Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 12:50 PM

4 posts, read 21,082 times

Advertisements

We just relocated to Houston from New England area. We (first-time homer buyer) are considering buying a two-story house built in 2000. It has an attached garage with master bedroom above it. Our concerns: 1) noise from garage door opening; 2) In Houston, is the garage ceiling normally insulated? If not, the room above the garage must be hotter in summer and colder in winter.

Also, how much does it cost to remove a dying tree and plant a new tree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 01:13 PM

240 posts, read 808,131 times
The garage door opener going up and down would drive me nuts because I am a light sleeper.

Also, does your husband work with power tools? The garage is my man's domain/cave when he needs his space. Being above his man cave would just be a little too close for comfort. Maybe your relationship is different.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:44 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,407 times
Garage door and fumes from the cars - - or other yard chemicals, etc. I would not want to sleep above a garage.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:47 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Don't store chemicals in the garage...

I read an article a long time ago on a study that showed that rooms above a garage that contains chemicals had traces of those in the room... I guess they seep in via outlets, walls, etc. Take that for what it's worth though.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:10 PM

155 posts, read 542,335 times
Our master bedroom is above our garage.. and although my wife and I haven't yet started growing a third arm from the chemicals seeping from the garage , our room is the hottest in the house. We have to deal with the heat emanating from the garage. It feels that our room is about 5+ degrees hotter than the other rooms. But it's only bothersome during the summer months.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:18 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade.cells View Post
We just relocated to Houston from New England area. We (first-time homer buyer) are considering buying a two-story house built in 2000. It has an attached garage with master bedroom above it. Our concerns: 1) noise from garage door opening; 2) In Houston, is the garage ceiling normally insulated? If not, the room above the garage must be hotter in summer and colder in winter.

Also, how much does it cost to remove a dying tree and plant a new tree?

I'd keep looking. There are LOTS of houses for sale in Houston. I don't like the idea of all the fumes, and as others have said, the garage door would drive me nuts. I like detached garages. Also, if a fire starts in the garage, there is at least a small chance of limiting it to the garage if it's detached. Attached, well, it's already IN the house, isn't it?

Tree removal depends: you can find some jackleg group to do it for you (and if they bail halfway through the job or if they drop the tree on your house, tough clams) for as little as $500, depending on the size of the tree.

I had a large, dying elm in my back yard, 10 feet from the house. I had it removed and the rest of the trees trimmed by a licensed, bonded tree service. $1,500.

Cost of new tree = $10 to however much money you have; depends on type of tree, what you want, how big you want it, whether you're going to plant it or they are.....etc.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:16 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
We have a custom built home with a bedroom over the garage. We use it for everything BUT a bedroom. The noise from the garage door going up and down is enough to wake the dead, and the house is very well insulated! I'd keep looking!

Old 09-05-2010, 05:18 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
We looked at a house for sale with the master over garage. I was iffy on it due to potential heat issues and sure enough when we went up there to look at it they had a portable AC unit and 2 stand fans in addition to the central AC in the room. Didn't seem worth it.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:42 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
It will be difficult to cool in the summer - and our summers are 6 months long.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:36 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
We have a custom built home with a bedroom over the garage. We use it for everything BUT a bedroom. The noise from the garage door going up and down is enough to wake the dead, and the house is very well insulated! I'd keep looking!
Ok, maybe one of you works night shift and sleeps during the day when the others are up and about. But if not, then exactly who is doing all this opening and closing of the garage door when you're asleep?

As for noise, if you have a cheapo door on a chain drive it'll sound like a freight train. If you have a quality insulated door on a screw drive it should make no more noise than the AC blowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston