U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-30-2010, 11:28 PM

913 posts, read 1,019,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I was going to stay in bed today but then I would've missed a lecture from someone who can't use line breaks.

Anyway, I like that we're going on about zoning here. For all that's made about zoning and Houston's lack of it, the growth pattern here has never been that different from other Sun Belt metros. They're all decentralized. They're all spread out. Even NYC has basically two CBDs in Lower and Midtown Manhattan, and it's not like nobody works elsewhere in the city.

But for what it's worth, you could take the most important employment and cultural centers in Houston and draw a fairly compact (by any American urban standard) triangle from Downtown/EC/TMC with Greenway, Uptown, Museum District etc. in the middle. Creating a transit infrastructure covering this space is hardly beyond the reach of modern man.

The only real problem (OMG HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM HERP DERP) is building that infrastructure with as little disruption to the existing built environment (and keeping expenses within sane limits) that came up in a time when rail of any kind was an afterthought across the nation.

The current rail line was an attempt to draw one side of that triangle, however many corners were cut.
As you obviously know what you are talking about, I'll just say keep up the good work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 12:04 AM
mm4

314 posts, read 279,778 times
There's a warped expectation of TOD timelines on both the D and H threads. Houston seems to be tracking about right with development along its line especially given its brief history and attenuated reach.

Boston's Lechmere station at one terminus of the Green Line opened in 1922 and until the late 1980s it hosted nothing more than what had already been established there when it was constructed. A candy factory, an old East Cambridge neighborhood of multifamily houses, an aging warehouse across the street (which didn't see adaptive reuse as apts. until the 21st century) and a small department store were pretty much it until a mall, apts. and a Lotus Development office and a few others went up a block or two away nearby in a spike of construction in the late 1980s. Even the Middlesex courthouse expansion in 1972 happened several blocks further away. Only in the last five years recently a modern apartment block was constructed across the street from the station.

A mid-1980s expansion of the MBTA's Red Line into Cambridge yielded several stations in popular squares that saw only two small three- or so story office/retail buildings per station constructed adjacent to them to this day, other than solidifying retail occupancy and upgrades to existing lease space. The last station on the line, Alewife, is a parking garage that catches inflow from the western suburbs and sat surrounded by vacant land, established housing project towers, scattered midrise office buildings, and a 1950s-era Arthur D. Little complex for decades until newer apt. towers were constructed nearby only a decade ago.

Other cities in the country fare similarly. TOD happens in its own time and way.

Last edited by mm4; 12-31-2010 at 01:31 AM..

Old 12-31-2010, 09:32 AM

913 posts, read 1,019,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
There's a warped expectation of TOD timelines on both the D and H threads. Houston seems to be tracking about right with development along its line especially given its brief history and attenuated reach.

Boston's Lechmere station at one terminus of the Green Line opened in 1922 and until the late 1980s it hosted nothing more than what had already been established there when it was constructed. A candy factory, an old East Cambridge neighborhood of multifamily houses, an aging warehouse across the street (which didn't see adaptive reuse as apts. until the 21st century) and a small department store were pretty much it until a mall, apts. and a Lotus Development office and a few others went up a block or two away nearby in a spike of construction in the late 1980s. Even the Middlesex courthouse expansion in 1972 happened several blocks further away. Only in the last five years recently a modern apartment block was constructed across the street from the station.

A mid-1980s expansion of the MBTA's Red Line into Cambridge yielded several stations in popular squares that saw only two small three- or so story office/retail buildings per station constructed adjacent to them to this day, other than solidifying retail occupancy and upgrades to existing lease space. The last station on the line, Alewife, is a parking garage that catches inflow from the western suburbs and sat surrounded by vacant land, established housing project towers, scattered midrise office buildings, and a 1950s-era Arthur D. Little complex for decades until newer apt. towers were constructed nearby only a decade ago.

Other cities in the country fare similarly. TOD happens in its own time and way.
In the Dallas area, downtown Las Colinas and TOD is a match made in heaven. After all, the urban development was originally designed as a TOD. So far, things are working out as planned. The Convention Center is close to completion while dirt from the nearby entertainment district has been given the full okay to start flying. This should spark the other nearby developments to get under way as well so that they will be completed by the time the orange line of the DART light rail arrives. I like what the city of Irving is doing. It has gone out to get entertainment without being weighed down with the burden of a sports team. Having far better sound quality than sport's arenas, the venue will be state of the art specifically designed for musical groups. Also, they aren't building a huge hotel to lower the vacancy rate for area hotels, but rather building two venues, the Covention Center and the Entertainment District, to help fill them up.
(Figure a lot of developments may wait to start their constuction so that their completion dates will match when DART completes the orange line to DFW connecting the airport with downtown Dallas.)

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 12-31-2010 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: tweak

Old 12-31-2010, 09:36 PM

645 posts, read 539,539 times
I must say I am quite impressed. its 1030pm on new years eve and the inbound train is about full! definitely exceeded my expectations.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:59 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,351,348 times
Looks like the rail is starting back up again: Metro getting Houston light rail projects back on track | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 01-05-2011, 02:20 PM

657 posts, read 1,634,356 times
That's good news. Sounds like the mayor has things back on track.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:24 PM

13,387 posts, read 14,430,511 times
That's great news for Houston.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:52 AM

10,180 posts, read 4,716,499 times
I just hate the Texas State Government, I hate the state government a lot, text book changing, succession talking, economy ruining, budget cutting idiots in the Texas State Government. I love the city of Houston very much but I hate the state of Texas, and especially the psychologically impaired retards that run this state:
Budget-cut plan puts light rail expansion on the line | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Why cant these idiots run the state properly?

Old 01-31-2011, 08:58 AM

13,387 posts, read 14,430,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I just hate the Texas State Government, I hate the state government a lot, text book changing, succession talking, economy ruining, budget cutting idiots in the Texas State Government. I love the city of Houston very much but I hate the state of Texas, and especially the psychologically impaired retards that run this state:
Budget-cut plan puts light rail expansion on the line | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

It's a reason why I can't vibe with the state that much anymore even though I think this is more of a national issue than state issue though slightly since Cornyn is a member that may cut funding. Houston ALWAYS hits a roadblock with politicians when it comes to building mass transit. Oh but when a road is planned, they will do all they can to get that built.

Quote:
The Metro board has just hired the C2 Group, a lobbying firm adept at pitching mass transit to members of Congress. If Republican cutbacks prevail, Metro has plans to buy only 29 of 105 planned rail cars and to abandon the North and Southeast lines, completing only a half-mile stretch of the Southeast line linking the East End and Main Street lines.
Just read this. Ridiculous.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:21 AM

1,264 posts, read 1,699,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I just hate the Texas State Government, <snip>
It's the FEDS that are cutting the money (maybe). What does this have to do with our state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston