Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 03:24 PM

69 posts, read 303,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
The installer will offer 5 years warranty through them and I understand they get their money back from the HuperOptik. But so far I have no issues and the film works as designed. Best money spent to be honest. So much better than the screens that I used to have in my older house.
Does the room turn darker than before? I am wondering if I want to put tint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 01:38 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,760,052 times
Very slightly. Hard to tell the difference. I am very happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truelies View Post
Does the room turn darker than before? I am wondering if I want to put tint.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 841 times
I think it's just personal preference. Solar screens do stop the heat before the heat hits your windows. Tint filters the light. The image above shows just a huge screen covering the windows. Solar screens can be customized to follow the exact design on your windows. As you can tell I do favor screens. I love the savings and the privacy. I purchased mine from Advanced Solar Screens (Houston Area / RGV Area) in Baytown.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:25 AM

3 posts, read 716 times
Solar Screens are hands down the best choice. Solar film only addresses radiant heat while solar screens address all three forms of heat transfer (radiant, conductive, and convective heat). There is no doubt that DIY solar screens often look like a DIY project. On the flip side, professionally done, high quality solar screens are very attractive, very efficient, very affordable, and DO NOT effect the view. Often, professionally done solar screens are half the cost of professionally done window tint AND address the conductive heat as well as the convective heat, making them more efficient. Lastly, and perhaps the biggest consideration, is that quality window film can (and will) cause double pane windows to crack due to the film being on the inside and rejecting the heat back through the glass, super heating the gas in-between the panes causing it to expand and crack the glass due to the increased pressure. All-in-all, professionally done high quality solar screens are hands down the way to go.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...-personal.html

Old 08-14-2020, 12:27 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,170,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeith77 View Post
Solar Screens are hands down the best choice. Solar film only addresses radiant heat while solar screens address all three forms of heat transfer (radiant, conductive, and convective heat). There is no doubt that DIY solar screens often look like a DIY project. On the flip side, professionally done, high quality solar screens are very attractive, very efficient, very affordable, and DO NOT effect the view. Often, professionally done solar screens are half the cost of professionally done window tint AND address the conductive heat as well as the convective heat, making them more efficient. Lastly, and perhaps the biggest consideration, is that quality window film can (and will) cause double pane windows to crack due to the film being on the inside and rejecting the heat back through the glass, super heating the gas in-between the panes causing it to expand and crack the glass due to the increased pressure. All-in-all, professionally done high quality solar screens are hands down the way to go.

Read more: http:////www.city-data.com/forum/hou...-personal.html
Not quite.

Or as Columbo said...just one more thing...

They are not "hands down" the best choice. No matter the quality of the install or the product, they still look like you have screens on the outside of your windows. They are better than film, nonetheless. Also, film can't be applied to insulated (what you called "double pane") windows, it voids the warranty.

The best choice is a high quality glass. A very strong low-e glass in a well-made modern window reduces all three forms of heat gain. And doesn't change the look of your window or your house, like solar screens do.

If I was retro-fitting an older house, and cost is a factor, I would go with solar screens. Otherwise, you are far better off using a modern product.

My bona fides: I was in the window business for forty years. I sold everything known to man, including thousands of solar screens. I'm retired now, and have no dog in this hunt.

PS: Considering the age of this thread, and it's your first post, me wonders if there is an ulterior motive at work here? Just wondering...

Old 08-14-2020, 04:14 PM

18,039 posts, read 25,052,276 times
Window tint doesn't keep the metal around the window from getting hot
Solar screen does

I installed it on the back of my house (faces West) and it made a huge difference

Old 08-14-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Window tint doesn't keep the metal around the window from getting hot
Solar screen does

I installed it on the back of my house (faces West) and it made a huge difference
No decent window sold in the last twenty years has metal frames. We dropped alum and went 100% vinyl in 2001, and we supplied 30% of the windows to the builder/remodeler market.

Again, as I said, solar screens are a great option for older windows. Window tint is only an option for very old, single-pane windows where you don't care how bad they look . But it works!

Old 08-19-2020, 08:25 AM

3 posts, read 716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Not quite.

Or as Columbo said...just one more thing...

They are not "hands down" the best choice. No matter the quality of the install or the product, they still look like you have screens on the outside of your windows. They are better than film, nonetheless. Also, film can't be applied to insulated (what you called "double pane") windows, it voids the warranty.

The best choice is a high quality glass. A very strong low-e glass in a well-made modern window reduces all three forms of heat gain. And doesn't change the look of your window or your house, like solar screens do.

If I was retro-fitting an older house, and cost is a factor, I would go with solar screens. Otherwise, you are far better off using a modern product.

My bona fides: I was in the window business for forty years. I sold everything known to man, including thousands of solar screens. I'm retired now, and have no dog in this hunt.

PS: Considering the age of this thread, and it's your first post, me wonders if there is an ulterior motive at work here? Just wondering...
Why do you wonder because it's my first post? Are you the post police? Solar screens are the exact same today as they were 25 years ago so what difference does it make that this post is 10 years old. The content of this post is still just as accurate (or inaccurate) now as it was then. Sounds like like the bulk of your experience/time was spent selling windows, not coverings. That would explain your apparent bias. The far majority of folks who are considering screens or film have older windows and are not interested in taking a second mortgage to replace the windows. Although new vinyl frame double pane low E argon filled windows are extremely efficient compared to their predecessors, they are still the main source of heat gain into a home. Our respective fields of experience are obviously on separate sides of the industry. You sold windows to customers that you never saw again. I then was called on to make those windows more efficient to resolve the heat gain issues they are experiencing when they call me.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeith77 View Post
I then was called on to make those windows more efficient to resolve the heat gain issues they are experiencing when they call me.
Thanks for answering my question.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:59 AM

3 posts, read 716 times
No problem. Glad I could help clarify it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston