Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 03:28 PM

543 posts, read 1,387,025 times

Advertisements

Do you know if it's possible to get a TX real estate license completely online? By that, I mean, can I study the materials online and then take the exams? If so, do you have a reputable online school that you would recommend. I can't attend physical classes as I have a full time day job but I can work at night on computer. I looked at the requirements and it requires class hours. I'm not sure what that means. Would online classes be qualified as 'class hours'?

Just so you know. I'm not interested earning a living as real estate agent. I'm not looking to sell or list homes for customers, etc...I wanted to get the license to serve my own specific needs and my family's needs.
MNCold.

Last edited by MNCold; 12-06-2010 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 03:31 PM

543 posts, read 1,387,025 times
Also, I'd appreciate if you have any recommendation of a broker that I can have hang my license with. I'm looking for low cost broker (but reliable) as I don't need much support like office, marketing, etc... as I will only serve my own needs. I live in Clear Lake area.

Oh, by the way, what is a Inactive Saleperson License vs. active? If I'm only seeing house and buying houses for my own needs, can I do a 'inactive' license and not registered with a brokerage house?

Last edited by MNCold; 12-06-2010 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: Additional information

Old 12-06-2010, 06:03 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
MNCold, PM me for more info but this may not be a good idea. On one hand, I am glad you aren't going to try and use for other people, because I can't think of a city where it would be scarier if the agent didn't know it really well. On the other hand, it's an expensive venture just use it for an individual need. My costs per year to hold my license is in the thousands, by the time you figure in all the related costs. The low cost brokers give you what you pay for - nothing. Your other costs just go up because of what they don't cover.

There are different online companies - it doesn't really matter. They all teach to the test - and therefore, really teach nothing. That's where a good broker comes in after that license is issued. Your education really starts then. Over 85% of new agents last less than a year. I am not trying to be negative - I have had a few clients that I thought would be good at this and suggested it to them. They also knew the city very well and had the kind of curiosity that helps. One was an investor where it made perfect sense that she do it, in the buy for their investment properties. I am good at it, but I swear, she is just as able and has a good feel for it. She could save money by doing it herself by shifting the commission to their closing costs - and she declined (still think she should, but, hey, I'll keep working with them and take the money) because she has seen up close the issues that arise. LOL - I think she just thinks two heads are better than one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston