U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-03-2010, 06:48 AM

607 posts, read 1,067,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Come on, sometimes you just have to let Darwin do his work. If your pet gets eaten, it was meant to be.
I laughed when I read Texascrude response. It was funny. I didn't think he was insensitive, have kids and very afraid of snakes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 07:01 AM

294 posts, read 583,530 times
Just a little email with pics I received - looks like it might be true since the phone # on the truck is from Katy:

"Another safety memo ! Eeeks !

This large (attached) snake was found inside the clothes dryer vent (that
leads outdoor) in a friends home. Nobody is sure how long the snake has
been living there, but it was discovered accidentally (with lots of bird's
nest & feathers) after he called in the bugs company to inspect the vents,
because his washer/dryer had stopped working. He was ready to replace the
washer/dryer but was advised by a technician to first check the vents for
possible blockage.

I also recall seeing on TV a while back, news of a snake that had made it
down the vent into the dryer, and was only discovered when the clothes were taken out of the dryer.

One recommendation for homeowners might be to consider cleaning the vents
regularly and also covering the exterior vents with a mesh. The mesh could
prevent snakes, birds, sparks, etc from entering your home through vents
without preventing air flow."

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1286110455

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1286110475

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1286110505
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes in attics?!-richmond-snake001.jpg   Snakes in attics?!-richmond-snake002.jpg   Snakes in attics?!-richmond-snake003.jpg  

Old 10-03-2010, 07:05 AM

3,666 posts, read 3,027,631 times
I have seen a snake climb up a very smooth front door, so they could just as easily get to the attic.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:14 AM

6,829 posts, read 3,365,057 times
One of the real "eye-openers" I experienced on our two year journey around the country is that regardless of what the Bible says, snakes are not only on the ground. If you visit the zoo in Columbia, SC or the Tennessee River Valley Aquarium, you will see that snake nest in trees, swim rivers, AND inch through the leaves and grasses. They are everywhere.

The good news is that MOST of them are friendly, non-venomous (and even the venomous will warn you off, first), so you really don't have to worry. They eat rodents, and that's a good thing.

We don't really have to make war on every creature that crosses our paths. Most of them will co-exist with us just fine, if we forget to be afraid.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:22 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,419,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
One of the real "eye-openers" I experienced on our two year journey around the country is that regardless of what the Bible says, snakes are not only on the ground. If you visit the zoo in Columbia, SC or the Tennessee River Valley Aquarium, you will see that snake nest in trees, swim rivers, AND inch through the leaves and grasses. They are everywhere.

The good news is that MOST of them are friendly, non-venomous (and even the venomous will warn you off, first), so you really don't have to worry. They eat rodents, and that's a good thing.

We don't really have to make war on every creature that crosses our paths. Most of them will co-exist with us just fine, if we forget to be afraid.
Ugh, I'd almost have to choose rodents over snakes!

Old 10-03-2010, 07:24 AM

I don't want to relay misinformation since I don't have all the facts but my nephew's co-worker was bitten by a copperhead or coral snake last month. He was at the Trinity River and this was his 2nd bite. He did not receive treatment and was told, by whom I don't know, anti-venom for that particular snake is no longer being manufactured. He's okay.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:38 AM

6,829 posts, read 3,365,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Ugh, I'd almost have to choose rodents over snakes!
No, you really don't. Rodents carry fleas -- recall the Bubonic Plague, aka: Black Death? It all started with infected fleas from rodents.

Snakes do not carry fleas.

Don't get me wrong, I am still not a fan of snakes, and get the heebie-jeebies just seeing them, but I do NOW understand that they serve a good purpose in the world.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:38 AM

344 posts, read 627,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanon View Post
Just a little email with pics I received - looks like it might be true since the phone # on the truck is from Katy
Curious to know if the email identified the species of snake involved. I'm generally clueless about snakes so can't identify that one. Looks like the exterminator was given him a lot of respect, and distance.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLizardo View Post
Curious to know if the email identified the species of snake involved. I'm generally clueless about snakes so can't identify that one. Looks like the exterminator was given him a lot of respect, and distance.
It didn't but it looks exactly like the snake, a non-poisonous eastern hog nose, that was in front of my sister's house out here in Spring a couple of months ago. Now that thing was huge, about 4 ft. Her boyfriend went outside to see what the commotion was - someone had run over it - so he went to bag it up and decided to play a little joke on my sister. Took the big black sack to her and told her to open it which she did, screamed bloody murder and flung the thing clear across the room. Her scream scared him more than the snake.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:47 AM

7,705 posts, read 17,792,395 times
Keep this one handy:
Texas Junior Naturalists Venomous Texas Snakes

The possibility is there for you to encounter each of the 4 North American poisonous snakes in this part of the state, but I've only seen 2 copperheads and a bunch of non-poisonous snakes. Those not only eat rats but toads & frogs, too. I think snakes are pretty cool but seeing the shadow of a rat sneak around the patio at night gives me the willies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston