Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 07:22 AM

122 posts, read 477,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
30 days is a long time for a house to be on the market these days. You need to think about how you came up with your current sales price. Was it based on current market conditions and comparables that have sold recently in your area? Or, was it based on what you owe or on the amount of profit you want to get in order to have a down payment? If it's the latter reasons (or anything other than current market conditions and comparables) you most likely do need to reduce your price. Whether you do this is totally up to you and whether or not you really need to sell right now.
I don't think 30 days is a long time in this market at all. Our listing price was based on the analysis done by our agent based on recent sales and current listings in the neighborhood. She fed it into the software, and it spits out a suggested range. She suggested we go on the high end of the range, but we opted to price it lower because we were afraid being over $300k was just too high. I interviewed a few agents before we listed, and it seems like they all use the same basic software for this. The pricing has absolutely nothing to do with how much we owe on the property, or getting money for a down payment, or making a profit. Given how much we've put into upgrading the house, we'll be taking a loss on it. The question is just how much. We've got a lot of upgrades in the house that the other listings in our neighborhood don't have. It's yet to be seen whether buyers will value those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 08:00 AM

799 posts, read 2,440,701 times
Guys, that "30 days is a long time" comment came from CA. I dont think Id put too much weight on the current state of real estate in TX in a comment from CA.

Houses take awhile to sell here right now. you are on the right track. Clean up the listing, and hold firm on price.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:32 AM

377 posts, read 1,345,666 times
Just curious ? How did you find your realtor ? Referred by someone or ... ?

Old 10-12-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretogo View Post
Just curious ? How did you find your realtor ? Referred by someone or ... ?
We met her looking at one of her other listings.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:37 AM

119 posts, read 504,521 times
Hi, if someone is interested to buy your house for investment and to rent it out, can someone tell me approximately how much you can rent it out for?

Old 10-12-2010, 08:56 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
It would rent for approxiamately $3000 - but that is not a good rental property - the pool of renters looking in that range is very, very, very small - with huge gaps of time being vacant in between. It would be a poor investment for rental property. Once people are up that high in rental amounts, they usually buy instead of rent.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:58 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
30 days is a long time for a house to be on the market these days. You need to think about how you came up with your current sales price. Was it based on current market conditions and comparables that have sold recently in your area? Or, was it based on what you owe or on the amount of profit you want to get in order to have a down payment? If it's the latter reasons (or anything other than current market conditions and comparables) you most likely do need to reduce your price. Whether you do this is totally up to you and whether or not you really need to sell right now.
Possibly in California but not here. In the very best of times, huge Houston has always had enough homes on the market that 30 days isn't very long. Totally different market.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:49 PM

55 posts, read 103,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Possibly in California but not here. In the very best of times, huge Houston has always had enough homes on the market that 30 days isn't very long. Totally different market.

That's good to know. Just listed my house last week and feel so antsy to sell but I know it's S l o w out there. I love all the feedback on this thread, some great info!!

Old 10-12-2010, 02:25 PM

Got a call from centralized showing at 1:30 to schedule a 2:15 showing today. So I rush to finish up my work (I work from home) and get out of the house. And then the agent doesn't even show up for the appointment. Really pisses me off.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:38 PM

55 posts, read 103,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbusdog View Post
Got a call from centralized showing at 1:30 to schedule a 2:15 showing today. So I rush to finish up my work (I work from home) and get out of the house. And then the agent doesn't even show up for the appointment. Really pisses me off.

Happened to us on Friday. 1st showing after being on the market for just 3 days. It was at night so we piled dogs and kids into the car for 2 hrs. I stayed close and circled the neighborhood and watched the house just incase they came earlier and we wouldn't have to have the kids out WAY past their bedtime.

No call to cancel, no show. Like you, we were really annoyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston