U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:45 PM

2,784 posts, read 4,232,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adstaples View Post
Hey all,

We recently bought our first home and a couple months later a family built a home next door. Things have been fine up until about a month ago when they got a puppy. When it needs to relieve itself they let it out the front door and it goes in the side yard. Their side yard and ours run together, so of course the dog just goes wherever, our side, theirs..

I have been flinging the poop into their yard with a rake so my kids don't step on it on their way to the side gate or when mowing the grass, etc. But it's starting to become a burden, especially the bigger the dog gets. And bottom line is that it just isn't right that I should have to do it, it's not my dog.

They also smoke cigarettes like it's going out of style, and of course the butts end up in our yard too.

At this point their side yard is filling up with black piles of poop and the smell is terrible, which makes it hard to enjoy being outside.

I don't want to cause a problem with the neighbors, they already seem a little standoff-ish (just stare when we wave hello for example), I know we both might be living here quite a while, I just want it to be as pleasant for everyone as possible. Any suggestions?
As others said, try talking to them. Don't listen to the blowhard responses telling you to fling poo, butts, etc. at the neighbors. The last thing you need is a feud with the people right next door. If they are unresponsive, check with your HOA about being able to build a fence and if you can, put one up. Ultimately, good fences mean good neighbors in a situation like this. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 10:05 PM

912 posts, read 1,679,383 times
Collect all their crap and mail it to them.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:39 PM

231 posts, read 366,243 times
get your gun and aim at the dog next time... just dont shoot... and incase you shoot, please miss !
i had a similar neighbor and i jokingly told him that I like to practice shooting airguns and that his dog makes an interesting target.... never saw the dog taking a dump in my front yard again.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:10 PM

605 posts, read 470,727 times
Talking to them is great in theory, but is typically not effective when there is blatant disregard already. Build the fence, or plant hardy plants.....

Old 11-04-2010, 12:41 AM

60 posts, read 143,840 times
Default As previously recommended....

Sprinkle, nay, pour a rather substantial amount of nice, fresh cayenne pepper powder all around the area and the dog will bother you no more.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:21 AM

31 posts, read 53,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelion_ms3 View Post
i hear chili powder works good as a deterent for dogs to poop in your yard.....i would sprinkle it down the property line and see if that helps keep the dog on THEIR property.... i bet they'll stop letting their dog poop in their own yard when it's time for THEM to cut their grass or walk around their house.....

as far as the cigarette butts,, if you talk to them and they don't "get it"...i would fling the cigarette butts back into their yard.
That's what I thought too, but they have mowed and I guess it doesn't bother them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
...btw, who cuts their dog loose out the front door to take a dump? Don't they have a fenced-in backyard?
They have a fenced in backyard, that they never use, so it would be perfect to let their dog go back there. When they go out in front to smoke they just bring the dog with them and let him run free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Do you have an HOA? Report it to them. They will take care of it. It is amazing how a strongly worded letter from the HOA creates motivation for some of the people in my neighborhood. Otherwise, most counties and cities have health codes that prohibit that sort of thing and you could file a complaint with the local health department. Good Luck!
We have an HOA. But I used to work for one, and can tell you that most homeowner's ignore the letters from their HOA, especially if they are the type that doesn't have pride in their property to begin with. These people have a yard full of weeds, garbage cans in front of their house, etc. But I will most likely try that route anyway. I did find a city ordinance that might cover it, so I'm planning on looking into that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFI View Post
Sprinkle, nay, pour a rather substantial amount of nice, fresh cayenne pepper powder all around the area and the dog will bother you no more.
I will definitely try this first! Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Old 11-04-2010, 08:22 AM

115 posts, read 189,009 times
First make sure that it's your neighbor. Then I would do 2 things...talk to the neighbor and the HOA:

1) Start chatting to the neighbor when they're in the yard in a friendly/joking way, something like "our yard has been over-fertizlized by the dog lately, is it possible to slow him down so our kids don't step on the pooh?...yadi yadi...

2) Contact the HOA about the problem with people letting their dogs poop in other's yard and not picking them up. But don't specifically point out the neighbor.

I have a similar problem with my neighbor months ago. My HOA specifically stated that you can't feed the migrating ducks because they would congregate and poop everywhere. It's a health issue because their poop carry diseases, odor, etc. So I would see duck poop on my driveway and yard everytime I come home from work. I don't know why they would come to my yard so I set up a hidden camera. By golly the next early morning when it's still dark I caught on camera my neighbor sneaking and pouring feeds on my yard! Needless to say I was upset because she has always been a nice neighbor but I sure don't want people blaming me for feeding the ducks! So the next day I talked with her while she was in her front yard and just told her that I don't know why the ducks keep coming on my yard and pooped. She then confessed that she fed them and will never do it again. I also contacted the HOA, without naming anyone, about the feeding problem and they sent out a flyer the next few weeks reminding people not to feed the ducks. Since then, no more duck poops and and everyone is happy.

If the above steps don't work, try step 3) Spray the dog with water the next time he is in position to fertilize.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:34 AM

31 posts, read 53,443 times
I'm positive it's them, from my living room window I can see them come out of their front door (not to mention hear them slam it), and like clockwork, they light up and the dog starts to do it's business. When we are outside they 'try' to make sure the dog stays in their yard, but if they don't see us and don't know we can see them, they just let him go where ever.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:42 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,923,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Do you have an HOA? Report it to them. They will take care of it. It is amazing how a strongly worded letter from the HOA creates motivation for some of the people in my neighborhood. Otherwise, most counties and cities have health codes that prohibit that sort of thing and you could file a complaint with the local health department. Good Luck!
This seems like the most reasonable course of action.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:40 AM

8,980 posts, read 15,655,880 times
People in the neighborhood next to ours printed out the City Ordinance about poop and made it into a yard sign. Apparently they were having issues. It stayed up about 3 months..they didn't make a lot of friends in the process I'm sure.

We don't have poop in our yard, but seeing the poop bags just laying in the street from time to time isn't that great either. Piney Point has Poop Bag and Poop Recepticals throughout the village. It's actually a great idea as most offenders are those walking their dogs without a bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston