Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:06 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I know that's not new residents. I understood that part. The article said 403,000 NEW commuters daily. Like I said, that's 147,095,000 new commuters a year according to the article's statistics.
Nah, you read it wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
It could've been worded better, but it's obvious that it doesn't mean that we receive 403,000 new employees every day. Don't misinterpret the information. It just means that in addition to the Houstonians who live there, and work there, 403,000 new commuters from outside of Houston travel to Houston. (At least thats how I took it?)
Yeah, you're right. It just means that 403K commuters go into Houston every weekday, increasing the population during the day. It then falls back to normal when everyone returns to the suburbs at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 10:49 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
What percentage of that 403k is in the inner loop???

Old 11-15-2010, 10:58 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
It is for metro's not cities. Dallas Fort Worth has more than half a million more people than us, so you would think they would have a larger commuter number.

It also edged out places with much larger csa's such as LA, Chicago, Boston and the Bay area
Im pretty sure this data is per city, not Metro Area. See the first sentence:

"A while back the Census Bureau released numbers estimating the daytime population of various cities and counties - meaning the resident population plus incoming commuters for the day."

Meaning, this is by city and county, not metro area. And for that reason, it should come as no surprise that Houston leads the way.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:52 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Im pretty sure this data is per city, not Metro Area. See the first sentence:

"A while back the Census Bureau released numbers estimating the daytime population of various cities and counties - meaning the resident population plus incoming commuters for the day."

Meaning, this is by city and county, not metro area. And for that reason, it should come as no surprise that Houston leads the way.

yeah, I posted that then checked the actual tables.

However, even by percentages tho, Houston City gets more than Dallas City.

And it is not as obvios as you think. If it was obvious then Cities like LA and Chicago would have more than Houston and DC, and Dallas would have more than Boston, Atlanta or DC

Old 11-16-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
yeah, I posted that then checked the actual tables.

However, even by percentages tho, Houston City gets more than Dallas City.

And it is not as obvios as you think. If it was obvious then Cities like LA and Chicago would have more than Houston and DC, and Dallas would have more than Boston, Atlanta or DC
Actually, I think for Atlanta and Boston, that is also obvious. Both cities are full of skyscrapers, yet their total populations make up a small percentage of their total metro area. I would expect that.

Either way, Dallas has the 2nd highest ratio of residents to employees. We must be doing something right. Seems to contradict the whole "letting everything go to the burbs" notion.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:32 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Actually, I think for Atlanta and Boston, that is also obvious. Both cities are full of skyscrapers, yet their total populations make up a small percentage of their total metro area. I would expect that.

Either way, Dallas has the 2nd highest ratio of residents to employees. We must be doing something right. Seems to contradict the whole "letting everything go to the burbs" notion.
Not really. You just have to open your eyes and see all the major employment centers that are outside the City of Dallas (Las Colinas, DFW Airport, Legacy area, etc.).

Old 11-16-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:

what do you mean second highest ratio? There are at least 2 dozen cities with a higher ratio.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:55 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Nah, you read it wrong.
OK! I see now! It was a lil misunderstanding!

Old 11-16-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Not really. You just have to open your eyes and see all the major employment centers that are outside the City of Dallas (Las Colinas, DFW Airport, Legacy area, etc.).
Id, Microsoft repair center, UPS distribution, in Mesquite
about 20 other companies are head quartered in Irving
More than 30 in Plano

In fact it looks like a serious chunk of the metro's workforce works outside of Dallas

Old 11-16-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
what do you mean second highest ratio? There are at least 2 dozen cities with a higher ratio.
Re-read the article:

"Houston also has the highest employment to resident ratio of the ten largest cities at 1.48. Dallas is a close #2 at 1.42, but everybody else is way down between 1.09 and 1.24."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston