U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:16 AM

995 posts, read 1,015,728 times

Advertisements

A lot of people have mentioned KTRU 91.7 as though it still is on the air. It isn't. Obviously they don't listen to the station like they are implying.

Anyway, for those out to lunch or simply not aware, folks higher up (either at the university level, or at the political level) have weaseled their way in, and put an end to the openminded, progressive station. It's been in the works for awhile, and the station has been "successfully" shut down. My guess is that it goes back to the whole arch-conservative move to stamp out and silence other views (views that don't fit into the narrow-minded, rigid, patriot, Fox-News mindset). It's happening constantly with news print media, and they are after radio stations as well. Looks like they got their way again.

Below is some information from the radio website KTRU It is surprisingly upbeat and happy in tone, despite the difficult and grueling efforts that went on during the last few months, trying to save the station from the high-roller fat cats.

last hours on 91.7fm

Hey ktru fans! tomorrow (thursday, april 28th) at 6am, we will cease broadcasting over our fm signal. it is a sad end of an era… but we will continue to broadcast our programming over the internet and on 90.1 HD-2. so if you love listening over the air, you should go out and buy an HD radio!

thanks for listening. our final days on 91.7fm have been memorable. in these final 12 or so hours, we will undoubtedly continue to rock as well. long live ktru!

Last edited by Sunderpig; 05-17-2011 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 08:16 PM

819 posts, read 1,163,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
A lot of people have mentioned KTRU 91.7 as though it still is on the air. It isn't. Obviously they don't listen to the station like they are implying.

Anyway, for those out to lunch or simply not aware, folks higher up (either at the university level, or at the political level) have weaseled their way in, and put an end to the openminded, progressive station. It's been in the works for awhile, and the station has been "successfully" shut down. My guess is that it goes back to the whole arch-conservative move to stamp out and silence other views (views that don't fit into the narrow-minded, rigid, patriot, Fox-News mindset). It's happening constantly with news print media, and they are after radio stations as well. Looks like they got their way again.

Below is some information from the radio website KTRU It is surprisingly upbeat and happy in tone, despite the difficult and grueling efforts that went on during the last few months, trying to save the station from the high-roller fat cats.

last hours on 91.7fm

Hey ktru fans! tomorrow (thursday, april 28th) at 6am, we will cease broadcasting over our fm signal. it is a sad end of an era… but we will continue to broadcast our programming over the internet and on 90.1 HD-2. so if you love listening over the air, you should go out and buy an HD radio!

thanks for listening. our final days on 91.7fm have been memorable. in these final 12 or so hours, we will undoubtedly continue to rock as well. long live ktru!
I signed the peitition to save KTRU at the end of last year. The good news is that we saved it as an over the air entity albeit via HD radio.

Look what happened to KUSF in San Francisco, totally shut down one day. KTRU was spared from that fate. I am not aware of KUSF being available on any radio format at all out there.

We already knew that the 91.7 dial was going to go blank someday. But I am going to get myself an HD radio so I can continue to listen to it in my car. We still have KTRU programming on the Houston airwaves, just not on 91.7 anymore.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:23 PM

12,673 posts, read 13,355,755 times
Rush Limbaugh is a biased Republican. He always talks negative about Obama and Democrats.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:58 PM

995 posts, read 1,015,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
I signed the peitition to save KTRU at the end of last year. The good news is that we saved it as an over the air entity albeit via HD radio.

We still have KTRU programming on the Houston airwaves, just not on 91.7 anymore.
But that stinks; having to buy an HD radio just to keep listening. It shouldn't be that way. We shouldn't have to pay for other's mistakes. They were doing what they should do; serving the community on standard FM radio, playing a wide variety of music that none of the other stations play.

Now the radio station is back on, playing boring, instrumental classical music (again, the voices and originality have been silenced). We have one less option on standard FM radio. There was already a classical station anyway (88.1), so what's the point?

The same thing happened years ago with a smooth jazz station. It was another form of music that generally wasn't covered by other stations. Guess what?, they killed it too. Yeah, they went to Internet radio, and folks said "yeah, we'll continue following it", but most didn't. Same for the heavy metal station mentioned.

It's easy to see the trend - less variety and less options as time goes on. On the other hand, if you like Hispanic programming, that's surging ahead with more stations on both FM and AM being added or changed over.

There isn't enough benefit - in my opinion - to getting HD radio to make it worth the purchase. Thank God I've got my CDs and Ipod...

Old 05-18-2011, 10:29 PM

819 posts, read 1,163,498 times
I think HD radio is the way to go in the long run.
HD Radio | What is HD Radio? | More Music. More Stations. More Features. Digital Sound. No Subscription.

I'm looking forward to getting myself a converter for my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston