U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 03:40 PM

2,324 posts, read 3,224,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Last time I looked, the beautiful Riverside Terrace was a hood.

As far as West U, Meyerland, and Bellaire, they are all surrounded by "buffer" neighborhoods--Westbury, Maplewood, etc...before you get into the trouble spots.

I'm just throwing in observations.

I sure miss Houston sometimes... you guys don't know how good you have it. Or, maybe you do.
Riverside Terrace isn't a hood, but it is right next to one. I went to UH, and I have been around the surrounding neighborhoods. I'm pretty sure Riverside Terrace homes are in the $400,000 range. I was told it used to be the wealthy part of Houston way back in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 04:02 PM

18,516 posts, read 16,589,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Riverside Terrace isn't a hood, but it is right next to one. I went to UH, and I have been around the surrounding neighborhoods. I'm pretty sure Riverside Terrace homes are in the $400,000 range. I was told it used to be the wealthy part of Houston way back in the day.
Yeah she is probably confusing Riverside with the hood.

Riverside was built for wealthy Houstonians who were not white and thus could not buy into River Oaks

There are many Million dollar Mansions in Riverside. The bad thing is it is sandwiched by two hoods

Old 12-07-2010, 08:02 AM

6,868 posts, read 13,016,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Yeah she is probably confusing Riverside with the hood.

Riverside was built for wealthy Houstonians who were not white and thus could not buy into River Oaks

There are many Million dollar Mansions in Riverside. The bad thing is it is sandwiched by two hoods

Listen, I hate to burst your collective bubble here, but you are both incorrect. I'm not confused about anything, and especially not about Riverside Terrace.

Riverside Terrace was built for JEWISH people in the 1930s and 40s who were not WANTED in River Oaks. Many of the architects that built the homes in River Oaks built in Riverside Terrace: John Staub, John Chase, and Birdsall Briscoe (my personal fave). White flight took over in the 60s, and by the end of the 60s and well into the 70s, the demographic had shifted to predominantly African-Americans.

The neighborhood is sad and pathetic, a disgrace to the character and loveliness that once was. People cannot afford to take care of most of their properties and enormous icons belonging to families like the Sakowitzes, Fingers, and others that helped build Houston into what it is today are sitting abandoned and in disrepair. Some have been razed and horrid replacements have been built.

In the 70s and 80s, a declaration from the homeowners was made in a documentary: we are not moving, so don't try to get us to sell. As a result, the neighborhood has remained in a state of flux, with some people who want to buy and restore some of the more historical homes being shut out because they are wealthy and/or white (gasp!), meanwhile, others have been allowed to buy some of the cheaper homes and maintain the status quo.

Despite what some real estate articles have said in the past few years, you can plainly see on HAR that Riverside Terrace homes are not in the million-dollar sales range. The only home that comes close is the one on Parkwood...but even that has dropped TEN PERCENT in price and I highly doubt it will sell for a million. In fact, a 2009 article cited HAR.com sales information and it revealed that the sales price per square foot average is $37. That is not even CLOSE to being a wealthy neighborhood. For comparison: the cheapest home in River Oaks is asking $247 per square foot, and a typical 2500 square foot home in Meyerland is asking $136 per square foot. The same size home in Sharpstown: $55 a square foot.

Riverside Terrace will continue to be a 'hood unless the people inside start making changes. Once that begins, you will see it make a comeback, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. It is so sad, because there are some amazing houses falling down on themselves over there...beautiful, stately homes that deserve to be restored.

Last edited by Mom2Feebs; 12-07-2010 at 08:18 AM..

Old 12-07-2010, 09:05 AM

10,180 posts, read 5,215,172 times
Allow me to weigh in because I actually have lived in both before.

I was born in a Chicago suburb called Naperville, and it is a very affluent suburb and its beautiful. I really miss it a lot, even when I go back home to Chicago now we live in The Loop/Downtown rather than the suburbs but it was one hell of a baller place.

Besides the scenery, they are the same. Houston's suburbs are more integrated but diversity, no Chicago is not more multicultural per say just a larger overall urban environment, its actually quite blandish in most suburban parts unless it has Arab or Asian influence. I know Chicagoland well enough after being born there and living there to say that Houston's suburbs have integration pinned for sure.

Chicago's suburbs are prettier by a good margin. Houston's aren't ugly but there are no Riverwalk and traditional style "downtowns" like Naperville's. Or any narrow streets. Ah man I just miss home right about now.

Naperville = Sugar Land pretty much in a lot of ways including diversity or so. Sugar Land has the edge there but Naperville is prettier. Skokie, Evanston, and the likes are also affluent suburbs. But Houston are has some rather non-diverse areas like The Woodlands too. I guess it evens out.

Sugar Land & Naperville are the most diverse in both Metropolitan Areas. But they're pretty much the same more so.

This is Naperville (In Chicagoland):

Old 12-07-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Listen, I hate to burst your collective bubble here, but you are both incorrect. I'm not confused about anything, and especially not about Riverside Terrace.

Riverside Terrace was built for JEWISH people in the 1930s and 40s who were not WANTED in River Oaks. Many of the architects that built the homes in River Oaks built in Riverside Terrace: John Staub, John Chase, and Birdsall Briscoe (my personal fave). White flight took over in the 60s, and by the end of the 60s and well into the 70s, the demographic had shifted to predominantly African-Americans.

The neighborhood is sad and pathetic, a disgrace to the character and loveliness that once was. People cannot afford to take care of most of their properties and enormous icons belonging to families like the Sakowitzes, Fingers, and others that helped build Houston into what it is today are sitting abandoned and in disrepair. Some have been razed and horrid replacements have been built.

In the 70s and 80s, a declaration from the homeowners was made in a documentary: we are not moving, so don't try to get us to sell. As a result, the neighborhood has remained in a state of flux, with some people who want to buy and restore some of the more historical homes being shut out because they are wealthy and/or white (gasp!), meanwhile, others have been allowed to buy some of the cheaper homes and maintain the status quo.

Despite what some real estate articles have said in the past few years, you can plainly see on HAR that Riverside Terrace homes are not in the million-dollar sales range. The only home that comes close is the one on Parkwood...but even that has dropped TEN PERCENT in price and I highly doubt it will sell for a million. In fact, a 2009 article cited HAR.com sales information and it revealed that the sales price per square foot average is $37. That is not even CLOSE to being a wealthy neighborhood. For comparison: the cheapest home in River Oaks is asking $247 per square foot, and a typical 2500 square foot home in Meyerland is asking $136 per square foot. The same size home in Sharpstown: $55 a square foot.

Riverside Terrace will continue to be a 'hood unless the people inside start making changes. Once that begins, you will see it make a comeback, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. It is so sad, because there are some amazing houses falling down on themselves over there...beautiful, stately homes that deserve to be restored.
MOM you are the only one arguing that Riverside is like/unlike River Oaks. No one said that. What we are arguing over is your definition of hood. I don't think homes that are generally in the 300k range with spikes in the millions are hoods.

The homes in Riverside are massive. you get more home for less price. that is why the price per foot is so low. Yeah you get a 1500sq foot home in Sharpstown for 110K and you get 6000 sq footer in Riverside for 350K doesn't mean that the Latter is a hood. It means the latter was bought for more sq footage per dollar

Last edited by HtownLove; 12-07-2010 at 10:08 AM..

Old 12-07-2010, 10:08 AM

1.5M dropped to 1.35M (estimated value before Ike 2.2M):

3412 S Parkwood Dr, Houston, TX 77021 MLS# 15614104 - Zillow

1.36M:
3742 S Macgregor Way, Houston, TX 77021 - Zillow

1.4M:
3418 S Parkwood Dr, Houston, TX 77021 - Zillow

1M:
3430 S Parkwood Dr, Houston, TX 77021 - Zillow

555,500:
3302 S Macgregor Way, Houston, TX 77021 - Zillow

600K:
3214 S Macgregor Way, Houston, TX 77021 - Zillow

500K:
3342 S Macgregor Way, Houston, TX 77021 - Zillow

460K:
3403 N Parkwood Dr, Houston, TX 77021 - Zillow

516K:
3430 S Macgregor Way, Houston, TX 77021 - Zillow

595K:
3434 S Macgregor Way, Houston, TX 77021 - Zillow

621K:
3510 S Macgregor Way, Houston, TX 77021 - Zillow

I dunno MOM, if your ghetto includes houses so pricey I wanna live in your Ghetto. In the immediate area the cheapest houses were about 200K. Yes you stumble over into 3rd ward and find a 50k house, but I wold not call an area filled with homes 200k and above a hood

Last edited by HtownLove; 12-07-2010 at 10:16 AM..

Old 12-07-2010, 10:23 AM

8,984 posts, read 15,710,836 times
zillow is a poor argument. I've seen houses sell for 1/2 or for triple "their" estimates all over this city.

Har.com has recent sales for far less than one million in Riverside. But one can always ask what they want. Maybe it will become trendy one day, but like Sharpstown they have a lot of improving to do to get high dollar..mostly in the public schools. Great housing stock though. But Memorial/River Oaks type pricing is a little steep at this time.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
zillow is a poor argument. I've seen houses sell for 1/2 or for triple "their" estimates all over this city.

Har.com has recent sales for far less than one million in Riverside. But one can always ask what they want. Maybe it will become trendy one day, but like Sharpstown they have a lot of improving to do to get high dollar..mostly in the public schools. Great housing stock though. But Memorial/River Oaks type pricing is a little steep at this time.
does homes selling for less than one million amount to a place being a hood?

Old 12-07-2010, 01:23 PM

3,101 posts, read 5,920,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
I'm trusting your comparing Highland Park and The Woodlands isn't bacause of Ravinia and Mitchell Pavilion.
Oh, my. I would never pit Mitchell Pavilion against Ravinia. NO comparison! Ravinia is head & shoulders above!

Old 12-07-2010, 08:50 PM

6,868 posts, read 13,016,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post

Exactly. Zillow cannot be used as any kind of market value in Texas or other states that restrict sales price being made public record. Unfortunately I think our points have fallen on deaf ears (and apparently offended ones, at that). People will only hear what they want. *shrugs*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston