Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 07:55 PM

109 posts, read 581,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonmather0 View Post
Here is a more coherent version of the original email. I received this yesterday afternoon. I think the point about leaning on the city about the RE-zoning of the plat in question is astute (although I am too busy right now to go see if that is actually the case or if it's always been planned that way).

Feel free to tell me again if I am misreading this one...
There seems to a bit of misinformation going around. First of all, the statement that "2007 Bond issue for FBISD secured monies" makes it seem as though there's millions of dollars sitting in an account somewhere waiting to be spent. FBISD would still need to sell bonds in order to finance these acquisitions and all tax payers in the district would need to pay the bonds back with interest. I don't know if residents understand that selling bonds = higher tax rate. Also, a new high school is estimated to cost $100M to build.

There is no request to rezone or replat the 65-acres set aside for the high school at this time. These residents are trying to get the City to help them block all future developments in Telfair until they get a favorable resolution. Last week, they packed City Hall to ask the Planning & Zoning Commission to deny or delay the permanent zoning for the 58-acre plat just south of the proposed school site, even though it was made clear to the group leaders that FBISD requires a minimum of 65 acres for a high school site. The residents' presumption is that this land could be an alternate site for a high school. However, how many residents on the other side of the lake that runs along the 58-acre plat would be happy about having a great view of a high school, not to mention the noise and light pollution from being in such close proximity?

Tonight, a few of them showed up to the City Council meeting trying to do the same for the 15.93 acres along Hwy. 6 and University...which is the planned site of the NEW H.E.B. STORE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 07:58 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiMBA View Post
Also, a new high school is estimated to cost $100M to build.
I'm not in the construction industry, but this seems crazy high to me.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:20 PM

109 posts, read 581,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Especially in these economic times! The $100M estimate actually comes from a FBISD BOT member. Seven Lakes H.S. cost a total of $77.4M in 2003, but according to this article, KISD's high school #7 is estimated to cost a whopping $137M ($115.6M for construction) when all is said and done:

Katy ISD wrestles with cost of new high school | Ultimate Katy

Old 11-02-2010, 10:06 PM

99 posts, read 367,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiMBA View Post
There seems to a bit of misinformation going around. First of all, the statement that "2007 Bond issue for FBISD secured monies" makes it seem as though there's millions of dollars sitting in an account somewhere waiting to be spent. FBISD would still need to sell bonds in order to finance these acquisitions and all tax payers in the district would need to pay the bonds back with interest. I don't know if residents understand that selling bonds = higher tax rate. Also, a new high school is estimated to cost $100M to build.

There is no request to rezone or replat the 65-acres set aside for the high school at this time. These residents are trying to get the City to help them block all future developments in Telfair until they get a favorable resolution. Last week, they packed City Hall to ask the Planning & Zoning Commission to deny or delay the permanent zoning for the 58-acre plat just south of the proposed school site, even though it was made clear to the group leaders that FBISD requires a minimum of 65 acres for a high school site. The residents' presumption is that this land could be an alternate site for a high school. However, how many residents on the other side of the lake that runs along the 58-acre plat would be happy about having a great view of a high school, not to mention the noise and light pollution from being in such close proximity?

Tonight, a few of them showed up to the City Council meeting trying to do the same for the 15.93 acres along Hwy. 6 and University...which is the planned site of the NEW H.E.B. STORE.
My wife was there tonight and was somewhat chagrined when she found out that the conversation was about HEB (although we're quite excited about that...)

That said, the point of the residents' agitation isn't that they want to reserve that plat of land for the school - it's that they want other development slowed down until the school situation is resolved. I think hammering on the city council to resolve a dispute between two other parties is a convoluted plan, personally, but a lot of people are fired up and using all of their options.

I am sympathetic to Newland's position that FBISD is the party at fault. They committed to buy the land and then have dragged their feet for a couple years now and Newland needs to find a clear path forward.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:58 AM

279 posts, read 724,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Ridge Point High School cost an estimated $65 million, so yeah, $100 million would include gold-plated urinals.

Construction costs for Gulf Coast region high schools have averaged about $165/sqft.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,842 times
Default Here's some thing to ponder on

ok, here is the story

Sometime in 2006, Mr. NC called Mr. FB and the following conversation took place

NC: Hey, Mr. FB we Californians have no idea about Fort Bend and want to make money for ourselves and while at it, for you too. What's your advice

FB: We have a piece of land, which will sell like hot cakes, as it is the last part of Sugar Land. Just offer them nice schools, parks and they will come running.

NC: Ok, but others are offering the same, how can we be different.

FB: Yeah, but you offer more, more schools, more parks, Museum and the whole 9 yards, see the response

NC: That is all good but if I give out these, where do I make money

FB: BY GOLLY, do you want me to spell it out for you. I said offer and propose, do not build

NC: I catch your drift now buddy.

FB: Offer them 1 Elementary, 1 Middle and 1 High School

NC: Are you out of your mind, that is a lot of space

FB: Buddy, our ISD has been throwing out demands/requests for new schools all year round. We mostly focus on the real Sugar Land, that is Sienna and First Colony and anything that my friend Mr. JD builds.

NC: Oh Ok. So lets sit down and work out a plan where it is a win win for both of us

FB: Look, plan to make an elementary for them and put another school right next to the airport.

NC: WHAT!!! Next to the airport

FB: Right, You know and I know, no airport will allow any ISD to build a school right next to the airport and even if that happens, I know some folks at the FAA, who will get us a certificate of 'NO GO' for the school.

NC: Yeah, but what will I do with that land then.

FB: Whatever you like, HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

NC: I GET IT, HAHAHAHAHAHAH
But don't you think the people will catch this one

FB: By the time, they get to you, you would have used up or rezoned all the other land, so you can't even switch.

NC: (Laughing out loudly), I think we gonna make real money here. But how will you get out of this one

FB: Well, you are the one proposing, they wont come to us till the last minute, and we probably be budget constrained by then and could use any of the excuses. We will NOT BE OBLIGED to fulfill any promises that you made, as you never consulted us for the proposal, right.

NC: Oh yeah, we never had this conversation.

FB: There you go, you are a first learner, even for a Californian. Now I cannot sell you the land, if I don't know what you are willing to do, to make me sell this land, it is difficult to move forward. You need to oil the ball to get it rolling, if you know what I mean

NC: I think I know just the right thing to make that ball rolling. I will be there next week, how about we meet and see what can we do to make you a happy man.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:47 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,463 times
Any updates on this issue? I see news about HEB development but the school story just faded out.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:46 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Any updates on this issue? I see news about HEB development but the school story just faded out.
There is to be some rezoning that will relieve Cornerstone and Kempner, to hold them a few more years at least. You can see the most recent proposed maps on FBISD's website in the zoning section. So I would be really surprised if FBISD plans to build any school in Telfair for several years, especially with the current state budget problems.

I haven't heard but I wonder what they're going to do about Oakland Elem... it's going to be severely over-capacity within a few years, and I've heard no immediate plans for relief (no timeline given for the building of elementary #46.)

Old 01-28-2011, 11:08 AM

7 posts, read 13,797 times
Default Rezoning hearings scheduled by FBISD

Link to latest FBISD presentation on rezoning

http://www.fortbend.k12.tx.us/about/...rkshop%206.pdf

Looks like Cornerstone will be relieved of ~300 kids to Lakeview and Oyster creek

They also have a proposed rezoning more than 300 kids from Clements to Elkins High

It appears these proposals are approved by FBISD and they have scheduled 3 hearings on Feb 3, 9 and 10th at the high schools.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:11 PM

234 posts, read 681,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
With the state budget's cuts on education, HEB is indeed more important than any school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston