U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 09:54 PM

333 posts, read 962,986 times

Advertisements

No, do not declaw!!! Keep the nails cut and filed and give it scratch toys. Scold it if it scratches areas they shouldn't scratch. it will learn. God forbid the cat escapes on day and gets into a cat fight and can't defend itself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 06:53 AM

460 posts, read 1,434,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txgal33 View Post
....I highly recommend I would get it declawed to save your furniture and yourself....
It is cruel to declaw a cat. People who de-claw cats are the same type of people who abandon animals when it becomes inconvenient to care for them. Be a better person than that. Before you do, at least Google the term and learn more about the process. Watch a video. They don't just "pull a fingernail".

When we bought our two Tonkinese, the breeder had us sign a letter that we would NEVER declaw either cat. Why would she do that? The breeder had no investment in the cats once we completed the transaction. She only did this for the cat's future well-being.

My wife has had cat(s) for over three decades. Strays that adopted us and registered breeds that we purchased. All inside cats. None were declawed, and we've never had any problems with any of them scratching furniture.

The key is to provide scratching posts. We have have five around the house: one eight foot "tree" with multiple platforms, a seven foot tall L shaped "stairway" with hammocks and enclosed compartments, two three foot platforms, and one platform I made myself with sisal rope and sisal carpet.

Our two tonks will start at the top of the tree (at one end of the house), race through the house to the top of the stairway and scratch the posts vigorously, then turn around and do it again. After a couple of those runs, they're ready for a nap.

We have three cats today (two tonks and a stray we took in), and all three use the same very large litter box. I buy the very big Tidy Cats bags of litter at Sams (for multiple cats). Use one bag a month, half at a time each 2 weeks. Between changes I scoop out the solids each time I take a bag of trash out. I then sprinkle baking soda in the box (get the 12 lb bags of baking soda at Sams). It has never, ever smelled.

BTW, save the bags the litter comes in and use them to dispose of the dirty litter.

We always use distilled water (from the tap on the fridge), and dry food (continuous feeding). The vet is trying to get us to use wet food, but that involves timed feedings and I'm not about to start that unless it becomes medically necessary. I'd take a bullet for my tonks, but they can feed themselves. One of the tonks has a thyroid problem, so I have to give him 1ml of levothyroxin each night. It's chicken flavored, so he actually looks forward to the treat.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:57 AM

457 posts, read 701,170 times
I have two cats and can recommend the breeze litter system (Walmart, Target) - it uses pellets and the urine drips through to a mat on the bottom that you throw out and then you only need to scoop poop. It works out a little more expensive than regular litter (I was using tidy cats) but saves a lot of scooping and there is no odor from the urine.

P.S. I am another thumbs up for no declawing - I had never even heard of this in the UK - not sure if it's even legal there.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:44 AM

1,042 posts, read 1,971,200 times
Up to you to choose but let me tell ya that our cats were very young and NEVER had a reaction to it what so ever!!! Their personalities were exactly the same as when we first brought them home! It was done by a highly trained VET that the SPCA reccomended! Radicals for either side are truly out there but we just did what was best for us and our future children. We rescued our furry babies from the SPCA when they were both just 4 months old!! Our oldest is 9 and our youngest is 8. So as for the comment that people who declaw their cats are the ones who abandon them is ridiculous!! Have you ever been holding your cat and it get spooked for whatever reason??? Their claws tear right into your clothes and skin and it hurts like He**!!! Imagine that pain with front and back claws to a child????? It draws blood!! Our cats are loved more than than anything and we consider them our furry babies. They have toys and a special bed and at night they even sleep with us. They are very well mannered and never cause us any issues. One use to be more skiddish when the kids were really little but he now comes up to them and whines till he is petted.
So really it is what each individual owner deems is right for their pet. No reason to try and make those who choose to do it feel awful about it! As for our cats outside. We allow them to go out on the patio for a few minutes from time to time and they are just fine with that. They have even been out to play in the snow!! They never stray from the porch and the one time our oldest did get out and we did not realize it she went right to the back porch and laid in the chair till we came and got her which was not long because I always take a head count before we turn in for the night!!
So good day to the neigh sayers who are soo against what I said. I wish the OP very many happy years with their cat and I am sure they will choose what is best for their situation! As for litter you gotta try several. We use to use Armon Hammer but after awhile it stopped working so we switched. I think it was right after they changed their formula to new and improved. If you do choose to declaw and inside only cat then be sure to NOT use regular afterwards. They need a special litter made from recycled newspaper I think it was for a week or maybe more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston