U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 12:11 AM

5 posts, read 24,348 times

Advertisements

HI! I would like to get some personal opinion from people about the The Woodlands commmunity. Is it worth the price of homes and paying high taxes in that area to live there? (the schools, the houses, crime rates and amenities of parks and recreational activities in the area) Any input is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2006, 12:34 AM

92 posts, read 492,673 times
I've lived in Texas all my life, and have in just the past few years heard of The Woodlands, but had never been there.
Just got back from a conference there, and I was very impressed wtih the community. Looks like a pretty upscale, ritzy community to me.
And beautifuly countryside/scenery: the Piney Woods.
Have heard only good things about the schools there.
I'd certainly consider living there if I could afford it.

HI! I would like to get some personal opinion from people about the The Woodlands commmunity. Is it worth the price of homes and paying high taxes in that area to live there? (the schools, the houses, crime rates and amenities of parks and recreational activities in the area) Any input is much appreciated.[/quote]

Old 08-19-2006, 12:23 PM

11 posts, read 61,593 times
Default The Woodlands

The Woodlands area is in my opinion a wonderful place to live. The schools are probably the reason the taxes are so high, but to me it is worth it. Exellent. The crime rate is low, as far as violent crimes. I guess every community has some.
I have lived in the area almost 20 years and have never been broken into or anything, home or car, but I read it does happen. My vehicle been broken into visiting other areas of Houston. Parks, trails and jogging trails are abundant. Restaurants are plenty here. Traffic sucks sometimes on Fridays and during rush hour. Nice friendly area, lots of community churches and groups here. Hope this helps.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:59 PM

95 posts, read 301,730 times
I grew up in the woodlands- left for 8 years- and have returned to the area. We live on the other side of I-45 in Imperial Oaks- Oak Ridge Schools. It is more affordable over here- and there are a TON of new communities (Bender's Landing, Spring Trails) that give you that same feel without the extreame high prices and taxes of the woodlands, but you can still be in the woodlands to shop/eat/be entertained within 5 miles or so.

it is HOT here during the summer. We are looking to move because we can't take the summers any more. But other than that and lack of outdoor activities (no camping/hiking/etc)- I don't think that there is a better place to live consiering cost of living and quality of life.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:35 PM

9 posts, read 28,715 times
Lived in the Woodlands from 95-05 (although 2 yrs was in Houston due to a job but moved right back!). The Woodlands is a great community. It has grown quite a bit but it's still pretty much the same. The wooded scenery is wonderful, the schools, shopping, easy commute, and low crime are all good points. It is also very well-maintained... people are friendly and most say hello. At least that's how I remember it!

Parks - Plenty! Every neighborhood has a couple.
Villages - The newer ones are Sterling Ridge & Alden Bridge; if I recall correctly I think there's about six or more now
Heat - Hot and humid but I really do think the trees help to some degree
Entertainment - Lots of restaurants and shopping, parks, etc.; if you want a lake, Lake Conroe is just 15 miles north

Living in the Woodlands, especially if you also work there, was like living in a self-sustaining town hehe. There were times I never left its boundaries unless meeting friends somewhere in Houston =]

Old 11-11-2006, 01:34 AM

1,186 posts, read 4,440,886 times
Taxes aren't high in the Woodlands, and currently The Woodlands lies in a REGULATED utility market that pays about 1/3 to 1/2 less in Utility bills than those of us in Deregulated markets. That's right, we have more choice, but our choices still leave us paying twice as much as those in Regulated markets elsewhere. Figure $200/month savings on utilities living in the Woodlands.

One the flipside, you have to pay the anti riff-raff HOA fees which are something like $1200-1500/year. Elsewhere in the Houston area, you'd pay about $600-$700 /year in HOA fees in a comparable community.

So you still come out better.

It's a nice community.

Old 11-11-2006, 02:19 PM

919 posts, read 1,213,080 times
Default What is the tax rate range in the Woodlands?

I've been there, like it, would consider living there in the future. My question is, what is the the tax rate in the Woodlands? I know that it varies depending if you live in an older home in one the older villages compared to the newer ones. I know in Katy it ranges from 2.8% or so for an older home to 3.75%-4.0% for the newer homes in a new development.

What is the tax range in The Woodlands?

Old 11-16-2006, 06:19 PM

23 posts, read 38,003 times
i've from the woodlands also, and just love it! a lot of expensive homes, but there are affordable ones too. the schools are great, crime is low, lots of shopping and restaurants.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:30 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,558,580 times
Regarding the HOA in The Woodlands, what kind of "anti riff-raff" services does it provide? Also, is there any provision to prohibit dogs out in yards barking incessantly for no reason? (That's a pet peeve of mine.)

Old 01-14-2007, 10:43 PM

22 posts, read 89,714 times
Default Tax Rate in The Woodlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
I've been there, like it, would consider living there in the future. My question is, what is the the tax rate in the Woodlands? I know that it varies depending if you live in an older home in one the older villages compared to the newer ones. I know in Katy it ranges from 2.8% or so for an older home to 3.75%-4.0% for the newer homes in a new development.

What is the tax range in The Woodlands?
I would really like to know this answer, too! Any residents out there? What are the HOA fees? Any special MUD or other taxes an out of stater would not be aware of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston