Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 01:33 PM

913 posts, read 4,344,612 times

Advertisements

Please give me your opinion if I need to change all roof or just do some fixing.

I have a 13 year old roofing with 30-year shingles. The roof will not last for 20+ (7+ more) years but may be for 2-4 more years. Here is why:
- the roof is stapled and not nailed
- the granules are slowly falling off and some areas (no more than 10%) are practically "bald".
- there is a few minor cracks, no major water damage. But I have found at least one palm-size spot on a ceiling.
- there are 3-5 bad areas (probably 3-5 squares out of 40 squares total) where the OSB decking is bad and shingles are all black.

So, 80% of the roofing is in OK condition. It will probably last for up to 5 more years. 20% is in average to poor condition, but no visible leaks yet.

The price for changing the whole roof is $8000.
The price for fixes here and there is around $2000-$3000.

My insurance policy is new, unless a hail is beating the roof, I wont be able to claim the regular wear and tear. Even if I did, I'd still have to pay 1-2% deductible, which is 3000-6000 off the 8000 bill. So this is not really an option so far.

Question: Would you rather change the whole roof and forget about the issue for the next 15 years? Or you would do some repair now and maybe go back to more repairs 5-10 years down the road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 02:32 PM

460 posts, read 2,427,550 times
I encountered this exact scenario some years ago at a younger age. I opted to do the repairs myself, including replacing bad decking (for far less than $2000-3000). I ended up selling the house before a new roof was needed.

Part of the question, which you didn't specify, is whether you have ready access to the cash for the repair, or whether you have to borrow the money, cash out a CD, withdraw money from your 401k, etc etc etc. I'll assume the money is available now and neither alternative is better or worse from a cash flow standpoint.

So if you're unable to do the repairs yourself, IMHO the relatively small cost difference makes the repairs a bad investment, and I would just replace the roof.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhg566 View Post
I encountered this exact scenario some years ago at a younger age. I opted to do the repairs myself, including replacing bad decking (for far less than $2000-3000). I ended up selling the house before a new roof was needed.

Part of the question, which you didn't specify, is whether you have ready access to the cash for the repair, or whether you have to borrow the money, cash out a CD, withdraw money from your 401k, etc etc etc. I'll assume the money is available now and neither alternative is better or worse from a cash flow standpoint.

So if you're unable to do the repairs yourself, IMHO the relatively small cost difference makes the repairs a bad investment, and I would just replace the roof.
Thank you. The cash is available. And I could do it myself + recruit someone, but my expertise is not good enough for a complete supervision. I plan to stay in this house for 10-20 years, so this can be considered as a peace of mind or ... as a bad investment. Depends how you look at it.

So would you still do the whole roof?

Old 11-11-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhg566 View Post

Oh, and I forgot to mention that it is a steep roof (10/8, 10/10, something like this) so doing it alone and with no prior experience is hard and dangerous. I would gladly do it myself if it was flat, but this is not the case, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston