions from the 1950's-60's. I was planning to donate the few catalogs I had from that time to help make up their loss, but T.S. Allison came along and wiped out my files, too.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:15 PM

3,684 posts, read 3,192,323 times
In normal rain events, Houston streets are designed to be catch basins in times of heavy rain. If you can stay put until 30 minutes after the rain stops and you should be OK. I am not referring to things like hurricanes and Allison.
Flooding can happen suddenly, anywhere at any time.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:31 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,619,390 times
Just joining the chorus, you really can't predict flooding in Houston based on elevation above sea level, or even on the topographical maps period. There is so much development and the water control has been so engineered and re-engineered that the maps are effectively meaningless.

Generally speaking (broad generalization), if you are directly on a bayou or directly on the coast, your chance of flooding during a "major event" is higher than if you are in other places---but all places in southeast Texas (Houston metro) are subject to flooding.

What you want to do is ask the people directly in the area you are considering about their experiences with flooding. Flooding here is very localized; one side of the street may flood frequently, while the other never does.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:41 PM

9,606 posts, read 9,602,586 times
The Ashby high rise should be above sea level. The only problem is that the rest of the neighborhood will treat you as though you are beneath them.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:48 PM

11,398 posts, read 17,530,994 times
Really, most any place near a body of water can flood. Look at what's happened recently in Iowa and North Dakota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston