Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:52 AM

16 posts, read 49,287 times

Advertisements

I appreciate all the information, the comments are very helpful in my decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 12:21 PM

659 posts, read 1,369,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
Just an FYI for the OP, women care about money EVERYWHERE you go. They may not care for as much but they still care. I love Houston BTW. Just be advised that the women are very traditional down here. I'm an urbanite and all of my recent relationships have ended because the women immediately want to get married, move in together (in the suburbs, which I despise) and start a family. I live in a loft downtown and they see this as a threat for some reason.
'Tis a shame, really. I'm sure there's someone out there for you. I married a native Houstonian that loathes the burbs as well. We've chosen to raise our son ITL!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:38 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,478,320 times
Quote:
Just an FYI for the OP, women care about money EVERYWHERE you go. They may not care for as much but they still care. I love Houston BTW. Just be advised that the women are very traditional down here. I'm an urbanite and all of my recent relationships have ended because the women immediately want to get married, move in together (in the suburbs, which I despise) and start a family. I live in a loft downtown and they see this as a threat for some reason.
lmao! It's true, we're in the bible belt. Don't mean to be cynnical, but whenever I see all the Bud's III and Missy's getting married at 22, I instinctlively want to intervene.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:13 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,638,146 times
However, is the southern hospitality decreasing in Houston? Just asking.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:50 PM

15 posts, read 21,248 times
Houston people are very friendly. However, I must admit--as a native myself--I cuss like a sailor on the freeway. Houston traffice and driving will **** anyone off...seriously.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:08 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,380,207 times
Quote:
There are plenty of traditional women that despise the burbs as well. But they're the kind that want to get married and live in River Oaks, West U. etc. No doubt about it, most Houstonian Ladies like a traditional life.

Downtown Loft= Playa. I don't think they find it a threat, but an obvious sign you aren't in the settling down market. Plenty are, so they move on.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:11 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,083,787 times
i guess ive lived in texas too long but i just dont get the southern hospitality. maybe its my personality, idk, but currently i do a lot of mobile marketing. ive lived in texas all my life (2 hours away from houston and san antonio) but since april have been traveling the southwest region which includes arizona.

ive been in phoenix for the past 3 weeks now, and i really enjoy this city. i actually find phx and houston a little similar because both are sort of sprawled out. i myself think both cities have lots of friendly people, and i just dont get this southern hospitality because IMO the people are just as nice here as they are in texas. this goes for colorado, montana, new mexico and a few other places ive been to.

i get what you mean by snottsdale, haha. i went out this past saturday to a club near my hotel in that area, and nothing but mercedes lined up outside the club. it all depends what areas you go to because in houston, im sure there are upscales areas where people can be standoffish. girls who care only about money are everywhere. i also find traffic to be a little more relaxed in phx, not to say that there arent a ton of cars on the road during rush off; but in houston, youll have to be on your toes a little more, they hate letting anyone change into their lane in front of them, even if youre merging onto traffic, which is dumb.

overall both places are nice, and sort of similar. def better food options though in houston, and a few extra good looking women than phx, but now i'm just starting to get biased. ha. although phx has better access to cooler cities (LA, PHX, and skiiing)

Old 11-09-2010, 02:08 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,402,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGazelle View Post
Houston people are very friendly. However, I must admit--as a native myself--I cuss like a sailor on the freeway. Houston traffice and driving will **** anyone off...seriously.
Don't let it **** you off...learn from it! Build Houston driving skills that will benefit you all over this planet! I am damn proud of my Houston derived driving skills!!!!!!!!..they save me from the clueless drivers, the angst drivers, the blind drivers, the intoxicated drivers and not to mention the **** poor drivers!

Old 11-09-2010, 10:22 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,779,278 times
Often the degree of how people treat you directly correlates with how you present yourself and treat them.

Don't move here without a job in hand.

Too many folks have read somewhere that there is no job losses here and that is wrong.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:44 PM

3,017 posts, read 5,193,090 times
Southern hospitality here is a myth. As others have mentioned, spend enough time on the road here and that same old lady who wished you a "blassed day" at the grocery store would likely be the one cutting you off while honking and cursing you. Granted there are a few genuinely affable Houstonians, but most of the time the politeness you encounter is shallow and tenuous (guess that's better than being rude outright). I do think the transplant influx has contributed in no small part to this phenomenon.

At the risk of offending, Houston women by and large are primarily status-driven, a quality which pretty much cuts across class lines. You might be the hardest working man in town, but without the proper external trappings of material success, you are likely to be overlooked. Combine that with a penchant towards simplicity and social convention and it's no wonder that, say, a successful guy living in a loft downtown can find no shortage of women here who want to "settle down" with him in a place far away from the unconventionality and unpredictability of the city where his material success would be much better suited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston