U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-02-2010, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,291 times
Default Ignorant question of Harris County Appraisal District Business Property Tax

Four years ago, I signed a 5-year business lease. Before moving in, due to the economy, I had to close down the company. To keep up my credit, I still make payment on the lease. I am using it as my personal storage. I don't even have signs....
I just received a penalty waiver request from Harris County Appraisal District for business personal property.
Sorry to sound to dumb but what is this? How do I fight this if possible?
Thanks for your help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 10:08 AM

3,554 posts, read 7,205,257 times
You might want to get with a cpa.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:42 AM

3,666 posts, read 3,065,722 times
If you any documentation that the business is kaput, file a protest. They will not charge you the taxes.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:15 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaroxio View Post
Four years ago, I signed a 5-year business lease. Before moving in, due to the economy, I had to close down the company. To keep up my credit, I still make payment on the lease. I am using it as my personal storage. I don't even have signs....
I just received a penalty waiver request from Harris County Appraisal District for business personal property.
Sorry to sound to dumb but what is this? How do I fight this if possible?
Thanks for your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
If you any documentation that the business is kaput, file a protest. They will not charge you the taxes.
This has nothing to do with a business being kaput. "Business Personal Property" is all the physical goods your company owns. Such as computers, desks, phone systems, etc. It can also include inventory. It does not include vehicles, nor the actual real property (land & buildings). If your business has none of this (goods), you simply need to file a report that states this. Then you will owe no BPP taxes.

Even bankrupt and closed-down businesses owe this. That's why being kaput has no bearing on this. Sending a tax bill for BPP to a kaput business may be like trying to get blood from a stone, but it's still the legal process.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,985 times
Default Even though I did not pay but my property tax is showing Total amount due is Zero dollar

Last year, I tried to take advantage of Loan Modification program, they sent me a letter and approved me for one Sub program of that Loan Modification in which they wanted me to send at least 03 payments of about $1000.00 for 03 months and then they would put me in that program. I sent the first payment at the start of Dec, 2nd on Start of Jan2011 and now 3rd is due on Feb, 2011.( the payment includes my escrows)

But for the 2010, I did not pay the escrow, but surprisingly, my property tax shows nil for 2010. I do see a note on the Property Tax statment there that states " Our record indicate that your statement has been requested by a mortgage company/tax agent"

Does that mean I do not have to pay this Property tax.

Can somebody help me on this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston