Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 08:53 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
What would you think if they built a mosque in your neighborhood?

I'm trying to understand how Houstonians might feel on this issue.
How do YOU feel about this issue? What about your contemporaries? What are their feelings?

Old 09-25-2010, 09:07 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
How many muslims are killing people here in America?? You have a situation in the middle east which not only is about religion but politics..mix extreme politics and religion together and what do you get?? But you also have a biased american media who potrays nothing but negative images of radical muslims..whats the difference when we soldiers to war who kill in the name of Jesus Christ?? Not to mention this country was built on killing those who didn't worship Jesus Christ, Ex: The indigenous tribes, Africans

When you have a christian get on tv and say the Haitians deserved death for "worshipping the devil" then your telling me that's not as bad as these radical muslims?? Like I said before i'm not with organized religion it's divisive and pretty foolish to me but I try to respect those who respect my beliefs..
I'm not saying anyone is killing anyone here - I'm saying you can't compare Christianity as a religion to radicalized religions -- it's just not the same. I also don't believe that it was Christianity that brought about slavery. It was man pure and simple and many of those countries first enslaved their own people and sold them. A crime that still happens today just in different ways - as domestic help sold and bartered, etc.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:55 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
How many muslims are killing people here in America?? You have a situation in the middle east which not only is about religion but politics..mix extreme politics and religion together and what do you get?? But you also have a biased american media who potrays nothing but negative images of radical muslims..whats the difference when we soldiers to war who kill in the name of Jesus Christ?? Not to mention this country was built on killing those who didn't worship Jesus Christ, Ex: The indigenous tribes, Africans

When you have a christian get on tv and say the Haitians deserved death for "worshipping the devil" then your telling me that's not as bad as these radical muslims?? Like I said before i'm not with organized religion it's divisive and pretty foolish to me but I try to respect those who respect my beliefs..
This is a silly thread. How many Muslims are killing people here in America? Enough to kill a few thousand when you add together 9-11, the Ft. Hood shooting and the Arkansas recruiting center shooting last year in Little Rock. It also would have been more had the bomb in Times Square gone off.

With that said, Muslims have every right to have their mosques anywhere they want here in Houston, just like Christians and Jews have their houses of worship. The real issue at hand is one that gets obfuscated quickly both by those on the right who want to demonize all Muslims and those on the left who derive a measure of self worth by priding themselves on being *tolerant* of anyone who isn't a white Christian - namely that a percentage of Muslims worldwide (including America) subscribe to a theology which calls for violent *jihad.* Exacerbating the problem is the fact that most non-Muslims can't tell the bad guys form the good guys, and most good-guy Muslims seem unwilling or unable to truly put the bad-guys in check.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:16 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio71 View Post
As long as they dont teach radicalism and killing Americans, thats fine with me. If they are peaceful and law abiding to the country that has adopted them, its a no concern, but if they start to rule out that their religion is fairer than my christianity, I think we will have an argument in there; The United States is a country born of free societies and religion specifically Christianity. We never offended our Muslim brothers until the idiots of 9/11 started it. That is why, you cannot erase the demeaned American he starts shooting his gun to a run amock muslim if he starts to violate American laws. We will be as peaceful as them until someone might start a spark then its a definitive Texan action.
US Treaty with Tripoli, 1796-1797

Quote:
Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

In case you wonder about who signed and proclaimed the treaty, it was President John Adams.

Does the 1796-97 Treaty with Tripoli Matter to Church/State Separation?

Old 09-25-2010, 10:20 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
US Treaty with Tripoli, 1796-1797

In case you wonder about who signed and proclaimed the treaty, it was President John Adams.

Does the 1796-97 Treaty with Tripoli Matter to Church/State Separation?
An excellent history of America's relationship with the Arab and Muslim world is Power, Faith and Fantasy by Michael Oren (Israel's current ambassador to the united States). Amazon.com: Power, Faith, and Fantasy: America in the Middle East: 1776 to the Present (9780393058260): Michael B. Oren: Books

Old 09-25-2010, 11:46 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,446,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Christians tell others and in some cases nag others but they don't get radicalized and kill those who don't share their beliefs. I don't think you can compare christianity to radicalized religions.
Really? Suggested reading: Deuteronomy Chapter 13.

For recent examples of American christians killing those who don't share their beliefs, how about the multiple murders of abortion clinic workers?

Old 09-26-2010, 12:06 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Yawn... trolling thread. OP can't even comment about it. Close thread. Good night

Old 09-26-2010, 12:16 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Yawn... trolling thread. OP can't even comment about it.
He comments in his other ones. For a change, his one actually has a bit of current relevance and hasn't been beaten to death around here for years.

Since he ostensibly cares what I think....I don't care. Yeah, that's pretty much my thoughts on it.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:25 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
This is a silly thread. How many Muslims are killing people here in America? Enough to kill a few thousand when you add together 9-11, the Ft. Hood shooting and the Arkansas recruiting center shooting last year in Little Rock. It also would have been more had the bomb in Times Square gone off.

With that said, Muslims have every right to have their mosques anywhere they want here in Houston, just like Christians and Jews have their houses of worship. The real issue at hand is one that gets obfuscated quickly both by those on the right who want to demonize all Muslims and those on the left who derive a measure of self worth by priding themselves on being *tolerant* of anyone who isn't a white Christian - namely that a percentage of Muslims worldwide (including America) subscribe to a theology which calls for violent *jihad.* Exacerbating the problem is the fact that most non-Muslims can't tell the bad guys form the good guys, and most good-guy Muslims seem unwilling or unable to truly put the bad-guys in check.
You know if you believe what the biased government control media tells you then by all means be a robot..9/11 is so many unanswered questions and facts that the U.S. government denied that we can go all day on who allowed innocent people to be killed on that day..also was the fort hood killer killing people in the name of Allah?? It could have been stressed mixed with some tension from other ppl he felt were doing harm to him because of his religion..he was in the U.S. Army I mean damn what more do you want?? The incident in Little Rock I'll give you that one

but do we really want to compare the blood on Christians hands? Jim Jones anyone?? many Christians who killed countless miniorities in the name of Jesus Christ?? Yeah you couldn't even compare..let's compare 100's of years to a couple of incidents and 1 that is somewhat fishy on who was really behind the killings

as far as the other guy saying religion wasn't behind slavery..the first slave ship was called Jesus..I could go alot deeper on the issue but it should be pretty much common sense

Old 09-26-2010, 07:31 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Christians tell others and in some cases nag others but they don't get radicalized and kill those who don't share their beliefs.
No they just try to pass laws based on their beliefs to force everyone else into their way of thinking. That, to me, is just as bad as the Muslim terrorist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston