U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 12:27 PM

10 posts, read 16,250 times

Advertisements

Thanks to anyone who offers their opinion. I know it is a personal choice but would love to here opinions on where to live. We are currently renting in Sugar Land (Telfair) but will be buying in the next 6 months. Our dilemma is I work in Clear lake, Medical Center, and Katy. Sugar Land has been not bad for a commute and we like the city. However, Memorial and West U would be easier commutes. The problem is I like the ability of inner loop to maintain value but my wife doesn't like the congested feel or the smaller/more basic homes. I am hesitant to spend big bucks in Sugar Land. Both areas have great public schools. Considering private but that would also be a commute for my wife back into town (unless we went with Fort Bend Baptist).

Budget would be 500k-800k. Maybe a little more but prefer not.

Thoughts? Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 12:39 PM

8,981 posts, read 15,662,308 times
Western Portions of Memorial (West of Gessner) are very due-able on that budget. It maintains or exceeds maintaining value, with the inner loop does. Homes in the EC have doubled in value over the past ten years.

If you can get into Fonn Villas you have the best schools in the Metro. Eastern portions of 77079 aren't shabby either.

Both areas have generous lots (probably bigger than Sugarland) and a very suburban feel, yet within a mile of sooooo much.

There's a 131 Express bus to downtown on Memorial, that drops you off at the light rail.

West U is great for some, but I would feel others were living on top of me in that price range. HUGE million dollar homes looming over 800k,single story ranches. Both on a postage stamp lot.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. Few available in Fonn villas but need some renovation. Agree about lot size in West U. You can get some nice, luxurious new construction for about 800k, not just the ranches. Just not excited about no backyard!

Old 10-16-2010, 01:24 PM

They are building some brand new ones in 77079 on the high end of your range. Search HAR.Com for them. While they aren't in areas that would be my favorite (interior neighborhood lots) they are new.

Some of the houses on the bigger lots are going to need remodeling, if that doesn't bother you...the world is your oyster in your range.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:51 PM

What is it about the interior lots you dont like? The construction seems nice.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by am350z View Post
What is it about the interior lots you dont like? The construction seems nice.

No, I was saying I like the more interior lots. Most of the newer houses being built are exterior lots in the neighborhood. They can sell them for less that way. Interior lots can be 450k and up. Exterior lots around 250k.

Look at Gaywood and Memorial Glen for INTERIOR lot pricing. $1.2 million. Big difference.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:00 PM

Gotcha, exterior lots ie closer to freeways and main roads.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:13 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,791,527 times
Personally, I love West U, but that's just me.
With your commute needs and choices listed, I'd rather do West U or Bellaire. From those 2, Med ctr is easy, Katy can be really easy too if you are situated close to Westpark Toll way (No traffic going out of the city), and you can hop easily onto 610 to get to Clearlake. Both these cities ahve great public schools. Possibly Afton Oaks (77027) also good choice although you may need to send kids to private.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:54 PM

123 posts, read 229,940 times
We were in the market a couple of years ago and considered far west, southwest, Memorial, and Bellaire/West U. Easily Amused suggestion of the western portion of Memorial is what we decided on. We felt it provided some of the best public schools, a great long term investment, and a lot of flexibility from a commute perspective because I'm driving to clients in a number of business centers around Houston.

We've been very pleased with the schools, the people are great, and the commute to most areas of town is very reasonable. Of course, for $500K you get a fixer-upper but there is a lot you can do to a house if you've got a decent remodel budget.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:45 PM

We will look into west memorial. Only problem with 500k fixers is we don't have a ton of cash for remodeling and I am sure home improvement loans are hard to get these days withOut any equity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston