U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:39 AM

119 posts, read 257,114 times

Advertisements

Hi, is there anybody living in Bridgeland or have lived in Bridgeland before? If so, can you share what you like and don't like about living in Bridgeland. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 09:54 AM

95 posts, read 166,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc300 View Post
Hi, is there anybody living in Bridgeland or have lived in Bridgeland before? If so, can you share what you like and don't like about living in Bridgeland. Thanks.
My wife and I have considered moving to Bridgeland on several occasions from our house in Coles Crossing but have not pulled the trigger yet. We also have great friends that moved out there this past January that we visit all of the time. I'm also a Realtor out here and show houses there quite a bit.

Pros:

* The pool area - They have an amazing pool area that we frequented quite a few times this summer. The kids love it!
* Parks - There is a park with .25 miles of every house
* Free equipment rentals for activities such as kayaking, paddle boats, and frisbee golf
* Fitness room and lighted tennis courts
* Year round activities -- Naturefest, Howl-O-Ween Fest, monthly outdoor movies, etc
* Miles and miles of hiking, biking, and jogging trails
* Underground utilities - You really notice the difference this makes if you look at Bridgeland and Towne Lake back-to-back. No lines whatsoever in Bridgeland while you see them everywhere in Towne Lake.
* Equivalent builder houses cheaper versus other areas of Houston -- Compare house prices for builders such as David Weekley, Perry, and Highland Homes in Bridgeland versus other large communities such as Cinco Ranch, The Woodlands, Telfair, etc. Homes in Bridgeland are always cheaper.
* Convenient to the freeway, Hwy 290
* Lots of shopping near by - The Outlet Mall, Target, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, Movie Theater, etc.
* A lot of builders which means lots of options for houses.
* Cy-Fair School District -- This is the main reason people look to move out here.

Cons:

* Taxes! - The tax rate is about 3.7%
* Hwy 290 Traffic - Will eventually be expanded, but no definite dates on that expansion yet.
* Narrow streets -- You cannot park a car on each side of the street in Bridgeland with enough room for a 3rd car to pass between them
* The Town Center is going to be built around Grand Parkway which still has not been approved yet
* No trees where houses are built but this is the case with all of the new subdivisions in Cypress. All of the treed areas are built out. We are left with only they Katy Prairie to build on. With that said, there are trees around the lakes that are built around Cypress Creek. This is where Oak Meadow Park, the disc golf course, and Cypress Creek Trail are.
* Smaller lots for the price. A good comparison here is Perry Homes between Bridgeland and Cypress Creek Lakes, the master planned community directly across Fry. The same floor plan goes for about the same price both places. However, the lot size in Bridgeland is about 7500 sqft while the size in CCL is about 14,000 sqft.
* Given its size, they will be building in Bridgeland for a very long time. Some people say this is a con for resale. I personally think it is a wash.
* Will eventually span 3 school districts. This is years away, but Bridgeland will eventually have houses in Cy-Fair, Katy, and Waller school districts. Not sure if this is a con or just an interesting tid-bit of information.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Old 12-10-2010, 10:30 AM

789 posts, read 1,058,884 times
I have friends in Bridgeland and agree with whats has been posted so far. I love the amenities they have, but I don't like the entrance to the neighborhood. The way it is set up, a lot of people get to their home by taking a worn out back road that connects in the middle of the neighborhood. Its strange, and not very nice. The streets are narrow, the lots are small, but the homes are nice.

Id buy based on what you would USE, not what sounds neat. If you would use a larger lot more often than Bridgeland's amenities, shop elsewhere. I think it is wonderful for people approaching an empty nest stage in their life.

I would just stress good common sense when it comes to buying any house. You make money when you buy, not when you sell. You aren't getting a good deal unless the seller doesnt like the deal he takes. Lowball, accept sellers irate response with indifference, repeat as necessary.

It's not showfriends, it's showbusiness.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:08 PM

Are there many cars that park on the side of the street in Bridgeland? I don't recall seeing a lot of cars parking on the side of the street.

Also, is it safe to leave your car overnight on your driveway or on the side of the street?

How is the overall safety in Bridgeland? Any home burglary or people stealing cars or anything to be worried about? We have two very young kids.

If you forget to close the garage door for several hours or maybe even overnight, do you worry that some items in your garage will be stolen? Like your bike or tools will be gone.

During summer, are there a lot of bugs like mosquitoes in the backyard? I don't see many trees or bushes around the houses, so seems like there shouldn't be a lot of bugs. Someone in the forum mentioned that there are flying cockroaches and some kind of noisy flying bugs. Is this true in Bridgeland?

Old 12-10-2010, 12:24 PM

10,300 posts, read 10,742,750 times
Bridgeland spans into the Katy school district. That's a huge subdivion.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:02 PM

Crime is not a huge issue in Bridgeland right now. According to Crime Reports, there has been 1 crime in the past 30 days. That can obviously change at the drop of a hat, but not a huge deal right now.

Bridgeland has all of the same bugs that the rest of Houston has including mosquitoes, especially with Bridgeland having Cypress Creek as a border along with all of its lakes. Houston is notorious for our abundance of large mosquitoes. There is a reason the new minor league baseball team in Sugar Land is going to be called the "Skeeters". ;-)

Flying roaches do live here but I honestly have not seen one fly in a few years. Scared the crap out of me the first time I did see one fly when I moved here 20 years ago, though. I did not know such a thing existed!

Old 12-10-2010, 04:12 PM

108 posts, read 128,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyfairre View Post
My wife and I have considered moving to Bridgeland on several occasions from our house in Coles Crossing but have not pulled the trigger yet.
What is the point of moving from Coles Crossing to Bridgeland? Unless you are just upgrading your house, it seems like there would be no tangible benefit to making that move.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Univ_Texas_Alum_30 View Post
What is the point of moving from Coles Crossing to Bridgeland? Unless you are just upgrading your house, it seems like there would be no tangible benefit to making that move.
We have 20 month old twins in addition to a 4 year old boy. We purchased our current house thinking we would have 2 kids, not 3. ;-)

All things being equal, we would prefer a new house versus a resale. If Coles was still building, we would most likely just purchase another house here. I still keep my eye out on new houses to hit the market in Coles just in case something comes up that meets our criteria.

Assuming that nothing comes up in Coles and we decide to move anyway, we will mostly likely move to Bridgeland or Towne Lake due to their amenities or to Cypress Creek Lakes due to the large lots.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:14 AM

About the large mosquitoes, how bad is the problem? Are there many many mosquitoes everywhere during summer? Will there be mosquitoes biting me everytime I'm out in my backyard or walking around in Bridgeland?

Old 12-11-2010, 11:07 AM

7,351 posts, read 8,059,337 times
Spray insect repellent on you and the kids (arms and legs) when out in the summer. There are also mosquito-repellent candles for the back yard and electronic bug zappers. If you like garlic, eat it, the mosquitos don't like it. That last may be a myth, I don't know, but it seems to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston