Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 05:02 AM

4 posts, read 7,181 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

Yes, I know this is bucking the larger trend, but we are willing to trade a little of our security and schooling for a more vibrant area. We would like to consider moving from Katy to closer to in-town Houston (inside 610).

The primary area we are considering is the museum district and Rice village (between Kirby and Montrose). Boulevard Oaks would be the ideal area, but it will be harder to find a home we can afford. We are willing to consider various types of housing.

I would love to hear from those people who may be living there that specifically have children going to Poe/Lanier/Lamar schools. What is the area like for kids? Are there enough activities? Are there enough children in the area? Do kids play outside together, in parks, etc?

I realize these are fairly simple-sounding questions, but these are the sorts of things that Google searches don't tell us. While we spend a lot of time in that area and see 'signs' of kids, it would be great to learn from those who live there. We have an 8-year old son and its only the change to his environment that we are concerned about. We don't mind a little 'grit in our coffee' as adults.

PS....If you're happy in the suburbs, that's wonderful. I'm not trying to start a debate. I would really prefer to hear from those folks who live in that area. If anyone is up for it, I would love to perhaps trade emails outside of here to get to know the area better.

Thanks!

M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 08:38 AM

48 posts, read 138,338 times
I'd maybe check out a little north of there - the museum district, the parts of Montrose around the Menil, and across Westheimer into Cherryhurst. There are plenty of kids around at the parks. I'm sure that Rice Village and West U area family friendly as well (probably even moreso), but I don't know that area that well.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:34 AM

70 posts, read 120,490 times
My son Josh went to Lamar - don't move there, you won't be just trading security, you will be trading peace of mind. Montrose is artsy and alternative, the Heights has some pockets of family friendly areas, but if you want to get into a safer district you will pay for it. Rice Village, Tanglewood, Memorial, and River Oaks. You could look a bit further out and go to Bellaire - the schools there are really good. More of an Asian community there if that matters to you. Just my two cents from a few years ago. My son is now in College- but the info is still the same. BTW we did the opposite of what you are doing. We left that area to move to Katy - we love it.

Angel

Old 11-02-2010, 09:36 AM

2,540 posts, read 4,032,272 times
I disagree. In my experience, the kids in the Montrose/Cherryhurst neighhorhood are mostly small. Parents seem to flee their wee bungalows as the kids get bigger. If I had more money and were moving to that part of town I would look in the areas right around Rice University and Med Center, esp. zoned to Roberts. Roberts is such a good school that the neighborhood really attracts families with kids. As does West U, of course, but then that's West U.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:47 AM

4 posts, read 7,181 times
Angel, I'm glad you're enjoying Katy. Katy has been fine for us, but our first venture in full blown suburban life has shown us it isn't for us.

Yes, I'm finding that perhaps the Pershing/Pin Oak/Bellaire option might be good for us. Lanier and Lamar are both rated quite well, though, but they seem to get mixed reviews.

Schools aside, I'm more concerned with the environment AFTER school. What the 'kid' lifestyle is like in the museum district and Rice/West U.

Thanks all

Old 11-02-2010, 10:18 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,527,463 times
Condit is the weakest school in the Bellaire elementary path. It's far stronger than 90 percent of KISD and FBISD elementary schools.

That alone should tell you all you need to know.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:38 PM

124 posts, read 699,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msheppard13 View Post
Howdy,

Yes, I know this is bucking the larger trend, but we are willing to trade a little of our security and schooling for a more vibrant area. We would like to consider moving from Katy to closer to in-town Houston (inside 610).

The primary area we are considering is the museum district and Rice village (between Kirby and Montrose). Boulevard Oaks would be the ideal area, but it will be harder to find a home we can afford. We are willing to consider various types of housing.

I would love to hear from those people who may be living there that specifically have children going to Poe/Lanier/Lamar schools. What is the area like for kids? Are there enough activities? Are there enough children in the area? Do kids play outside together, in parks, etc?

I realize these are fairly simple-sounding questions, but these are the sorts of things that Google searches don't tell us. While we spend a lot of time in that area and see 'signs' of kids, it would be great to learn from those who live there. We have an 8-year old son and its only the change to his environment that we are concerned about. We don't mind a little 'grit in our coffee' as adults.

PS....If you're happy in the suburbs, that's wonderful. I'm not trying to start a debate. I would really prefer to hear from those folks who live in that area. If anyone is up for it, I would love to perhaps trade emails outside of here to get to know the area better.

Thanks!

M

I totally feel what you're going through. I liked Katy when I first relocated here 5 years ago. However, I find myself in Houston or in Sugar Land about 95% of the time. At first I was going to relocate back to the northeastern part of the USA, but now I'm going to be here for an additional 5-10 years. I'm looking to move out of Katy as well. I realized that Katy and the suburbs are just not for me. However, I do like Sugar Land.

Good Luck on your search!

Last edited by Rose31; 11-02-2010 at 03:48 PM..

Old 11-02-2010, 08:19 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,795,453 times
I have a coworker with a child at Lanier. She raves about the quality of the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston