Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:28 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well my mother was very tough when it came to raising us. The way she talked to us would sometimes be consider harsh or abusive, but it made us tougher than ever!

It was really hard to bully us because we were taught to always defend ourselves. We were never taught "run and tell an adult" because it never worked and it sometimes just made the situation worse.
there's nothing wrong with running and telling an adult. especially when it's those adults responsibility to ensure the safety and well-being of those kids. the problem in these schools is that teachers aren't doing anything

good for you that you were taught to defend yourselves, but many kids just don't have it in them, so they become targets and it isn't fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 10:36 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,846 times
Monkey see, monkey do...

The blame is rightly placed if it is placed upon society.
Our children are learners, we are the teachers. It is largely the way that they view us as adults
and our attitudes, sentiments, behaviors, phobias and the whole mixed bag of our dysfunctional projection as we bully ourselves into supermarket checkouts,
parking spaces, neighborhood disputes or husband/wife disagreements. However they see us handling differences between, skin colors, sexual attitudes, our
racial preferences, ethnic origins, even favorite ball teams, these kids want to grow up just like mom and pop. If dad was a wimp and displayed a spineless
reaction when confronted or faced with a situation that required him to stand up in self respect, chances are that junior wouldn't be inclined to stand up in
his own time of conflict.

It was one thing to be pushed around in the schoolyard by the local bully but things are not that easy today, to take your lumps and walk home with
your tail tucked between your legs. Jeeeze, when you get home, Mom won't even be there, she's down at Ihop, working the 3 to 7 shift and Dad is still sleeping
after getting off of the 6a.m. shift and the kid's ass is grass if he wakes his pop up. Junior has few friends, he's a shy, withdrawn introvert, he senses that every
other ear in his world has more to listen to than his problem. He tries getting into a good video session on his Xbox, a few hours of Grand Theft Auto aught to take
the edge off of his frustration and for this day, he can always turn his joystick into a digital shotgun and be the desktop avenger, venting all of the hatred for a
system that hasn't worked for him into that 32" screen and those digital bullies who have become the only viable recourse or target for dealing with his frustration.

No one has taken time to listen to junior, they are all too busy trying to stay afloat, the mortgage needs to be paid, dad just lost his job, mom drinks because since
the credit cards were cut up, she can't go shopping, big sister is always at the mall, his teacher is too busy and he needs someone to talk to, what is left when he's
come to the end of his narrow psychological road? He remembers Dad's pistol hanging there in the back of the closet, he thinks about his life and the fact that he is alone,
I mean ALONE, because he believes that there is no one who really cares about him, no one who'll take time to listen to him and it's for sure that his life is far from that world
of Justin Beiber and Miley Cyrus and everything that he knows he could never reach. Instead, he reaches for the gun in the closet.

This fast paced society in which we live, has become a spawning ground for these tragedies. Neighbors close their doors and hearts to neighbors, bosses lay off long
term employees, kids are stealing their parents meds, friends are doing drugs, there are gangbangers on his block, any one of a thousand reasons for him to want to be elsewhere.
Where else can he go? He reaches for his dad's illegal handgun, the one that dad bought a few days after the house was robbed and a few weeks after MS13 or the Crips
moved into his neighborhood, actually, about three months after his best friend at school had enough of this world and hung himself, in his basement.

Last edited by LongIslandEddie; 10-02-2010 at 12:05 AM..

Old 10-02-2010, 11:00 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
there's nothing wrong with running and telling an adult. especially when it's those adults responsibility to ensure the safety and well-being of those kids. the problem in these schools is that teachers aren't doing anything

good for you that you were taught to defend yourselves, but many kids just don't have it in them, so they become targets and it isn't fair.
It worked better when I took care of the situation myself. Running and telling an adult did nothing.

If it did work; we wouldn't be discussing this boys suicide right now.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:15 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,820,444 times
Such a horrible tradgedy. I remember school days very well and not every kid has it in them like some of us did, but if at all possible, you have to fight. I realize this may not apply to this specific tragedy, but it is an effective..yet dangerous..way to handle bullies.

If someone bullies you...the first time...pushes you, trips you down the stairs as what happened to this poor boy...you must retaliate. And when I say retaliate, you have to go crazy on the person...no matter how big. Grab his balls and sqeeze as hard as you can, scratch his eyes until they bleed, bite part of his face off...I don't care.

Yes, you will get in trouble..yes you may be suspended. HOWEVER, the next time the bullies want to pick on someone, they may want to try someone else who wont fight back.

It's crazy, but school rules are a lot like Prison. Sad but true.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:17 PM

55 posts, read 152,575 times
couple of comments;
-I dont think Cy_Fair ISD is handling this issue well. The District is in defensive mode right at the bat by issuing a statement that they did not receive any complaints about this matter (common now - BE HUMAN!). How about a statement that "we regret that this happens and this is an ongoing investigation and we could not comment at this time'. I dont think they care to investigate . Asher's parents should look into possibility of suing the school. I dont think there is any message of symphaty from the district's website even one of their own perished

-I also got picked on for my small size when I was in Middle school. Couple of guys about 5" taller than me tripped me on the school gym. I got up and knocked down one of them by launching a roundhouse kick. My attacker was hit solidly in the face and had difficulty getting up. I yelled "Kiyyaa" and went back to my fighting stance and looked fiercely at the other guy and ohh boy i could see the terrified look of his face. They never bullied me again after that . Other potential bullyer also refrained from bullying me as that incident circulates around the school. I was thankful to my Parents that they signed me up for Karate lesson since I was 5 yo.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:10 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,326,441 times
It will be interesting to see how much the parents actually did (or didn't do) to prevent this. While you'd hope your kids would be safe at school, any parent who doesn't do everything humanly possible to prevent something like this from happening needs their parenting card taken away. I really do hope that they tried to intervene as they said.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:02 PM

799 posts, read 2,441,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movetotexas09 View Post
couple of comments;
-I dont think Cy_Fair ISD is handling this issue well. The District is in defensive mode right at the bat by issuing a statement that they did not receive any complaints about this matter (common now - BE HUMAN!).
The district is doing what any responsible entity in a litigious society would.

Again, this is a terrible tragedy, but this was a troubled young boy with a verified history of emotional problems, by his own parents admission. The only verified piece of correspondence between parents and school admin is an email from the parents telling the school there had been an issue at home, and they believe he is suffering from post traumatic stress syndrome.

There is a ton of emotion floating around on this issue, but when that settles down, some of us will finally face reality. The school, at worst is maybe responsible for not being diligent enough in their monitoring of students, certainly nothing deserving of the vitriol being prematurely thrown around.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:04 PM

262 posts, read 650,199 times
Glad to see that this time, we took at least one full breath before blaming the school.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:39 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,706,626 times
Cy Fair ISD changed their story Friday night and said, "some student information indicates a perception that Asher was mistreated by classmates".

His parents both say they asked the school to do something about the bullies.

Recently another Cy Fair ISD high school boy was beaten with a metal pipe by his bullies after asking two principals and a bus driver for help. - Langham Creek HS

A child has the right to feel emotionally safe at school.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Facebook Page For Teen Who Committed Suicide Defaced - Local News - Houston, TX - Click2Houston.com - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39471174/ns/local_news-houston_tx/ - broken link)

These bullies need to be kicked out of school. The boy is dead and they are now defacing the memorial facebook page his friends put up? Is there any end in sight?

And how dare the school district release preliminary findings trying to blame the victim? I am outraged by that too.

Dorothy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston