U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 08:36 PM

53 posts, read 74,294 times
Default Windstream especially slow at night?

I'm in Sugar Land and my Windstream 6 mb/s speed has been dropping to less than 1 mb/s in the evenings. Has anyone else in the area had this problem too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 09:28 PM

4,661 posts, read 8,499,413 times
Yes...it is frustrating me. It takes forever to load web pages with ads.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:35 PM

231 posts, read 353,116 times
not happening with comcast...

Old 11-15-2010, 07:21 PM

53 posts, read 74,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsearchingforahouse View Post
not happening with comcast...
So comcast in Sugar Land is consistently fast? ~5+ MB/sec?

Old 11-15-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklbucla View Post
So comcast in Sugar Land is consistently fast? ~5+ MB/sec?
yes - i can confirm that in New Territory. i am not an IT person but from what I understand, as the number of users increase, speed of data transmission on DSL lines drop.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:51 PM

183 posts, read 460,789 times
Quote:
yes - i can confirm that in New Territory. i am not an IT person but from what I understand, as the number of users increase, speed of data transmission on DSL lines drop.
You're very lucky you have had great internet service with Comcast. We tried Comcast 2 years ago and it was AWFUL! We had the internet and phone services. We had technicians out daily (sometimes multiple times a day). The internet and phone service were constantly dropping. The speed was nowhere near the speed they advertised. After a month, we went back to Windstream. Perhaps they have made huge improvements in the past 2 years since we had the service, but based on what we experienced, it is highly unlikely that I would use Comcast again for internet and phone.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slnt View Post
You're very lucky you have had great internet service with Comcast. We tried Comcast 2 years ago and it was AWFUL! We had the internet and phone services. We had technicians out daily (sometimes multiple times a day). The internet and phone service were constantly dropping. The speed was nowhere near the speed they advertised. After a month, we went back to Windstream. Perhaps they have made huge improvements in the past 2 years since we had the service, but based on what we experienced, it is highly unlikely that I would use Comcast again for internet and phone.
I have had Comcast (only internet) for the last 5 years, when I moved to NT 3 months ago, I decided to stay with Comcast since I have a VOIP phone for the house. Even with a wireless network and potentially 5 users every evening, we seem to be getting good speeds (upload & download).

Old 11-16-2010, 08:59 AM

3,644 posts, read 3,548,100 times
I didn't know the term "Windstream" was the name of an internet service provider. I saw the forum title and thought peopel were measuring the wind speed or something. I thought, "man, these guys really take the weather seriously out here".

Old 11-16-2010, 04:11 PM

183 posts, read 460,789 times
Quote:
I have had Comcast (only internet) for the last 5 years, when I moved to NT 3 months ago, I decided to stay with Comcast since I have a VOIP phone for the house. Even with a wireless network and potentially 5 users every evening, we seem to be getting good speeds (upload & download).
That's great! You must have had technicians who knew what they were doing when they set up both your VOIP and internet. We didn't! Wish we did, they had a great pkg deal going at the time.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:33 PM

4,661 posts, read 8,499,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slnt View Post
Same here. We had Comcast in New Territory and they frustrated me so much, I dumped them. And that was after I raved about them in 3 other states. Such a disappointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston