Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2007, 03:40 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,335 times

Advertisements

The media has really done a number one some of you. If you don't live near the coast or your home is not vulnerable to floods you (or your relatives)don't need to evacuate.

You are safe on Katy, Spring, The Woodlands, Kingwood, Conroe and most of Houston.

This link is all you need
Office of Emergency Management (broken link)

Now relax a go out for a beer while you still have electricity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 03:53 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
That is not entirely true. If you live in those areas, you are safe from a storm surge associated with a hurricane and need to let persons in the surge zones (aka killing fields) get out. Persons in non-surge zones need to evaluate their shelter (a trailer is NOT adequate shelter) and take precautions to secure that shelter. A category 4 storm hitting directly in Galveston may cause sustained winds of 133 mph in downtown Houston w/ higher gusts. Between 110 -125 MPH in Spring with higher gusts. Sustained winds this high are dangerous. Persons in Spring will be ok for a cat 3 storm but their will still be damage.

The point is that if there is a storm in the Gulf, be prepared.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:56 PM

190 posts, read 574,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post

This is very true. The problem seems to be some edges of early panic creeping into some people (not necessarily on this forum). Panic, on any level, doesn't help anyone. :\

Old 08-17-2007, 03:59 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Exactly...be prepared. Your house will probably get some damage but not enough for an evacuation. You should be ok if your house is structurally sound. Board up your windows, pick up loose objects, ect…

Old 08-17-2007, 04:04 PM

Exactly, be prepared. Those scouts were onto something weren't they?

Old 08-17-2007, 04:19 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
I can remember Alicia, we lived in Kingwood and lost 5 trees, 2 were huge pines. It was pretty bad, even all the way up there. We lost our power for a week and got to stay at the Sheraton...which, for my sister and me was COOL! Now of course it would be a bit terrifying LOL! But we stayed in the house during the storm, and we were okay. We had lots of batteries, ice, water, and my mom's trusty weather radio.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:28 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
The only thing to really be worried about is tornadoes and high gusts. Alicia produced almost thirty tornadoes (that were around the F2 status).

Old 08-18-2007, 04:51 AM

Alicia was a baby cat 3. A serious cat 4 would be alot worse but survivable if you were prepared. Key word "Prepared".

Old 09-07-2010, 07:24 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I can remember Alicia, we lived in Kingwood and lost 5 trees, 2 were huge pines. It was pretty bad, even all the way up there. We lost our power for a week and got to stay at the Sheraton...which, for my sister and me was COOL! Now of course it would be a bit terrifying LOL! But we stayed in the house during the storm, and we were okay. We had lots of batteries, ice, water, and my mom's trusty weather radio.
We stayed for Ike and we lived in Atascocita. The storm itself was scary, but we did not get any damage to the house. BUT. We did not have power for 2 weeks!! We didn't have a generator for the 1st week or so, then we were able to get our hands on one. But we were still religated to the bedroom for the next week! Luckily we had a gas stove. Trust me when I say it's awful to live in those conditions, especially with a toddler!! And we couldn't leave because DH and I both had to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston