Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:06 AM

3 posts, read 4,862 times

Advertisements

Don't really want to give that information..Surely, you are not implying that those factors determine where one can or should live , are you?

My 4 year old has friends who are Hindu,Buddhist,Christian,Muslim etc , and I'd like to keep it that way.

Good Public Schools, and Cultural Diversity are the key factors for us. Being somewhat close to downtown Houston would be a plus too. A place that does not look like a barren desert is another plus.

If the Neighbors are friendly, that is cool, if not, that's cool too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGL1 View Post
NEW JERSEY???? Where's my rope???

Ok, so my girls from NJ so I guess I'll allow you in to my beloved country. But be more specific. Whats ya ethnicity, politics, religion, educational background, etc. Man, we gotta know all that before we can situate ya somewheres!

And no srsly, I mean it. I lived all over Houston plus I was in the real estate bidness so I know whats hot, whats not and whats just plain scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 10:24 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,111,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balubalu View Post
Don't really want to give that information..Surely, you are not implying that those factors determine where one can or should live , are you?

My 4 year old has friends who are Hindu,Buddhist,Christian,Muslim etc , and I'd like to keep it that way.

Good Public Schools, and Cultural Diversity are the key factors for us. Being somewhat close to downtown Houston would be a plus too. A place that does not look like a barren desert is another plus.

If the Neighbors are friendly, that is cool, if not, that's cool too.
If you are close to downtown the homes are going to be older and smaller. Houston might be more diverse than you expect. All of the area mentioned before have good schools and are attractive. Diversity is not one of Fairfield's strong points - so you might nix that one.

The previous poster might have given you the wrong impression of the city. We are extremely relaxed about differences in religion (or no religion at all), politics, race, etc.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:34 AM

3 posts, read 4,222 times
I moved here from Chicago about 15 years ago and I wouldn't live in Katy because of the traffic!!
If you go East of the city on route 45 you run into some nice areas and they aren't too far from the Gulf. The Woodlands would be my choice(I live farther north than that) everything is so conventient and it is only about an hours drive to get to the downtown area of the zoo and museums.. Everything in Texas is an hour away!! LOL But I would get a realtor to show you about in all the areas..Just remember it gets beastly hot in the summer! But Welcome to Texas! Well, almost..

Old 10-12-2010, 11:37 AM

3 posts, read 4,222 times
I forgot, I don't know what your political standing is but Texas for the most part is Republican, there are pockets of us democrats around..Montgomery Co. has more dems I think than most other counties... Just thought I would throw that in there..

Old 10-12-2010, 12:41 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,122,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudjie50 View Post
I forgot, I don't know what your political standing is but Texas for the most part is Republican, there are pockets of us democrats around..Montgomery Co. has more dems I think than most other counties... Just thought I would throw that in there..
Right...

Old 10-12-2010, 01:24 PM

I am Democrat and have no idea what my neighbors are - and I know them. Typical for Houston.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:53 PM

95 posts, read 321,169 times
To give you an idea how diverse Houston is, checkout this color coded "Race and Ethnicity" map.

Race and ethnicity: Houston | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/4982043082/in/set-72157624812674967 - broken link)

The SW side of Houston (Sugarland / Missouri City) is the most ethnically diverse based on this map and my experience.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyfairre View Post
To give you an idea how diverse Houston is, checkout this color coded "Race and Ethnicity" map.

Race and ethnicity: Houston | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/4982043082/in/set-72157624812674967 - broken link)

The SW side of Houston (Sugarland / Missouri City) is the most ethnically diverse based on this map and my experience.
I believe the info was from the last census figures, about 10 years ago. Houston has greatly changed to be more diverse since then.
Also, there are 87 foreign embassies located in the Greater Houston Metro Area - the other 8 are in Austin or Fort Worth or Dallas.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:43 PM

95 posts, read 321,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I believe the info was from the last census figures, about 10 years ago. Houston has greatly changed to be more diverse since then.
Also, there are 87 foreign embassies located in the Greater Houston Metro Area - the other 8 are in Austin or Fort Worth or Dallas.
You are correct. This is based on the 2000 census, but I think it is still pretty accurately depicts the level of diversity in the city. There is just much more of it now (less red dots).

Old 10-12-2010, 05:27 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,665,848 times
Whites are a minority in city of Houston so diversity is not an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston