Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:30 AM

635 posts, read 1,704,642 times

Advertisements

I bought a house two years ago and I am planning on leasing it out at the end of this year. Since the rates are pretty low right now, I want to get into another place but I am not sure if the bank will allow it.

This is all new to me, so I was wondering if a bank will allow me to get a second mortgage as long as I have a year contract with a tenant on my first house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 11:52 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,173,790 times
Yes. Why do you ask? I've owned three mortgaged rental properties with one-year leases and a mortgage on my primary residence.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:05 PM

Thanks Ronnie for quick response. Like I said, I am new to this and I am planning on investing on more real estate.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:36 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
Your debt to income ratio needs to show you can support both mortgage payments and not go over the cap for the type of loans you have (high would be like 48% - ie for every 1k you make you can not have more than $480 debt servicing including car payments, credit card min payment and the mortgages). You should discuss your options with a mortgage broker before you proceed on any transactions as the rules have gotten way, way stricter since the financial crisis and many things they used to be able to consider they no longer can.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:06 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
To add to your post, chris_ut, many banks want 15% down. Banking rules have been tightened down to prevent another near crash, and banks are required to have more liquid assets on hand, I think. Also, a lot of the big banks just aren't lending even with 800 FICO scores and large down payments. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Your debt to income ratio needs to show you can support both mortgage payments and not go over the cap for the type of loans you have (high would be like 48% - ie for every 1k you make you can not have more than $480 debt servicing including car payments, credit card min payment and the mortgages). You should discuss your options with a mortgage broker before you proceed on any transactions as the rules have gotten way, way stricter since the financial crisis and many things they used to be able to consider they no longer can.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:23 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emirate25 View Post
I bought a house two years ago and I am planning on leasing it out at the end of this year. Since the rates are pretty low right now, I want to get into another place but I am not sure if the bank will allow it.

This is all new to me, so I was wondering if a bank will allow me to get a second mortgage as long as I have a year contract with a tenant on my first house?
We were able to have two mortgages at the same time, and we weren't renting either of them out. But we didn't have any other debt.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:24 PM

Now, am I able to get a second mortgage at a low interest rate if I have good credit or will the bank as for a huge downpayment, with a higher interest rate?

Old 10-19-2010, 07:14 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
Banks usually require 25% down payment for an investment property or second home. The low down payments on first homes are subsidized by the govt. to encourage home ownership.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:49 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times
Go for broke and get 3 mortgages. Lots a variables here bra.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:29 AM

834 posts, read 2,684,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emirate25 View Post

We currently have 2 mortgages, I'm paying both (other house is not occupied). It's very important that you have a good source of assets - Savings account, investments, etc that you can prove you have the cash. Excellent credit is very important as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: