U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:47 AM

694 posts, read 1,176,857 times
Katy is safe, a family-friendly community and schools are good. I certainly don't *worry* about crime but I'm still bright enough to lock my doors and be aware of my surroundings.

I know my neighbors, we look out for each other... so that speaks volumes more than any Brinks alarm can. I have walked in my subdivision in Cinco Ranch after dark from a friend's house, and never worried.

You're right, "data" cannot tell everything. I have no idea what a "1" is. I have no idea what a "6" is. I have no idea what crimes they are including/not including in those statistics. Statistics and rates can be skewed into whatever you want it to be.

Katy is also a very large ambiguous area. There is the city of Katy (simple enough) zip 77493. There is also unincorporated Harris County with a "Katy" address (zip 77449, 77450) and unincorporated Fort Bend County (zip 77494)

Then there are school district boundries for Katy ISD that may or may not serve folks with a "Katy, TX" address. You can get "Katy TX" mail and go to school in Cy-Fair ISD. You can live in Fulshear, TX and be zoned to a school in Katy ISD.

I "live in Katy" and when I visit another friend "in Katy" it can be a 30 min drive. Katy is small town. Katy is also big, sometimes expensive "master planned communities." Katy is small neighborhoods. Katy is cheaply built basic houses lived in by lower income renters on one end, and over the top 6000 sq ft enclaves lived in by executives on the other end.

Depending on what "rank" or "rate" you may find a Katy ISD school to be good or bad. Some schools look good on one "rank" and the same school looks bad on another "rank" Numbers can't tell the full story.

So again, I can't tell what "Katy" you are looking at that is a "6" anymore than I can tell what your Chicago suburb is like because it is a "1."

What "Katy" are you refering to?

If considering a move down here, consider renting first. We did this eons ago ('99) and it was the best decision we made for our family. If we "landed wrong" it was easier to get out of an apartment rental than put a whole house for sale. When it came down to putting down roots, we knew what parts of town were best for us, and we didn't have to rely on an ambigous numerical "rate" to make the decision blindly.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 11:18 AM

7,135 posts, read 7,443,131 times
The Houston area is a little more complicated than bad zip code/good zip code. You have to take it by subdivisions. Whoever mentioned that Katy south of I-10 is nicer than north of I-10 is correct - but there is more of a mix north of I-10. A good rule of thumb is whether you would walk your dog at night. If the answer is "no", pick another subdivision.

There is nowhere I would leave my garage door up on purpose, but I have done it by accident. I certainly don't want to make it a habit. (Actually, your neighbors don't want to look at your open garage - they aren't attractive - LOL).

Old 10-05-2010, 04:47 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,662,978 times
+1. Also, you mentioned west part of houston, that's not the same as Katy. Greater Houston area is a city that changes from block to block so do your research specific to subdivisions. Overall though, Katy is safe. And no, don't ever leave your doors/windows open b/c stuff will happen for sure, regardless of where you are in Houston.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:49 PM

6,362 posts, read 9,182,413 times
Katy is a good place to live but NO you cannot leave your garage door up overnight - and that applies to any place in Houston. In fact, in most neighborhoods if you leave it up during the day while you are inside the house, you could wind up missing bicycles or something out of your car. And you keep the doors to your house locked too ...... its just a common sense thing in a city this size. Katy is a good suburb though.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:36 PM

17 posts, read 23,301 times
Of course, no one here intentionally leaves door open overnight, just occasionally forget it. But in the daylight, many garage doors keep open for a very long time. Seems that I should get rid of this habit if moving to Houston.

By the way, does a good school district mean a safe place to live? Such as, Bellaire, and sugar land.

I saw a couple of great high schools in the south of Houston, but they are very close to downtown. Are there as safe as Katy? In Chicago, the closer to downtown, the unsafer. You know, Chicago area has an even higher crime rate than Houston overall.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:59 AM

42 posts, read 100,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadful View Post
By the way, does a good school district mean a safe place to live? Such as, Bellaire, and sugar land.

I saw a couple of great high schools in the south of Houston, but they are very close to downtown. Are there as safe as Katy? In Chicago, the closer to downtown, the unsafer. You know, Chicago area has an even higher crime rate than Houston overall.
No, great schools do not indicate a safe place to live. Bellaire and the Downtown Houston area has many excellent private schools, but both areas are much more dangerous than living in rural Katy. I think the same is probably said for many urban areas.

As for public schools, no way in heck I'd put my kid in a public school anywhere within Houston city limits. Katy public schools are much safer, but once again, it's a rural area and that's like comparing apples and oranges.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:44 AM

8,877 posts, read 14,920,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaggie View Post
As for public schools, no way in heck I'd put my kid in a public school anywhere within Houston city limits. Katy public schools are much safer, but once again, it's a rural area and that's like comparing apples and oranges.

Really? Memorial HS outranks Katy. As well as the Elementry schools and Memorial MS being ranked Exemplary.Exceedly safe area with it's own police force. Stratford,Westside and Bellaire are all up there too. I think you used too broad of brush ....

And in the words of Ronnie "Just sayin'"

Old 10-06-2010, 09:12 AM

17 posts, read 23,301 times
If I limit the area to south Katy (south to Hwy10), Cinco Ranch, and its nearby (say, within 15 or 20 minutes driving distance), is there such a SAFE place with great schools (all levels, since my kids will go through all elementary, middle and high)? Which schools are excellent?

Old 10-06-2010, 09:19 AM

8,877 posts, read 14,920,807 times
I think it takes 15-20 minutes just to get OUT of Cinco.

All the schools are fine and safe in Cinco.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:17 PM

382 posts, read 604,565 times
If you go purely by state ratings, there are 24 elementary schools in Katy ISD rated "Exemplary" -- too many to list. There are 6 jr. high schools rated "Exemplary" (Beck, Beckendorff, Cinco Ranch, McDonald, McMeans, Woodcreek). There are 2 high schools rated "Exemplary" (Cinco Ranch and Seven Lakes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston