U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 03:01 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,634,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
I don't drink on school nights, am I to believe that you find the idea of a house built from stone impossible?

I suggest you try leaving this McKountry once in your life and going somewhere with a little history.

House - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Just do yourself a favor and move back to England, where you'd be happier.

I am not aware of any place in the United States that features houses (on a large scale) made out of stone as English Country Houses of the 17th Century were.

Of course, many of those old english country houses are impossible to maintain, drafty, cold, and damp---but hey, whatever floats your boat. Also, most English do not live in such houses, but instead live in relatively modern construction, which resembles that of the US (of comparable period).

Considering that I'm 54, I don't really need a house to last much longer than, say, 30-40 more years, max. Then I'll have a stone of a different type.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:07 PM

912 posts, read 1,678,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Your post said a whole lot of "nothing". Some of those "dump houses" you complain about in Houston would go for 2x the amount in Los Angeles, in areas where you wouldn't have to worry about driving down typical "Houston nasty" to get there, you would have to worry about if you're down with bloods or crips!
At least my post was written in something recognisable as English.

Regarding returning to England I haven't lived there for years but rest assured that when my current (very lucrative) contract expires I'll be going somewhere far nicer than this. I'll be happy to leave you and your ilk to wallow in mediocrity.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:58 PM

9,606 posts, read 9,680,512 times
Of course houses in England are built out of stone. They were built to withstand bombings while England waited for us to save the day.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:24 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,778,617 times
Quote:
So you're claiming that the majority of houses built here aren't timber frames or worse pre-fab construction? Poor quality rules the roost here and in most modern construction methods. Proper houses haven't built built anywhere commonly for hundreds of years IMO which is why the properties I own were constructed in the 17th and 18th century. OUT OF STONE.

BTW London Bridge was shipped to the USA, by an American, presumably so he could demonstrate to his fellow countrymen how civilised countries make a structure that will stand for hundreds if not thousands of years.

edit to add: actually he 'Americanised' (sic) it by building some temporary structure as it's core and just using the bridge's stone as cladding- typical American.

I suppose if you're just going to knock down your crappy, tasteless house and replace it with some other nasty looking trash every five minutes then longevity isn't important...........
Lol you pompus, self-important dumb azz, the London Bridge comment was to tell you that your head is under a rock if you can't find any "properly built" homes in Houston.

Also, your claim of pulling in a massive pay check stinks of BS & here's why: If you're wealthy & you can't stroll down your block & see well built homes of brick & STONE, something's not adding up in your story. Or are you a wealthy European living in a "3 little pigs" tract neighborhood?

Old 11-23-2010, 10:40 PM

9,958 posts, read 3,970,649 times
Quote:
I don't drink on school nights, am I to believe that you find the idea of a house built from stone impossible?

I suggest you try leaving this McKountry once in your life and going somewhere with a little history.

House - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You can believe whatever you like but of course you would be wrong, I'm fully aware that people build homes out of stone in areas where stone is plentiful and other building materials are not. I've left this "McKountry" more times than you could possibly count, my business takes me to these magical places you speak of where they build homes out of stone. Last time I checked people once built cars out of wood because it was plentiful, too bad they don't still do that right? People who built homes of stone hundreds of years ago also built outhouses in the back yard and used candles to read, we all long for those days again right?

I live in the greater Houston area, I live in a home built on a steel/concrete subframe and foundation which is insulated better than stone ever could be. The home itself is skinned with cement board and real life stone hand picked and imported from West Texas ( ) and the roof is a combination of steel and copper. It's designed to withstand 150mph winds, it's termite resistant and it's extremely energy efficient due to being fully insulated using blown in expanding foam. It's heated and cooled using a geothermal system that isn't typically found on anything built of stone in the 18th century.

In summary, your attempt at housing superiority is ridiculous and humorous at best.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:43 PM

2,637 posts, read 2,324,346 times
Quote:
At least my post was written in something recognisable as English.

Regarding returning to England I haven't lived there for years but rest assured that when my current (very lucrative) contract expires I'll be going somewhere far nicer than this. I'll be happy to leave you and your ilk to wallow in mediocrity.
If that was an attempt at a comeback, you failed miserably. I didn't know "recognisable" was even a word. Thanks for the English lesson man! Not to mention, the muddle sentences and wordiness of your post didn't even form what i call complete sentences.

Go ahead and leave us in mediocrity while you spend $3.00 to our $1.00. Enjoy yourself.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I didn't know "recognisable" was even a word. Thanks for the English lesson man!
No problem I'm happy to help out the functionally illiterate whenever I can. It's my way of giving a little something back to the US. Thanks for all the dollars.

recognisable - definition of recognisable by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
(US website)

That being the case I think it's best we gloss over the fact you can't understand my posts. I do try and dumb it down for the audience here. Obviously in your case I didn't go low enough down the scale.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:25 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,266,076 times
Dear Grunn,

You may wish to consider how the tone of your posts effects how others perceive you and as a result how they respond to your contributions. As for myself, I am using this message board as a resource for my move to Houston next year and I would appreciate it if the some of the regular posters on this board would show more consideration for others and, as an added bonus, those who already do so please do not respond to negative posts - it only prolongs the agony for those of us with a more healthy attitude towards life.

Thank you all in advance.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post
Dear Grunn,

You may wish to consider how the tone of your posts effects how others perceive you and as a result how they respond to your contributions. As for myself, I am using this message board as a resource for my move to Houston next year and I would appreciate it if the some of the regular posters on this board would show more consideration for others and, as an added bonus, those who already do so please do not respond to negative posts - it only prolongs the agony for those of us with a more healthy attitude towards life.

Thank you all in advance.
Have some reputation on me and welcome to the board

I do consider the tone of my posts most carefully. Sadly irony isn't something our American friends seem to understand.

I have a realistic view of life here in Houston and I think many of the problems some people perceive with my posts are due to the fact I don't join in with the circle-jerk Houston boosting but tell it as I see it.

Getting back on topic I don't see property in Houston as affordable when you take into account; quality of life, quality of construction, property taxes et all.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post

In summary, your attempt at housing superiority is ridiculous and humorous at best.
Could it be someone 'gets' it? Sorry I didn't read this earlier.

I'd still rather own an 'outdated' stone built house with character in a nice place however.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston