U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-28-2010, 08:35 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,897,638 times
He didn't say he was opposed to driving at all, unless I missed something.

Most New Yorkers would probably own a car if it wasn't so expensive just to park it at home. It's not to say they would never walk or take public transit anywhere. Living closer in here in Houston, there is more you can do like that.

There are more people who live without cars in this city than most of these forum people would imagine or think about. People have an interesting way of making do with the little they do have.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 12:39 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,890,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
He didn't say he was opposed to driving at all, unless I missed something.

Most New Yorkers would probably own a car if it wasn't so expensive just to park it at home. It's not to say they would never walk or take public transit anywhere. Living closer in here in Houston, there is more you can do like that.

There are more people who live without cars in this city than most of these forum people would imagine or think about. People have an interesting way of making do with the little they do have.
Yes, Houston's public transport is virtually non-existent compared to NYC's, but then again what city in America's isn't?

Well around 50% of New Yorkers own a car, but if you've been in traffic there, ever, you'd know getting a car is the last thing they'd do. I think some of the main reasons people don't drive is because the subway doesn't serve them or they find their commute is complicated by transfers (the system is very Manhattan-centric, so it can be tough if you commute from one outer borough to another), personal aversion to public transport, or young kids/day trips. I've been stuck outside the city for hours, and I would have sooner walked.

But you're right though...he never said he wouldn't drive.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:19 PM

346 posts, read 388,377 times
And as far as heat goes, yea it was hot as hell from june to about a week ago literally, in the 90's everyday. But now its low 80's with lows in the 50's Fall has finally started. And for long term living houston is just a city currently under construction. Just think of it that way. Were not 400 yrs old like NY or any other northeastern ciry, were only about 100 yrs old as a city. Give us about 10 yrs, and our public transit, inner city ect will be good as most other US major cities, not NY but good. Now as of now, yea our 1 rail line and 3 under construction aren't nothin great. But You can still actually get everything you need on that one line. There are bars, resteraunts, grocery stores, even markets and flourist shops along main street alone. Its a downgrade from NY but its still a city.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:39 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,897,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
The bars downtown are okay on weekends, but kinda dead on weekdays.
I was at the Flying Saucer last night and I was standing for a good 20 minutes or so before a place to sit down opened up. This was earlier on in the evening, shortly after people are getting out of work.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:41 PM

3,334 posts, read 4,434,492 times
Quote:
I was at the Flying Saucer last night and I was standing for a good 20 minutes or so before a place to sit down opened up. This was earlier on in the evening, shortly after people are getting out of work.
You can't get a good dirty water dog, slice of pie (pizza), good bagels, nor a tastey knish here either.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:40 PM

15,282 posts, read 14,694,290 times
Nor lutefisk and lefse

Old 10-01-2010, 03:51 PM

18,516 posts, read 15,310,448 times
Quote:
why didn't you go somewhere else until it died down? There is a place near the Saucer we would go t=in the afternoons for beer and pizza

Old 10-01-2010, 04:01 PM

3,093 posts, read 5,652,834 times
I grew up in NYC and while I haven't lived in Wisconsin (Milwaukee), I've spent weeks at a time there for work over the course of 15 yrs.

As you probably already know, MD Anderson Cancer Center consistently ranks #1 & #2 alternately with Memorial Sloan Kettering. I don't know anything about the program iat UW - Madison, I presume but MDACC has an incredibly solid rep.

Madison is a college town. Houston is a major city. Madison gives you long, cold & snowy winters - more so than NYC (although I hear you're having some doozy weather lately). Houston gives you hot & humid summers from late May through mid-September but in between that? Pretty nice.

Sight-unseen, I'd choose MDACC based solely on its reputation and then secondly because Houston has a lot more to offer as a city than Madison.

Oh - as far as food? You'll not find a good cheese pie, decent bagel or hot dog...no matter what anyone says. I'm on the eternal hunt here & nothing meets my standards.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:12 PM

1,681 posts, read 1,639,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
You can't get a good dirty water dog, slice of pie (pizza), good bagels, nor a tastey knish here either.
Actually you probably could, just as not in abundance as in NYC.

Kenny & Ziggy's Deli - Houston

Pepperoni's Pizza - The best pizza in town!

Old 10-01-2010, 05:01 PM

891 posts, read 1,845,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Nor lutefisk and lefse
But you CAN get a great Nigerian Suya Chicken in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston