U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-27-2010, 04:13 PM

7,741 posts, read 18,451,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I would stem to guess that it's not "illegal" given that I have seen signs that explicitly say NO Right Turn On Red (being 2 lanes or not). THere's one of these signs down the street from me. The right lane is turn only, the middle lane is right turn or straight. I have also seen signs that specifically say Right On Red From Right Lane Only. There is a sign like this in downtown right near Minute Maid Park. If it were illegal, then there not be these particular signs.
Similar situation, Clear Lake City Blvd west, turning north onto I-45 has one right-turn only and one that is marked either right-turn or straight. Nearly everyone turns right on red from both lanes. During the morning rush *most* people stay out of that dual-use lane if they're going straight. The cops are not giving tickets for this and there are no signs. As far as I'm concerned it was designed to move traffic off the street ASAP and there's nothing dangerous about it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 04:23 PM

21,602 posts, read 23,736,558 times
Exactly! If is considered safe to turn right on red for the first lane, then why would be not safe to turn right from the second ( designed to turn right) lane??

Old 10-27-2010, 04:26 PM

201 posts, read 299,982 times
Turning right on red from any lane other than the rightmost lane is 100% illegal. Whether people do it "all the time" or not doesn't change that.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:27 PM

And where is the rule?? And for what reason is the second lane marked to turn right if you cannot turn right from there?

Old 10-27-2010, 04:29 PM

3,644 posts, read 3,658,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Similar situation, Clear Lake City Blvd west, turning north onto I-45 has one right-turn only and one that is marked either right-turn or straight. Nearly everyone turns right on red from both lanes. During the morning rush *most* people stay out of that dual-use lane if they're going straight. The cops are not giving tickets for this and there are no signs. As far as I'm concerned it was designed to move traffic off the street ASAP and there's nothing dangerous about it.
Well, like a previous poster said, the guy in the rightmost lane can't see if it is clear to go if someone in the middle lane has pulled out in preparation to turn. All he can do is go at the same time the other guy goes with the assumption that if it is safe for the middle lane guy to go then it is also safe for him to go.
The main reason it is illegal in Florida (Miami specifically) is that people nefver turn into the correct lane. If two lanes are turing right, even on a green light, peopel often turn in to the wrong lane and end up cutting off the other driver. As a result, we have very few lanes like this but they seem to be more common here.
If I ever see a cop I'll ask them but cops are also super rare in this city. I actually counted and saw less than 30 police cars in my first month here. Normall I'd see six to seven times that number in Miami, given the same number of miles driven.
Oh, thanks for the responese, even though we don't have a definate answer.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:34 PM

99 posts, read 236,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Exactly! If is considered safe to turn right on red for the first lane, then why would be not safe to turn right from the second ( designed to turn right) lane??
Because you're turning across two lanes of oncoming traffic AND having to keep an eye on the person in the right lane who is also turning... not to mention that the guy entering the intersection in front of you could also be making a left turn into exactly the same spot that you're turning into and it's even harder to see him if you're worried about oncoming traffic from your left.

So now you have to pay attention to three different danger zones in opposite directions all around your vehicle.

That said, it's even more dangerous for the guy in the right lane because now you're blocking his view and not paying attention to him, either.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:36 PM

99 posts, read 236,898 times
Quote:
And where is the rule?? And for what reason is the second lane marked to turn right if you cannot turn right from there?
Because it's a red light. You're free to turn right on the green light.

Put it another way: why not just roll on straight through the intersection on a red light if those lanes are marked to go straight anyway? That's the exact question you're asking.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonmather0 View Post
Because it's a red light. You're free to turn right on the green light.

Put it another way: why not just roll on straight through the intersection on a red light if those lanes are marked to go straight anyway? That's the exact question you're asking.
Exactly. Great point.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:53 PM

ok, then what the driver on the second designated for right turn lane is supposed to do?

Old 10-27-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
ok, then what the driver on the second designated for right turn lane is supposed to do?
Wait for the green light, obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston