Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:23 AM

84 posts, read 342,658 times

Advertisements

We live in Katy... Do you guys think Security Alarm Monitor service required?
Does it really help in case of robbery/break ins?
I have been postponing this since this costs around 40$. What you guys think about this? Any inputs really appreciated.

Any recommendation on which service is better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 08:46 AM

322 posts, read 710,131 times
I'll let other folks talk about security in Katy.

For us, we talked to our insurance folks and we get about 10% reduction in premiums for the monitored alarm.

We pay $30 a month for the monitored alarm, or $360 a year. We save $330 a year on our home insurance. So - doing the math - $30 a year out of pocket AND we get the alarm monitored.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:00 AM

51 posts, read 135,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipresa View Post
I'll let other folks talk about security in Katy.

For us, we talked to our insurance folks and we get about 10% reduction in premiums for the monitored alarm.

We pay $30 a month for the monitored alarm, or $360 a year. We save $330 a year on our home insurance. So - doing the math - $30 a year out of pocket AND we get the alarm monitored.
i think "Shipresa" summed it up quite well. The only thing i would like to add is for $30 a year (as the math turned out to be) why wouldn't i get home security to get a little peace of mind. And i think it works.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:14 AM

834 posts, read 2,684,020 times
my monthly monitoring fee is $27. You will get a certificate to give your homeowner's insurance to bring down a discount on your premium. Shop around for companies. If your home is already wired, there is no additional cost. If you want to get additional things (cell backup, or glass break-in)...that would be extra cost for the equipment (one time fee).

I had ADT for an older home because they provided full wireless service. Where I live now, they house is pre-wired and I ended up with Anchor Security. There is also another company that some of my neighbors have - Turbo Communications. Both Anchor and Turbo also do speakers, etc for the house. We chose Anchor because they had a very detailed explanation of the services, they were very straighforward and take their time explaining how to use the service. Also the system is very easy to use.

***ADT does provide a lot of good services but they tend to be pushy (at least the sales guy I spoke to). So I would suggest schedule a few appointments with different vendors and ask for a detailed breakdown of what they will be charging you for.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:15 AM

5 posts, read 16,909 times
If you go with Smith Thompson, it's only $17 a month with no contract. No extra fee for wireless monitoring without home phone line either. I think they haven't raised that rate in over 20 years too.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:29 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,581 times
Definitely get an alarm. It's a small price to pay for a little extra security. Just don't get a false sense of security and always make sure windows and doors are locked, you have exterior lights on, and a phone handy at all times.

Smith Thompson is a good choice. We've had them for about 5 months. We had one false alarm and they called within 30 seconds.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:10 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
Use Smith Thompson. Don't go near ADT.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:40 AM

122 posts, read 477,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Use Smith Thompson. Don't go near ADT.

I second the recommendation for Smith Thompson. No extra charge for wireless monitoring - just $17/month. If you prepay a year, you get a month free.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:45 AM

258 posts, read 540,810 times
I've sold for alarm companies in the past, most of the home insurance discounts they talk about are exagerrated.

Most insurance companies don't give a 10% discount. Check with your insurance agent.

Should you get an alarm system? Yes. Just find an affordable company, below $25 a month.

In home invasions some unfortunate people are tortured and then sexually assualted for HOURS AND HOURS. If you have a home alarm system, the police will come to your house long before that.

Make sure you put signs around the house and windows letting potential burglar know you have a system.

Oh yes if some people decide to invade your home, don't think your dog or gun will protect you. The only way you can prevent a home invasion with a gun is to have the gun on your hip while your taking a shower, while your on the toilet. When you are carrying groceries in you make sure you have one hand on your gun and one on the groceries.

In other words you would have to ALWAYS have your gun on your hip and be ready to shoot in a few seconds.

Now if you had 2 death grip type dogs, TRAINED to kill and you always have a gun on your hip, that will greatly help. However; if you are super serious about safety I'd have 2 trained death grip dogs, gun on my hip and a fully alarmed system. Also, if your dog becomes sick, you would need to immediate find a replacement, because criminals might be poisioning your dog, so they can enter your home.

The best kind of alarm system would at the very least have all the 1st floor windows and doors monitored. The optimal security is to have an alarm system that monitors ALL doors and windows. When you get home even if it is in the day. Turn the alarm on and lock all doors and windows.. If anyone day or night tries to enter your home the alarm will go off.

Many people who have an alarm system still get attacked, because they simply don't arm their home as often as they should.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:51 AM

322 posts, read 710,131 times
We have 10% discount. Yes, we do. However, now I'm thinking we pay too much! It is $25 a month and $5 more a month for cellular monitoring. 3 year contract. We have ASG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston