Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 06:52 AM

543 posts, read 1,386,915 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm so excited to say that I've got a job offer in Houston - Clear Lake area. We will be coming down in couple weeks. We will have relocation assitance from the company.
I know that moving is not easy, especially when all of our family are still in Minnesota and that we don't have any friends or relatives down in Houston. However, we decided to embrace our Houston experience, coming with an open heart and open mind. We hope to make a Houston new home. With that, I'm wondering if you can give us some tips regarding:
-What's the best place and best way to make new friends here? Please don't tell me to go to the bar and hang out at night. I'm a mother with 2 young children. I'm mostly interested in being social, friendship, education, nature, things to do with kids and anything that will benefit my children.
- We have temporary housing at the beginning but I'm planning to rent for a year before buying. Our work zip code will be 77058. I have looked at Har.com and found some interesting houses. Do I just contact the realtor directly? Does apartment locator service also help me if I wanted to rent a single family home?
- What are are things that I have to take care of after moving? Are there a check list out there that I should be doing after moving down. My company will move our belongings and we will be flying down.

So.... a lot of things to take care of but in the mean while, 'Hello y'all'
This forum has been so helpful to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 07:41 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Check on posts by CityLove and check her contact info - she's a realtor that works in that area. What she wil do is pull up all of the rental house that match and send them to you and you will go from there. If you work with just one realtor in that manner, you will not be pushed toward whatever the house is that the listing agent has listed. In other words, CityLove will be interested in the best one, not a particular one.

Congratulations and welcome to Houston!

Old 10-26-2010, 08:32 AM

543 posts, read 1,386,915 times
Thanks cheryjohns for the recommendation regarding CityLove. Does real estate agent also works with apartment renting as well. I think we prefer single family house b/c we never rented before but wanted to check out couple apartments to give us a feel for the convenience that it might offer. Or do I have to go through 2 different perons: one for SFH and another one to check out apartment.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:12 AM

469 posts, read 1,100,889 times
Find a Mom's group online. That was the quickest way we found friends that had similar interest as us.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:29 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
Volunteer for something that interests you. That is a good way to meet good QUALITY people. I hate bars. volunteerhouston.org meetup.com

I live in 77058. If you want some advice about apts in this area let me know. Most are nice, but there are a few complexes to avoid.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:42 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,445,897 times
We've met some really good people through our kids sports. Our two oldest play hockey and soccer, and most of the people we get together with we met through there.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:08 PM

430 posts, read 1,256,720 times
Welcome to Texas, the state where children wear flip flots and wipe off sweat when trick or treating! Best advice I can give you is to leave the snow blower, tire chains, and snow boots at home.

Regarding your question about meeting people, if your children are of school age, volunteer at their school and get involved in your community events -- you will meet a lot of people that way! Good luck with your move!

Old 10-26-2010, 01:40 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNCold View Post
Thanks cheryjohns for the recommendation regarding CityLove. Does real estate agent also works with apartment renting as well. I think we prefer single family house b/c we never rented before but wanted to check out couple apartments to give us a feel for the convenience that it might offer. Or do I have to go through 2 different perons: one for SFH and another one to check out apartment.
No, she can do both. It's easier for the apartments but it's nicer for you and the kids with a house.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:30 PM

225 posts, read 597,366 times
Yay, how exciting!! I hope you love it!

I'm also a mom who moved here (League City first, then Friendswood) a couple years ago. I found friends on Yahoo Groups (search for Clear Lake Moms), as well as Meetup, and church.

Heck, I'm always up for a playdate; PM me if you want to meet up at a local park. I can also give you specific links to the online groups I've found helpful.

You won't have trouble, though. There are TONS and TONS of activities for kids around here. You'll have 4 or 5 libraries within a fifteen-minute drive (all with story times), neighborhood activities in the many parks, museums 30 minutes away, shopping ... it's great fun.

Congrats!

Old 10-27-2010, 11:50 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
No, she can do both. It's easier for the apartments but it's nicer for you and the kids with a house.
That would be a lot. Wouldn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: