U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-04-2010, 08:40 PM

838 posts, read 2,128,750 times
Default Root barrier - totally a DIY project (report)

OK, folks. I have completed a root barrier installation yesterday. Here is the details.

Why?
If you have trees less than 3 yards away from your driveway, concrete slabs or foundation, a high chance is their roots will start to crawl under it, bend and crack it.
Left with no care for 5-15 years you may end up replacing your driveway (at best, and appr. $2K-5K worth of work) or having problems with your house foundation (at worst, and lots of lots of money).

Solution
They used to have interlocking metal/plastic panels called root barrier. They surround the trees or block the root access to the slab areas. This is the tradition.

Now an alternative would be a fiber barrier with pesticide capsules, that chemically deter roots from coming through. Biobarrier is one of a few names.

How much?
A roll of 20" x 100' Biobarrier costs around $450 online or from a local retailer. I have used half (say, $250 worth of material). I have also hired 2 Mexican street professionals and they have digged a 50' trench for around $500 (1.5-2 days job). A total of around $800 (including lunch for my skilled labor

http://www.signaturetreecare.com/images/photos/small/Root%20Barrier/Excavated%20fil%20and%20installed%20Bio%20barrier. jpg (broken link)

Resume
You can hire professionals and they will probably charge you $2000-4000 for this job. Or you can do it yourself for less than half.

However, please keep in mind that your project may have complications. More details here. If it does, it makes sense to hire professionals to at least evaluate the problem.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 10:13 PM

838 posts, read 2,128,750 times
Oh, I have just realized that it is a MUST-HAVE for pool owners with a tree nearby. The roots will break pool walls sooner rather then later.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston