U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 12:42 PM

5,843 posts, read 2,598,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
You often hear people talk about moving to Texas to buy a cheap house and have this higher quality of life with all the city amenities.

But, does that really apply anymore? Sounds like most of the houses within the beltway are expensive, and the further you get outside of the beltway, the less access you'd really have to urban amenities anymore either.

So, I guess the basic question is, are people STILL moving to Texas to find their higher quality of life and cheaper housing with city amenities....or are those days long gone...(or never really there to begin with)?
Yes people are still moving to Texas for those reasons.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:19 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,636,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
How do you think Houston compares with Colorado Springs on affordability?
Property taxes are higher in Houston but there is a Colorado state income tax.

You can find affordable houses in Colorado Springs but the schools in some areas of Colorado Springs are not good at all and the city is having major budget issues.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:24 PM

108 posts, read 125,821 times
Grunn - you do realize, of course, that most houses in the UK are much smaller than houses in the U.S. I guess, being built out of stone and all, they are much harder to tear down and replace with larger, more comfortable and more affordable structures.

Additionally, you're comparing London to Houston. That is frankly absurd. London has truly amazing homes, yes, but to get an actual home 2,000 to 3,000 square feet in the London suburbs will cost several million dollars at a very minimum. In Houston, you can get 2,000 to 3,000 square feet for under 200K in some parts of the suburbs. Your posts are very distasteful and display a basic ignorance of economics.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:26 PM

108 posts, read 125,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Of course houses in England are built out of stone. They were built to withstand bombings while England waited for us to save the day.
Try to remember that Grunn is not representative of most English people. Most people over there can't believe the prices of homes in Houston and many of the ones that move here almost immediately get their own "little castle" in the suburbs.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:32 PM

7,295 posts, read 7,870,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Univ_Texas_Alum_30 View Post
Try to remember that Grunn is not representative of most English people. Most people over there can't believe the prices of homes in Houston and many of the ones that move here almost immediately get their own "little castle" in the suburbs.
Agree - I know some very nice people that really like it here.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:37 PM

912 posts, read 1,659,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
It's amusing how you try and insult this country, city, people, and culture
I don't try, I do. Glad I provide a modicum of jocularity however, it's awfully hard to find any real wit here in H-Town.

The fixation of some people here on England is charming but irrelevant (BTW England doesn't consist merely of 'London'- you need to get out more whatever your name is). For my own part I'm a citizen of the world and have lived in many parts of it, not particularly identifying with the country that I originate from. That's part of the reason I'm well qualified to comment on matters such as this.

Houston does not offer affordability or value for reasons I've set out earlier. Not to mention the fact that capital appreciation seems very unlikely in the short to midterm.

Still if it pleases you to feed your collective inferiority complexes then please be my guest.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:43 PM

2,784 posts, read 4,182,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
I don't try, I do.

The fixation of some people here on England is charming but irrelevant (BTW England doesn't consist merely of 'London'- you need to get out more whatever your name is). For my own part I'm a citizen of the world and have lived in many parts of it, not particularly identifying with the country that I originate from. That's why part of the reason I'm well qualified to comment on matters such as this.

Houston does not offer affordability or value for reasons I've set out earlier. Not to mention the fact that capital appreciation seems very unlikely in the short to midterm.

Still if it pleases you to feed your collective inferiority complexes then please be my guest.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:48 PM

Posting pictures with no text...........because you're an empty vessel with nothing to say...............

Old 11-25-2010, 09:55 PM

344 posts, read 646,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
...I'm here to experience US 'culture' at the expense of the company I work for. They'll be paying to send me back as I arrived, at the front of the plane, covering all expenses.
How nice for you. Here is a local bon mot that you can take back and use to amuse your friends and acquaintances: "If you don't like the way we do things here, don't let the door slap you on the ass on the way out."

Old 11-25-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLizardo View Post
How nice for you. Here is a local bon mot that you can take back and use to amuse your friends and acquaintances: "If you don't like the way we do things here, don't let the door slap you on the ass on the way out."

Cheers, I intend to leave as soon as my Visa expires, even the offer of a payrise in the tens of thousands has failed to retain my services beyond that happy day.

You really have no idea what a trial it is living with the roaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston