U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 05:26 PM

30 posts, read 73,228 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for information on the city with the best school districts that would be within reasonable daily commute to downtown (Smith St. to be exact). I've searched the forum and read through a few posts (they all seemed rather old) and Katy seems to be one mentioned often. Just wanted to get some current opinions. Thanks so much! Making a move to a new city without knowing the area is always so scary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 09:26 PM

214 posts, read 325,410 times
Hey Grand. I know what you mean, but you'll be fine!

I hear good things about Katy. Friendswood ISD is great too (about a 40-minute commute depending on time). Clear Creek is another good one.

I also hear good things about Klein and other districts to the north. But I'm not very familiar with that area.

Good luck!

Old 09-22-2010, 10:31 PM

404 posts, read 613,854 times
Check out the schools in Katy. Keep in mind that some are at (or over) capacity because of the amount of people that are moving here. I wouldn't say all of the schools in the district are good; rather than looking at a district as a whole, look at certain schools.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:20 AM

898 posts, read 1,946,004 times
FT Bend is overall very very good but has a few clunkers (check individual school statistics before settling on neighborhood; generally newer schools in newer SD's better but none bad). HISD more clunkers than good but Bellaire HS usually tops state, occassionally NATION in individual National Merit Scholars every year. Very well-equipped, very prestigious school. Also, some magnet schools such as DeBakey Health Science, School for Performing Arts, very good. FT Bend just 30 minutes on 59 HOV lane, Bellaire 15 minutes, HPVA and DHS probably less than 10 minutes from downtown depending on traffic.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:27 PM

55 posts, read 89,669 times
Default Fort Bend ISD has 51 semifinalist in National Merit Scholarship

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
FT Bend is overall very very good but has a few clunkers (check individual school statistics before settling on neighborhood; generally newer schools in newer SD's better but none bad). HISD more clunkers than good but Bellaire HS usually tops state, occassionally NATION in individual National Merit Scholars every year. Very well-equipped, very prestigious school. Also, some magnet schools such as DeBakey Health Science, School for Performing Arts, very good. FT Bend just 30 minutes on 59 HOV lane, Bellaire 15 minutes, HPVA and DHS probably less than 10 minutes from downtown depending on traffic.
talking about good school district, here is one :
Fifty-one FBISD 2011 National Merit Semifinalists Named

Old 09-23-2010, 11:52 PM

860 posts, read 1,586,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
generally newer schools in newer SD's better but none bad)
One should bear in mind, that it takes considerable amount of time for a school to build a stellar reputation. Top public, non-magnet, high schools in Houston -- Lamar, Bellaire, Memorial, Clements, Stratford, Clear Lake, Katy-Taylor -- have all been around for a while. The youngest "reputable" high school in the area would probably be Austin HS (Fort Bend) which started for the '95-96 school year. (Yes, I know "reputable" is very personal opinion).

I know there are many who would disagree with me on this, but one criterion I use in addition to rankings is alumni. I think it does a lot for school spirit when you say Marvin Zindler (Lamar), Michael Dell (Memorial) or Paul Begala (Dulles) went to a kid's school.

My alma mater, Clements, didn't really gain its reputation until about early/mid 90's. When the school first opened, the area wasn't anywhere near the Asian-American stronghold that it is today. Although, if I can recall, correctly the first CHS c/o '85 valedictorian was an Indian guy.

To the OP: Lamar HS is exactly 5 miles from Downtown Houston. Memorial & Stratford I would imagine would be fairly close as well. (At least in comparison to Katy)

Last edited by Alphalogica; 09-24-2010 at 12:13 AM..

Old 09-24-2010, 08:07 AM

9,606 posts, read 9,680,512 times
In Houston, it is much more about the schools and much less about the districts. Spring Branch has stellar schools south of I-10 and so-so to not so great schools north of the highway. Most schools east of Murphy Rd. are struggling in FBISD.

Alief, a hodge podge of less than stellar schools is home to arguably the best high school in the entire area.

Keep in mind also that "prestigious" is a relative term. I hate to say this, but outside of Texas, many would not consider any high school one could attend in our state as prestigious. We are still seen as a "football before reading" state. Sadly, this still holds true in many districts. Also, UT ranks rather low for a state our size.

My advice is forget the district. Research the individual schools instead. And, of course, be the best parent you can be.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:40 PM

10,259 posts, read 7,732,937 times
Pearland only has two high schools, but we do have 18 national merit finalists

Pearland ISD

It is interesting how many of the kids in Fort Bend ISD are Asian (going by last names). Overall there, Clements HS looks like a winner.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:47 PM

3,334 posts, read 4,802,571 times
Aldine (watch the fur fly).

Old 09-24-2010, 04:33 PM

9,606 posts, read 9,680,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Pearland only has two high schools, but we do have 18 national merit finalists

Pearland ISD

It is interesting how many of the kids in Fort Bend ISD are Asian (going by last names). Overall there, Clements HS looks like a winner.
There are also many Asian kids in Alief. So what's your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston