U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 03:39 PM

73 posts, read 63,708 times
Default NYC --> Houston?

Hey everyone,

25 year old, single guy from NYC here, I've been thinking about going back to school for quite some time now, and after tons of research I've basically narrowed it down to two programs; one at Universit of Wisconsin and one at UT MD Anderson Cancer Center. I would love to get info on the area around the Cancer Center, and definitely any info about housing. I know it's right by Rice, and I'd be looking to find a room to rent, not my own place just yet. That being said I'm passed the whole undergad. party scene, and would love some advice on which areas are somewhat close to campus with some restaruants, coffee shops, grocery stores, or bars within walking distance.

Also, how's the singles scene for single guy down there??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 04:28 PM

346 posts, read 391,483 times
In short everything you will want will be in the areas surrounding midtown, fannin, elgin, travis, kirby ect ect. Remember the intersections of these streets. And the med-center is only a stones throw from very lively single friendly areas. Good luck.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:02 PM

482 posts, read 456,188 times
Have you read all the posts about public transportation (or the lack thereof) in Houston? You'll soon want another way - other than walking or cycling -- to get around. Not every place you need or want to go will be in the Rice/Med Center/Midtown area.

If you haven't spent much time in Houston, it would be a good idea to come down and visit for a few days.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:23 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,554,173 times
Agree with Svensk above, if you've never been to Houston (or Wisconsin, for that matter), you'll want to try to visit first.

MD Anderson is primo.

Houston public transportation is virtually nonexistent (cue the screams from "Inside-the-Loopers") vs. NYC. You'll have to have a car or at very least a scooter.

What Houston DOES have to offer the New Yorker is similar (if vastly more spread out) amenities---restaurants, bars, museums, culture, pro sports, etc. You will find that lacking in Wisconsin. Winters here = rain vs. the snow in Wis.

I'm middle-aged now, but when I was young and single, Houston was -GREAT-. Um, very friendly, if you follow me.

Were I you, I would very seriously compare the PROGRAMS at the individual hospital and select the best one for where you want to go, vs. worrying about the surroundings. If you're young and single, that will take care of itself.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:37 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,414,880 times
i can smell the flames coming along

anyway, you cannot expect to live well in houston without a car. sorry

Old 09-28-2010, 07:11 PM

18,516 posts, read 15,475,271 times
I live in the area so I know it well.

First of all transportation is not virtually nonexistent in Houston. That is a flat out fib. We only have one train line but we have a lot of buses.

secondly the one train line we do have runs right through the med center and a block away from MD Anderson.

A great number of the people who work or go to school in the med center lives in the residential areas around it. These areas are largely supplied by buses. In the immediate area there are these in terms of grocery shopping:

Fiestamart, Target, and Krogers. Just a mile north of the Med center there is another Fiestamart, in the Museum/Montrose area there is another Fiestamart another Krogers and a Randalls supermarket. These are all in a five mile radius and served by buses that run very frequent, or by the train.

The med center is also littered with coffee shops. For restaurants, there are many in the Med center south area, many along main , many in the Rice area, and many more in the Montrose area.

as far as bars, there are not many in the immediate area. just a few at Rice and in the montrose area.

The best area I would suggest would be south of the medical center because food and grocery stores are within walking distance ( I stayed with my friend there when she was working at MD Anderson, and we walked to the grocery stores and restaurants.).

As for MD Anderson, I would go if I was you. The place is filled with so many opportunities you would be a fool to not go. just google it.

Houston is a real spread out place, and it takes a hell of a time getting use to it. The summers are no hotter than many areas, but the humidity is something you need to brace yourself for

The only thing I agree with above is that you should visit and see for yourself. Don't come now tho. we are having awesome weather and I don't want you to think this is normal

Again you will have a hard time getting around if you don't live along the downtown/midtown/medcenter area. This particular corridor is were the trains run so all the buses lead to it. if you live along or near the rail line you will not have as hard a time. The Train runs through the med center, the museum district, midtown, 5 blocks from Montrose, downtown and the theater district.

The bars downtown are okay on weekends, but kinda dead on weekdays. The trains run late though, so you can get your drinking on

Old 09-28-2010, 07:24 PM

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the detailed responses. I actually do have a car (rare for NYC) so that will definitely be coming with me. I would just like to find an area where I don't always need my car.

Seems like MD Anderson is in a pretty good spot. I've only been down to Houston once, but I plan on making a trip out to WI and Houston in December. I've been starting to check craigslist to get an idea of how much a share would cost...comparing it to NYC prices is depressing! Any areas I should be avoiding?

Old 09-28-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr1129 View Post
Hey everyone, thanks so much for the detailed responses. I actually do have a car (rare for NYC) so that will definitely be coming with me. I would just like to find an area where I don't always need my car.

Seems like MD Anderson is in a pretty good spot. I've only been down to Houston once, but I plan on making a trip out to WI and Houston in December. I've been starting to check craigslist to get an idea of how much a share would cost...comparing it to NYC prices is depressing! Any areas I should be avoiding?
okay, if you have a car that would be waaaaay better. My friend lived between the medical center and the reliant stadium and she used her car basically to go individual places she wanted to go on weekends. The week days were mainly for school/work, and she used the trains/buses for that.

Having a car for the fun spots will definately make your stay here sooooo much more comfortable. but living south of the med center, rice village or the Montrose mid town area you won't need to use it much. I would say on weekends only

Old 09-28-2010, 08:03 PM

Awesome, I'll start checking those places out. Thanks! I think my only other concern is that I might melt in the summer

Old 09-28-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr1129 View Post
Awesome, I'll start checking those places out. Thanks! I think my only other concern is that I might melt in the summer
you will. but you will be put back together again once fall arrives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston