U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 11-04-2010, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Baytown
317 posts, read 293,238 times
Reputation: 103
You clearly don't have even the most basic understanding of the issue or how the program works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I'm not sure what the big issue is having them. If you don't run a red light, then you don't have a problem.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-04-2010, 08:26 PM
 
1,127 posts, read 1,649,403 times
Reputation: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by baytownb View Post
You clearly don't have even the most basic understanding of the issue or how the program works.
Please, explain to those of us who don't run lights why we should be glad this program is ending. I'm curious.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2010, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Baytown
317 posts, read 293,238 times
Reputation: 103
Thanks for asking, first of all I was addressing the ignorant position that if you don't run a red light you don't have anything to worry about. That has been dismissed over and over again. The cameras ticket innocent drivers every day. That is their purpose, to cast a wide net and get as much money as possible. What red light did the owner of a vehicle gets a ticket when someone else was driving?

Like many people that voted to get rid of the cameras I don't run red lights and I am glad the program is ending. Why? Because I don't like accidents, cameras are associated with an increase in accidents. I like my constitutional rights, if I am to be deprived of my property ($75) for running a red light I deserve the opportunity to have due process if I choose to, not a hearing by a city appointed employee. I don't like a city outsourcing law enforcement to a corrupt corporation that lies cheats and steals and set up a fake citizens front group and sued us saying we don't get to vote. I am glad the cameras are gone because now maybe the dangerous red light runners are more likely to get pulled over they are more likely to get taken off the street instead of a $75 optional ticket in the mail with no penalty if they don't pay it. Most of all I am glad that the people were given the opportunity to vote and they decided to bring the cameras down. I am glad that the will of the people should and will be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Please, explain to those of us who don't run lights why we should be glad this program is ending. I'm curious.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2010, 09:13 PM
 
6,409 posts, read 3,398,184 times
Reputation: 3610
Good use for paintball guns...targets of opportunity.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 06:15 AM
 
1,127 posts, read 1,649,403 times
Reputation: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by baytownb View Post
Thanks for asking, first of all I was addressing the ignorant position that if you don't run a red light you don't have anything to worry about. That has been dismissed over and over again. The cameras ticket innocent drivers every day. That is their purpose, to cast a wide net and get as much money as possible. What red light did the owner of a vehicle gets a ticket when someone else was driving?

Like many people that voted to get rid of the cameras I don't run red lights and I am glad the program is ending. Why? Because I don't like accidents, cameras are associated with an increase in accidents. I like my constitutional rights, if I am to be deprived of my property ($75) for running a red light I deserve the opportunity to have due process if I choose to, not a hearing by a city appointed employee. I don't like a city outsourcing law enforcement to a corrupt corporation that lies cheats and steals and set up a fake citizens front group and sued us saying we don't get to vote. I am glad the cameras are gone because now maybe the dangerous red light runners are more likely to get pulled over they are more likely to get taken off the street instead of a $75 optional ticket in the mail with no penalty if they don't pay it. Most of all I am glad that the people were given the opportunity to vote and they decided to bring the cameras down. I am glad that the will of the people should and will be done.
Thanks for your reasons. I remain unconvinced. I wish the program hadn't been voted out.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Baytown
317 posts, read 293,238 times
Reputation: 103
Hey, that's what makes America great, you can hold any opinion you want contrary to any fact or reason. That's what elections are for, we had one and the people decided the cameras are coming down. As a future potential victim of a red light runner I am still glad the cameras are coming down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Thanks for your reasons. I remain unconvinced. I wish the program hadn't been voted out.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 07:29 PM
 
1,127 posts, read 1,649,403 times
Reputation: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by baytownb View Post
Hey, that's what makes America great, you can hold any opinion you want contrary to any fact or reason. That's what elections are for, we had one and the people decided the cameras are coming down. As a future potential victim of a red light runner I am still glad the cameras are coming down.
Well now, I appreciate the positive dialogue, but I must take exception to "contrary to any fact or reason." I have plenty of facts and reasons. Just because they're not yours, doesn't mean they don't exist. A little respect, please.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
6,408 posts, read 9,362,337 times
Reputation: 3754
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Thanks for your reasons. I remain unconvinced. I wish the program hadn't been voted out.
I'm with you on this one!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Baytown
317 posts, read 293,238 times
Reputation: 103
That's OK, I took exception to your implication that I must be a red light runner since I am against the cameras, I didn't see that as very respectful. But seriously, it's over, the people didn't buy the "safety" argument, they saw the program for the scam it was. The cameras were tested in the court of public opinion at the ballot and they lost, just like all other 14 times people have gotten to vote on photoenforcement. Now hopefully the state will take up a statewide ban next leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Well now, I appreciate the positive dialogue, but I must take exception to "contrary to any fact or reason." I have plenty of facts and reasons. Just because they're not yours, doesn't mean they don't exist. A little respect, please.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2010, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Texas
1,693 posts, read 1,054,724 times
Reputation: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmalone4 View Post
We're supposed to stop at red lights. It's good for your health and the health of others.
I don't think anyone here is debating that issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingster View Post
Cameras are good! Cameras are put in ATMs and banks for a reason!
Except when you rob someone at an ATM, a private company doesn't send 20 people who look somewhat like you a letter requiring you to send them money.

When a vehicle runs a red light, they send the registered owner a ticket. So that could be the vehicle you just sold, a mechanic taking it on a test drive after a repair, a valet, a friend, a co-worker, a family member, etc.

When I speed, the cop doesn't pull me over and give my back seat passenger a ticket for my speeding, I don't believe tickets for Red light running should be ANY different.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top