Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:56 PM

119 posts, read 502,067 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Houston and we are deciding whether to buy a house in Cinco Ranch or Bridgeland. So, I would like to get everyone's opinion about these two communities. We have two young kids, so schools, amenities, and safety are very important to us. Commuting time is not an issue for us, so pls don't take commuting into considersation.

If you live in Cinco Ranch or Bridgeland, can you tell me what are the Pros and Cons of each place. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 10:45 PM

234 posts, read 678,046 times
Cinco Ranch is a little more established then Bridgeland... Bridgeland is in Cy-Fair school district (please dont quote me on this) but Cyfair school district tried to double its tax rate last year but didnt work. On the flip side, the Katy ISD bond failed to pass too.
Cant help it but think about the commute... I am sorry but it will boil down to where you work. From kids perspective both are equal with slight edge on Cinco.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:53 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,773,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsearchingforahouse View Post
On the flip side, the Katy ISD bond failed to pass too.
I thought the Katy bond issue was passing, narrowly:

Katy voters appear to be backing bond issue | Ultimate Katy

Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 PM

234 posts, read 678,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post

sorry ... i wasnt aware of the latest news... must put that glass of wine down.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:01 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,773,820 times
Quote:
sorry ... i wasnt aware of the latest news... must put that glass of wine down.
Nah, have another...

Old 11-03-2010, 11:04 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,118,069 times
Quote:
Cinco Ranch is a little more established then Bridgeland... Bridgeland is in Cy-Fair school district (please dont quote me on this) but Cyfair school district tried to double its tax rate last year but didnt work. On the flip side, the Katy ISD bond failed to pass too.
Cant help it but think about the commute... I am sorry but it will boil down to where you work. From kids perspective both are equal with slight edge on Cinco.
Cy-Fair tried to ditch the extra school exemption that Cy-Fair residents have but it failed (I attended that meeting - you could tell it wasn't going well). It is pretty lonely with the extra exemption. I can't think of another school district with it. (There is one more, but I do have that glass of wine right now - but I am pretty sure it's not Katy).

Old 11-03-2010, 11:12 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,384,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post

Thanks for the news. (I too didn't stay up late last night)

Thank God! Now who wants to sing the Te Deum?

Old 11-04-2010, 12:25 AM

95 posts, read 321,272 times
Both are great master planned communities with a lot of amenities, activities, and built on the Katy Prairie (i.e. no trees). Both are in great school districts with Cinco Ranch in Katy ISD and Bridgeland in Cy-Fair ISD.

Cinco is definitely more established. It started out in the early 90s while Bridgeland started in 2006.

The developer of Bridgeland, General Growth Properties, did file for bankruptcy about a year and a half ago and the future of the community was somewhat in doubt. However, they are coming out of bankruptcy this month and everything appears to be selling like gangbusters over there.

I think it going to come down to personal preference. Drive around both communities and the surrounding area to get a feel for both. Visit some of the builders in both even if you don't plan to build a house to get their thoughts on both neighborhoods.

FWIW, the "list" price for builder "to be built" houses are usually a bit higher in Cinco Ranch versus Bridgeland.

I actually went to "Howl-O-Ween Fest" at Bridgeland with my wife and 3 young kids this past weekend and had a great time. Here is a quick highlight video from my Flip and edited with iMovie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdaGj6QwToM

Old 11-04-2010, 09:35 AM

119 posts, read 502,067 times
About the schools for Bridgeland, I looked into the GreatSchool website and the ranking is as follows:

Warner Elementary is 10
Smith Middle School is 7
Ry-Ranch High School is 10

Seems strange to me that the elementary and high school are ranked 10 but the middle school is ranked 7. If you have kids that go to Smith middle school, pls let me know what you think of this school. Thanks.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:36 AM

659 posts, read 1,370,047 times
Unless one works in Austin I don't know they would choose Bridgeland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston