Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:18 AM

410 posts, read 1,495,044 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about taking a temporary employment in Galveston. Is there any type of park and ride type of transportation that picks people up from one location in Houston and bring me to a specific location in Galveston???? I don't know anyone in Galveston or travels that long route from Houston everyday but I'm looking for suggestions.

Maybe its not called park and ride but something similar to that concept.....

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 11:47 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
Pretty sure not. There is a park and ride in Clear Lake, but even taking that into Houston is not a trivial task. I have seen small busses in Clear Lake with some kind of "Galveston transit" labeling, but I think them being in Clear Lake was not the norm.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:51 AM

7,540 posts, read 11,572,390 times
Only thing I could think of try to get a ride from a truck driver that goes to galveston in the morning & makes a second trip in the even to take you home

Old 10-14-2010, 12:36 PM

344 posts, read 1,187,123 times
Island Transit runs a shuttle several times a day to Mall of the Mainland in Texas City and that's as close as you get to Houston with anything that runs on a schedule except for the shuttle to/from Hobby airport, but that's $80 round trip.

I did work in downtown Houston with several people who lived on Galveston or one of the other cities in Galveston County several years ago when gasoline was almost $4 a gallon - a couple of them bought diesel VW Beetles, and I know of another guy who drove a Honda Goldwing. I guess 50 MPG made the cost bearable, but that's still a lot of driving.

Last edited by DrLizardo; 10-14-2010 at 12:47 PM..

Old 10-14-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Only thing I could think of try to get a ride from a truck driver that goes to galveston in the morning & makes a second trip in the even to take you home
Ummm......Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not sure that's safe.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:17 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,572,390 times
Next choice would be see if there is a extended stay hotel in Galveston and stay there for a few weeks

Old 10-14-2010, 08:48 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,656,958 times
Isn't it incredibly stupid and ridiculous that there is no public transport between Galveston and Houston? You can ride the Greyhound but it would cost about $40 just for a roundtrip. As I said, stupid and ridiculous. There should at least be a bus between downtown and Galveston.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:37 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,755 times
I used to work near the UTMB complex in Galveston and knew several people who lived in Houston's southern suburbs who HATED driving every day. Also one of my coworkers quit when she got a better job in Houston but had a husband at UTMB and had to commute the other way by personal car and HATED it.

There really seems to be a business case for having at least a mini-bus or van-based if not large busses between the Island and maybe the Clear Lake or Fuqua Park-n-Rides in Houston. Even if there are not that many true daily commuters I'm sure you'd fill the rest of the seats with Houstonites wanting an occasional day trip to party or relax on the beaches on the island.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:57 AM

I found out that there is a vanpool through metro but there is no one going to the specific area I need. There are people that work in Utmb from Houston looking for carpoolers. There are several websites as well for pooling. After doing calculations it wouldn't be a monetary gain for me to do the ride by myself because of the gas cost every week.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:29 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
Isn't it incredibly stupid and ridiculous that there is no public transport between Galveston and Houston? You can ride the Greyhound but it would cost about $40 just for a roundtrip. As I said, stupid and ridiculous. There should at least be a bus between downtown and Galveston.
Greyhound charges $40 because that's what it takes to make such a trip economically feasible. The service exists - people just don't want to pay what it costs. They want someone else to pay for it. Why should the public subsidize a shuttle for a handful of people who want to work in another city? Should we also provide subsidized transport to Huntsville and Beaumont?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston