Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 04:49 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,603,039 times

Advertisements

We still have Directv. Our contract expires in 5 weeks. Ijust wanted to get some true comparisons from customers who have had both. We are going to stay with Directv. Yall have given some awesome and detailed feedback. Thanks for everything. Keep posting in the thread if you want to. I enjoy reading about everybodies actual experiences with both companies. Over these past 2 years Directv has been great. Yalls feedback is way more honest and better than any salesperson working for the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 08:12 AM

257 posts, read 986,644 times
I have had direct tv since the the day it started, when you had one box and installed it yourself.I now haVE 8 DVRS AND BEEN HAPPY EVER SINCE.THEY STILL HAVE THE ONLY SERVICE WITH THE NFL TICKET .I COULD SWITCH and have seen uverse in action at a friends home, but dont see any advantages in doing so,

Old 10-22-2010, 06:41 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,522,415 times
How many HDTVs do you have? Most people only get 2 HD streams at once with U-Verse. That means if you want to record 2 HD shows that are on at the same time, you can forget about watching a different show in HD. Or if other people in your house want to watch HDTV at the same time, it can be very limiting. Other than that I think U-Verse is an excellent service, ours has been rock solid reliable too.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:07 PM

257 posts, read 986,644 times
I have 6 dvrs in the main house set up through direct tvs swim system .The other two are located in other buildings by themselves.I have always had great service with direct tv.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:06 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
How many HDTVs do you have? Most people only get 2 HD streams at once with U-Verse. That means if you want to record 2 HD shows that are on at the same time, you can forget about watching a different show in HD. Or if other people in your house want to watch HDTV at the same time, it can be very limiting. Other than that I think U-Verse is an excellent service, ours has been rock solid reliable too.
Most people don't realize this. If you are just one person, that's probably ok. But even with just two, it can be a problem. We pretty much only watch HD, and between my wife & I, it's not unusual to be watching/recording 3-4 HD shows at once (on our TiVos). Uverse would kill us.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:12 AM

239 posts, read 639,026 times
U-Verse has been quietly rolling out the ability for users to record 3 HD streams at once.

Most people don't even know that they have it until it just works one day out of the blue, most often after they have done a reboot of their DVR.

Also, many other people are now able to record 2 HD shows and watch a third show in HD on a second non-DVR TV in the house.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,282 times
We had Direct for awhile and had problems with wind and heavy rain. They wouldn't let us subscribe to HD service for some reason...would say why. Switched to AT&T U-Verse and have more problems. We have to be-boot, or re set, very often. Then equipment goes bad and we do without service until new equipment is sent. This morning everything worked fine. This afternoon the sound went out. Tech couldn't fix it. Then he said it was a bad remote control. They just sent us a new one when the last went out, then he said it must be the "Box" and they would send another. Might get it next week.....no sound until then.

If you are happy with youe present service stay with them.
Pissssssed!

Old 11-01-2010, 09:00 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,603,039 times
Has anyone heard of the bundling of DirecTV with the AT&T high speed internet? Heard a rumor about this and I want to know if this is true.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:41 AM

249 posts, read 561,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
This is not true anymore. Most of Houston has now been rolled out to 3HD, and most of inner loop can now get 4HD (which I have). You might have to call and request to have your profile upgraded. Still limited to 4 streams total (and 3DVR streams total).

We switched to Uverse a while back from Comcast, and Uverse has been a million times better. More channels, cheaper, fewer outages, faster internet, and WAY WAY WAY better customer support.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:51 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,522,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstaffor View Post
This is not true anymore. Most of Houston has now been rolled out to 3HD, and most of inner loop can now get 4HD (which I have). You might have to call and request to have your profile upgraded. Still limited to 4 streams total (and 3DVR streams total).

We switched to Uverse a while back from Comcast, and Uverse has been a million times better. More channels, cheaper, fewer outages, faster internet, and WAY WAY WAY better customer support.
That's interesting. I checked my receiver and I'm still on the 2SD/2HD profile. I'm FTTP though, so maybe they've only rolled it out to FTTN customers. Are you FTTP or FTTN?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston